throwback week

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

A "Sharing the Ball" Math Problem

Last year, Marc Bulger completed 370 passes.

Assume that he is going to have the same number of completions in 2007. How would you like to see those completions distributed among the Rams' extremely deep receiving corps which now include Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael, Joe Klopfenstein, Dane Looker and Steven Jackson, and may also include a rookie WR or RB.

Here's my stab at this problem (a good problem to have):

Torry Holt: 90
    Isaac Bruce: 70
    Drew Bennett: 45
    Randy McMichael:50
    Joe Klopfenstein: 30
    Steven Jackson: 50
    Other (rookie WR/RB, Looker): 35

The biggest change from last year would be to use Jackson less as a receiver, and to throw to the TEs a lot more.

Anyone else want to give this one a try?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: A "Sharing the Ball" Math Problem

With BLOCKING tightends blocking, the screen pass becomes a potent tool not previously found in our tool belt.

Release the dog of war. To quote Suriman "Toooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........
    Last edited by live4ramin; -03-16-2007 at 12:27 PM.
    "The horror"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Isaac Bruce: 75
    Steven Jackson: 65
    Randy McMichael:55
    Drew Bennett: 45
    Joe Klopfenstein: 25
    Other (rookie WR/RB, Looker):15
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

maineram Guest

I'd go with;

Holt 75
    Bruce 60
    Bennett 55
    McMichael 50
    Klop 40
    Jackson 60
    Other 50

Why,

YAC - Holt & Bruce will both have lower numbers sharing with others, but the YAC is going up for both of them. Both Bennett & McMichael will thrive between the hashmarks this year which will open things up downfield for H & B. Linehan does love to throw the ball deep, and they'll both see more one on one coverage on the outside. Add in Jackson on screens and Klop releasing late and things will open up even more.
    I"m going with 50 other, when we use two back sets with two TE's. They'll be picking up a solid #2 this year and using Jackson as a decoy.

Maineram -

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I don't feel like breaking down the math, but this is an offense all coaches dream about. If our D can at least be middle of the road, how can we not win it all?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I don't feel like breaking down the math, but this is an offense all coaches dream about. If our D can at least be middle of the road, how can we not win it all?
    Indeed, but I think we should still stick with what worked last year...Dumping the ball off to Jackson. Those types of plays are tremendous and will only be better with a better TE. Holt and Bruce will be sharing more, but will still put up good numbers. I would have to say Klop and Bennett get the least catches...But keep in mind thats also not a bad thing.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Geez!

3 of the 5 people (60%, by the way) who have responded have refused to do the simple math problem. This, I fear, is a true indication of the deficiencies of our school system.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Geez!

3 of the 5 people (60%, by the way) who have responded have refused to do the simple math problem. This, I fear, is a true indication of the deficiencies of our school system.
    Sorry to disappoint you AV but I'm refusing to do the math aswell! What I would say is any other team would love to have the playmakers we have,and in the NFL injuries happen in the blink of an eye therefore it is imperative to have a number of weapons on offense to rely on..:l

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

someone better Catch the ball, there was way too many drops last year.

sprtsmac Guest

The math problem isn't that easy. You have to take into account that now we have 4 receivers that had more than 45 receptions plus Holt did drop the ball more than normal last year (at least it seemed like it). There are quite a few variables that could just be blowing peoples minds right now and that's why they can't do the math. Then again, maybe the problem really isn't that hard to begin with. Anyways, here is what I came up with:

Holt-85
    Bruce-70
    Bennett-50
    McMichael-48
    Klop-30
    Jackson-50
    Other-37

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    With BLOCKING tightends blocking, the screen pass becomes a potent tool not previously found in our tool belt.

Release the dog of war. To quote Suriman "Toooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........
    That's a good point I think. As an example I always loved watching the way the Chiefs used Priest Holmes in their offense back when they were at their best, lots of dump-offs and screen passes behind a great offensive line with a pulling guard or two. Steven Jackson fits very well into such a role I think.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'm with the math like I am with the draft and cap situations. I'll defer to the CLAN brainiacs.
    "The horror"

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Steven Jackson: 70
    Isaac Bruce: 65
    Drew Bennett: 50
    Randy McMichael:45
    Joe Klopfenstein:30
    Other (rookie WR/RB, Looker):20
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -03-17-2007 at 09:27 PM.

keith m. klink Guest

i believe with the level of talent upgrades on the offense, thatbulgers numbers will rise just a bit , maybe to 390-415 completions , so i added a few for you guy's.HOLT-92 , BRUCE-73 , BENNETT-51 , MCMIKE-53 , KLOP-27 , JAX-61 , LOOKER&others-33,. that is 390. which i think is feasable.

Brain Daddy Guest

I took a look at each player's stats over the last few years to see what percentage of their team's receptions they caught. Torry Holt usually accounts for around 25% of the Rams' receptions, though he's gone as high as 31%. Isaac Bruce usually gets 18-22%, Bennett 16-22%, and McMichael between 19-23%. I would think there will be fewer dump offs to Steven Jackson, and with so many good receivers, I think it'll cut into Holt's percentage. Randy McMichael will force Klopfenstein to the bench.

T. Holt - 24% - 89
    I. Bruce - 18% - 67
    D. Bennett - 17% - 63
    R. McMichael - 18% - 67
    S. Jackson - 13% - 48
    J. Klopfenstein - 3% - 10
    Other - 7% - 26

Numbers not exact due to rounding.