Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Shaun Hill should look to a QB who got his shot in 1999

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Shaun Hill should look to a QB who got his shot in 1999

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Great point. With Ritchie and Crockett, they utilized their FB more than Fisher's Rams, but a lot of similiarities between Wheatley/Kaufman and Stacy/Mason/Cunningham. We don't have a Tim Brown, but I like our receivers better than theirs in '99. I like our DL a whole lot better, even with pro bowler Darrell Russell on theirs. I like our LBs better as well. Pretty sure they have us in the secondary though. I don't see any Woodson/Allen/Turner clones in ours.

And they were just 3 years from going to the big show. Ok, I'll take it.
    Duplicate post. barely readable once, never mind twice..lol...
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:04 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Great point. With Ritchie and Crockett, they utilized their FB more than Fisher's Rams, but a lot of similiarities between Wheatley/Kaufman and Stacy/Mason/Cunningham. We don't have a Tim Brown, but I like our receivers better than theirs in '99. I like our DL a whole lot better, even with pro bowler Darrell Russell on theirs. I like our LBs better as well. Pretty sure they have us in the secondary though. I don't see any Woodson/Allen/Turner clones in ours.

And they were just 3 years from going to the big show. Ok, I'll take it.
    I think they used FBs like Fisher/Schotty use TEs in this H-back role. Watching Hill's tape from the last couple of pre-seasons, I've seen that Hill doesn't seem to bail on plays as much as Clemens tended to do; he reads the field better & will move the chains if his backs and TEs can catch the ball consistently, rather than gunslinging. Not to say that he can't improv or throw a deep ball accurately, inc the corner fade that Kellen couldn't hit to save his life. In short, the guy can take advantage if his skill players can do their jobs.

RealRam is online now Registered User

That's interesting, because I'm pretty sure that 2000 NFL MVP trophy on my mantle has my name on it.....said Marshal Faulk.
    You are correct sir (post now edited). Thanks.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Listen everybody wants to say that Hill doesn't have Holt, Hakim, Bruce, Faulk or Proehl. Well here are some facts. Holt and Hakim were rookies. Faulk prior to his trade was a me first guy. Proehl was just Proehl. This team is about to make some noise watch and learn.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Listen everybody wants to say that Hill doesn't have Holt, Hakim, Bruce, Faulk or Proehl. Well here are some facts. Holt and Hakim were rookies. Faulk prior to his trade was a me first guy. Proehl was just Proehl. This team is about to make some noise watch and learn.
    Plus, if you read my first post, I wasn't comparing Hill to Warner, so Warner's supporting cast isn't really relevant.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

If Hill becomes our version of Gannon I hope he does better in the Superbowl. The Raiders got a BIG beating by the Bucs in that game.....

Well any given sunday. Go RAMS!

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Everybody is saying that because it's the truth.

Faulk "prior to his trade was a me me me guy" you said it yourself, "prior". Sure when he first got here he wasn't exactly happy, but he still played and competed on a HoF level no matter how he felt at first. No RB we have is even close to what Faulk was, and unless one of them plans on being one of the top 5 RBs ever, there is no comparison. I don't see that happening, although if it did that would be great.

Holt as a rookie was better than any WR we have right now on this team in my opinion. Just watching Holt on the field in 99 you could see he was going to be very good. Learning from Bruce also helped him immensely.

Without Proehl we have ZERO SuperBowl wins. So he is more than "just Proehl" even if his numbers don't show it in 99, his experience speaks volumes.

Hakim was not a rookie in 99, his first year was 98. He also had 8 Receiving TDs in 99. The only Rams WR with more than 8 TDs in a season is Britt with 9, and that was before he was even a Ram and his career started trending downward with his injuries and behavior. I do hope he revives his career here.

Those are the facts, jjigga.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we make some noise, crush everyone, and win the Superbowl, but as of now there is no comparison between the 99 starting offense and the 2014 starting offense of the Rams. To suggest otherwise by trying to bring down the 99 guys insinuating that it doesn't matter that those 1999 guys aren't here to suit your point isn't realistic or factual.

I hope Hill can pull a "Gannon" and we make some noise, but sometimes hope and reality are two different things.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

RealRam is online now Registered User

Without Proehl we have ZERO SuperBowl wins. So he is more than "just Proehl" even if his numbers don't show it in 99, his experience speaks volumes. -- Ramsbruce

Ahhh, RP! ...

Who will our next '1st Down' signaler be. Tavon Austin? Stedman Bailey? Other:____________________

Rawr is offline Registered User

I really don't think you can downplay the key guys from the GSOT without looking foolish. Even as a rookie, Holt was better than anybody this team has.
    ramsbruce likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Can we stay on topic, please?

The point is, anyone who thinks that a 34 year old journeyman QB cannot emerge as a quality starter should consider Rich Gannon.

Its been done before.

Maybe it will happen again.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Heck you don't need to go back no further then last year. Josh McCown journeyman came on and at 35 had 13 TD one INT and is now in the mix for a starting gig with Tampa Bay.
    bradwill likes this.

bruce4life is online now Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Heck you don't need to go back no further then last year. Josh McCown journeyman came on and at 35 had 13 TD one INT and is now in the mix for a starting gig with Tampa Bay.
    Wasn't Steve Beurlein early 30s before starting with Carolina?

bradwill is offline Registered User

Look at what Josh McCown did last year....at age 34 in his QB backup experience. All hope is not lost.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12