RamWraith is offline Registered User

Shaw has big words on Martz

"I'm perplexed that there would be any speculation about his status," Shaw said. "He's averaged 10 wins a season as a head coach. How many victories did we average here (in St. Louis) before 1999? Five?"

The Rams went 22-42 in their first four seasons in St. Louis (1995-98), an average of 5.5 victories a year.

"If people think it's easy to win 10 games a year in the NFL, then they don't understand the league," Shaw said. "I think Mike's doing really well. I feel that he has the team in position to compete for a playoff spot and win the division."

general counsel Guest

Re: Shaw has big words on Martz

I love shaw. I wish i could figure out how to get him to sign a baseball for me.

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Mike Martz is the least of the Rams concern. Especially during football season. Yea, the squib kick against NO at home may not have been the best decision on the planet, but going deep in OT against Seattle early was pretty brilliant don't you think?

elAcky Guest

Martz is growing on me... he seems to have learnt from his personal mistakes last year and made corrections... if we took draft day away from him and sorted out the DC position then he would be amongst the leagues best without question.

RamTime Guest

His learning didn't come cheap but by God it has arrived.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Whoah there partners...

You guys actually think he's now learned????

I don't think the madness will ever end. We live and die by the sword, which includes that fact that be be the mad scientist, you also, by definition, are absent-minded and a bonehead.

But it always makes for an intersting Sunday, doesn't it!!

I wouldn't have it any other way.

GO RAMS!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm under the impression that we have to learn a heck of a lot more than Martz. I mean, we witnessed the Rams offense at it's finest last Sunday. The pass sets up the run. Most fans were saying "finally Martz gets it with a balanced attack." Well, that "balance" came from success through the air early and killing the clock late.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I totally agree with the pass setting up the run, but since we're talking about Martz learning, I think the prior 2 weeks (Fins/Pats) Martz was still reacting to the media's concerns about the running game and he bought into it and tried to establish the run early in those games.

But this offense and Martz' system works the other way, as you said. Get Passing, which will put the defense on their heals, and then you open up some runs and Martz' playbook, plus you then are able to grind out the clock late in the game. It's a good recipe.

Hopefully we'll stick to it the rest of the year. I also am real happy with seeing Marshall getting more involved in the passing game, and not just on check-downs. (i know I've said that a few times already, but I think it's really key to this offense)