RamWraith is offline Registered User

Is Shaw, Martz or Mortensen crossing the line

This is clip from an article from Mortensen. This is starting to get out of control. Shaw really doen't think like this...right?
    -------------------------

ESPNísí Chris Mortensen said. ď. . . Martz even told me that in contract discussions in June, team president John Shaw explained that the Rams only needed to be a .500 team, occasionally go to the playoffs and suggested that going to the Super Bowl would cost the team money because of expenses incurred by that event.

maineram is offline Registered User

Re: Is Shaw, Martz or Mortensen crossing the line

:tut , :tut, :bored:

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    This is clip from an article from Mortensen. This is starting to get out of control. Shaw really doen't think like this...right?
    -------------------------

ESPNísí Chris Mortensen said. ď. . . Martz even told me that in contract discussions in June, team president John Shaw explained that the Rams only needed to be a .500 team, occasionally go to the playoffs and suggested that going to the Super Bowl would cost the team money because of expenses incurred by that event.
    Why do I get the feeling this is true?

rampete is offline Registered User

i don't know if this really applies now, but i remember distinctly reading a sports segment in the mid 80s that for some teams a playoff birth is akin to reaching a point of diminishing return in terms of revenue...

please correct me if i'm mistaken, but unless the games are played on the teams own turf and stadium, where ticket sales will inflate the revenue, the team gets no more money from the tv deals than a 4-12 team that is out of the playoffs...what defacto owners like shaw and all administrators dread is the cost of travel, lodging and players reaching playoff incentives in their contracts, which all comes out of the owners pocket...

interesting fact is that the top two teams in terms of revenue earning last year was the redskins and cowboys, followed by the pats. so shaw has it right, you don't need to be a contender to make hundreds of millions in net profits every year...

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Why do I get the feeling this is true?

If it was said by Shaw then everyone here needs to boycot them! After all he is doing this to us and the players and coaches! Like i said many times before! WE PAY THEIR SALARIES and if we quit paying their ways maybe then they will listen to us and continue to put a good team out there for us!