MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Shaw, Ziggy, and the Rams future ..

With the passing of Georgia and the franchise's future extremely hazy at this point, I am not optimistic. I read somewhere recently prior to Georgia's death that Shaw was likely to move on after the inevitable. In the same article (don't have a link but I believe it was one of the PD writers) it stated that Ziggy was going to try and acquire even more power. It has also been noted that Chip is not eager to sell and could hang on to the team for another 5-10 years (Bernie M.) If this were to happen, lord knows what will become of our Rams.

Question: Does anyone know if Chip and Lucia received equal shares of the Rams which would put them at 30% each? If this is the case then would not Stan K. be the majority owner?

If Chip wishes to keep the team "in the family" according to his father's (and Georgia's) purported wishes, it is entirely possible he could hand over control of the team to Ziggy, which in my estimation would be going from the frying pan into the fire. If Ziggy is as we speak trying to gain even more power and stay put as the Rams new CEO, lord help us. I can only hope that Stan K will somehow become the new majortiy owner and install a new regiime. Read: fire Ziggy and hire a real GM, a real football guy. Right now I'm far from feeling warm and fuzzy about the future of our Rams. Anybody have any words of wisdom to cheer me up?
    :x

NJRamsGuy Guest

Re: Shaw, Ziggy, and the Rams future ..

I think to technically be the majority owner, you need to hold more than 50%. I'm not positive on that, though.

I read the Dispatch article on this as well. Looks like Chip wouldn't own the team forever since he's based in LA. And Stan K can't own the Rams. The NFL has a rule that you can't own two separate sports teams outside the same city or a city that doesn't have an NFL team. Stan owns the Denver Nuggets and since the Broncos reside there, he cannot own the Rams.

I hear you on Ziggy though. I'm not fan myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NJRamsGuy View Post
    The NFL has a rule that you can't own two separate sports teams outside the same city or a city that doesn't have an NFL team. Stan owns the Denver Nuggets and since the Broncos reside there, he cannot own the Rams.

I hear you on Ziggy though. I'm not fan myself.
    I know about the cross-owner rule, but in Jim Thomas's article it also stated:

"Kroenke is thought to be interested in owning a majority interest in the Rams. Rosenbloom likes Kroenke. And apparently the league does as well. In the spring of 1995, when the Rams' intended move to St. Louis was drawing heavy resistance from the league, some league owners and officials briefly discussed the idea that Frontiere should sell the club to Kroenke as a precondition to approving the move."

"So the league might be willing to work with Kroenke on the cross-ownership issue, but it would take time. Even though he is part owner, if Kroenke became majority owner, it would require a league vote."

Apparently you are correct about an owner needing more than 50% to be a "majority" owner, as in the same article Jim Thomas refers to Kroenke as a "minority owner"

It seems the NFL brass like Kroenke and might be willing to try and work something out .. we can only hope ...

NJRamsGuy Guest

It wouldn't be a bad move, but I don't Goodell or the owners letting the cross-ownership rule go. Goodell just doesn't seem like he likes to give in on, well, anything.

I hope that this can start resolving quickly though. Most teams that are in limbo like this can't draw free agents and stop spending money. (Look at the Florida Marlins.) That could make a long time of the Rams stuck in a quagmire.

Mooselini Guest

Ew. If Ziggy becomes the owner, we won't see a winning season until 2053.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Kroenke's investment in the Rams has quadrupled in the past 11 years. There is a chance that he would sell his basketball team in order to become owner of the Rams. I haven't looked into it, but I assume he would benefit more financially being an owner in the NFL rather than the NBA. He's also a native of Missouri and would probably love to own a team there. My dream scenario is that he sells the Nuggets and buys Chip's share of the Rams. I don't care what Bernie says.

:l

-jake-

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Ew. If Ziggy becomes the owner, we won't see a winning season until 2053.
    Ziggy will never become the owner. He isn't that rich. He is just a highly paid control freak .. not to worry.

Drew Guest

i`d like Stan to be the man, but only if he can put all or atleast most his fingers in our pie...i belive he has "interests" in quite a few sports teams apart from the Rams and Nuggets...the colorado hockey team,arsenal soccer/football club etc....even if its allowed, id prefer him to put the lions share of his energy etc...into us!

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    i`d like Stan to be the man, but only if he can put all or atleast most his fingers in our pie...i belive he has "interests" in quite a few sports teams apart from the Rams and Nuggets...the colorado hockey team,arsenal soccer/football club etc....even if its allowed, id prefer him to put the lions share of his energy etc...into us!
    I know next to nothing about him but if he went to the trouble to become the Rams majority owner, I'm sure he would. An NFL franchise is worth more than all his other sports teams combined by a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I have no doubt that he would were he to assume majority or complete ownership. From what I have read, he is widely respected in Denver, and considered a good owner. We could do alot worse than Stan Kroenke ..

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I like this guy he goes after the best. He not afraid of giving money to guys who have alot of potential or are proven in the league. From what i have observed from what he has done with the Nuggets i think he can translate to a great NFL owner.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-19-2008, 07:21 PM