Thread: Shivers signed

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Shivers signed

S Shivers Signs Three-Year Deal With Rams

Shivers, the Rams' fifth-round draft selection from Arizona State (158th overall), played in 36 games for the Sun Devils. Shivers is the first 2004 Rams' draft choice to sign a contract, and the 16th draft pick in the NFL to sign to this point.

general counsel Guest

Re: Shivers signed

Contract details are as follows. 3 years, 1.03 million, including a 111k bonus. year one base salary 230k, total cap hit in year one 267. Contract goes up base wise from there in the last two years.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Sweet. Thanks Wraith and GC for the news on our future starting safety! :ramlogo:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Rock on, I'm pumped to hear about this! I think this guy could really be a player for us!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Rams sign fifth-round draft pick
    By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    06/11/2004

The Rams signed safety Jason Shivers of Arizona State, their fifth-round choice (158th overall) in April's draft, to a four-year contract Thursday. The 6-foot, 201-pound Shivers turned in a strong showing at last month's minicamps and is a strong contender for a backup job behind Aeneas Williams and Adam Archuleta.

Shivers, whose agent is St. Louis-based Reggie Smith, landed a deal worth $1,031,000. Shivers receives a signing bonus of $111,000, plus base salaries of $230,000 this year, $305,000 in 2005 and $385,000 in '06.

"We've got that put to bed," Smith said. "It wasn't going to be a big deal to get that one done."

Shivers, 21, is a Phoenix native. He led Arizona State in tackles in each of his three seasons.

He was an All-Pacific 10 Conference honoree and a third-team All-American last year, and was named the Sun Devils' most valuable player on defense as well as their special teams MVP.

He played in 36 games for ASU, starting the final 34, before leaving after his junior season. He recorded 314 tackles, including two sacks and five others for lost yardage. He intercepted six passes, had three fumble recoveries and forced five fumbles.

Shivers averaged 26.4 yards on five kickoff returns and 5.3 yards on three punt returns.

He completed all but a few hours toward his degree in landscape architecture and business while also running his own company. Shivers Landscaping employs 20 people in Phoenix.

Though he played mostly free safety at ASU, Shivers said, "I knew everything as far as strong (safety). Right now, I feel like I know both positions very well."

He added that he believes his skills mesh nicely with the Rams' defensive schemes.

"The defense is beautiful," he said. "I'm happy where I am."