39thebeast is offline Registered User

Should Alex Barron be playing guard?

He would be closer to the QB so he could here the count better. He would have protection on the inside and outside and IMO huge upgrade on Cogs pass blocking wise. You can put Grecco on the outside and instantly have a better pass blocking line up. If Bulger has more time your are going to see better play from the WR's cough cough Torry Holt. You can even put cogs at center. Probably won't and can't happen this year, but its an idea.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Re: Should Alex Barron be playing guard?

oh.....so we are moving the line around again. Well Bulger, that ain't good.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

i think i hear what you're saying. so Greco would be on the outside and we know for a fact that would cause there to be an instant improvement in the Rams offensive line pass blocking...

sounds like a piece of cake.... explain to me again how we know a rookie guard could take over as the right side tackle and play better than Barron?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    oh.....so we are moving the line around again. Well Bulger, that ain't good.
    Like I said.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    i think i hear what you're saying. so Greco would be on the outside and we know for a fact that would cause there to be an instant improvement in the Rams offensive line pass blocking...

sounds like a piece of cake.... explain to me again how we know a rookie guard could take over as the right side tackle and play better than Barron?

Greco is a tackle...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

It would be nice. I want Leckey out of the line up. It's not like the line is stable anyways. Shake things up some more. We really really have nothing to lose...

eric2810 is offline Registered User

IF Barron Is Willing to Play Guard, Then the Starting Lineup should look a little something like this. This Lineup change upgrades our line instantly. Why not try it?

LT- Pace
    LG-Bell
    C-Cogs
    RG-Barron
    RT-Greco

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post

First of all Grecco is a tackle. I'm saying why not try it to help Barron out because he obviously isn't playing well at tackle. Cogs hasn't been playing well at guard and Leckey is just an abomination. The reason Grecco was drafted was to light a fire under Barron and challenge him for his spot if he didn't play well. There is no fire under Barron and he hasn't played well and gotten rid of old mistakes. Like i said before its most likely not going to happen because we don't have the time to impliment that change. This is more of an offseason move if we decide to keep the line intact because Barron has never played guard, Cogs would have to readjust to center, and Grecco would have to get more reps with the first unit.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

We'd be taking a punt on Greco, but I'm personally all for it, especially after the offseason.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    First of all Grecco is a tackle. I'm saying why not try it to help Barron out because he obviously isn't playing well at tackle. Cogs hasn't been playing well at guard and Leckey is just an abomination. The reason Grecco was drafted was to light a fire under Barron and challenge him for his spot if he didn't play well. There is no fire under Barron and he hasn't played well and gotten rid of old mistakes. Like i said before its most likely not going to happen because we don't have the time to impliment that change. This is more of an offseason move if we decide to keep the line intact because Barron has never played guard, Cogs would have to readjust to center, and Grecco would have to get more reps with the first unit.
    well he played both in college, and did pretty well at OT, but there must be either:
    A. something going on in practice that is keeping them (both he and Roy) off of the field or...
    B. The coaches are playing favorites

Either way it would be the wise move to get both of them on the field adn soon to see which direction we need to go in in the draft. Depending on the situation we may not need to draft a OT and we can go after another position or 2 or trade up using Torry Holt as leverage.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

As I understand it Greco was a tackle in college, but scouts said he might be better suited for guard. Personally, I'd prefer not trying to change Barron's position mid-season (I have no idea if he has experience at guard), but if Greco is doing well in practice, it might be worth giving him a chance to start. It would probably be a little ambitious for us to expect that he or Schuening would come in and be an immediate upgrade, though.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Guards have to be mobile. They must pull and lead block and be smarter than fat tackles. That's not Barron.
    "The horror"

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    Guards have to be mobile. They must pull and lead block and be smarter than fat tackles. That's not Barron.
    Wait, what now? Fat tackles? The guards aren't going to pull on every play, but the tackles are the ones who have to be agile enough to take on a speed rushing defensive end all the time. There's a reason why offensive tackles are taken in the top 5 in the draft, and guards are rarely taken before the second round.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post

...Tackles are not supposed to be "fat." They're supposed to have quick feet, good agility and be able to have good technique.

I would rather have a "fat" guy as a guard than a "fat" tackle. If you're a fat tackle, spped rushers are going to light you up and blaze by you all day long.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    +

umm...this just in: Greco played tackle in college but he was moved to guard since joining the Rams and, in fact, has played there all thru training camp and the preseason. I agree with you that Barron needs some competition to light a fire under him, but, unfortunately it's just not going to be Mr. Greco. Let's hope that the FO addresses this issue in the offseason.

WHAT SAY YE?