ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Should Bulger Have Tried To Make That Play?

I'm really torn on if I want Bulger trying to make that play. On the one hand if Bulger didnt try he would get roasted by everyone, and rightly so. BUT he is the ONE player we can't lose to injury, and he gets beatin up enough already in the pocket.

I just can't decide. Say Marc doesn't try to make that play and just gives a half assed effort, first he stays in the game, second we light the Colts up and expose there D, third we win and gain some momentum, and we say well Marc should have made a better effort on that play but oh well we can't risk him getting hurt and we win the game.

Now we are saying nice effort by Marc but now we are screwed if he's out for any length of time, we get lit up by the Colts because our D is horrible and we can't keep up on offense with Martin at QB.

So if you had to chose, what would you pick?
    Marcs effort = Injury or
    Less effort = Healthy Bulger

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Should Bulger Have Tried To Make That Play?

Sometimes, instincts take over. You just threw a pick, you don't want the thing taken back for a touchdown.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I respect the heart that says "I screwed up, I'm going fix it." But in this case, I wish he hadn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

The really bizarre part about it is that he led with his right shoulder. i appreciate the instinct to at least want to get in the way, but leading with his right shoulder was not one of the brighter decisions of his life.

Bottom line. No one INT for a TD at this point of the season is going to change anything. Taking the risk of injury on that type of play has a potentially devastating effect on the team. I would much preferred to see him run for the sideline and just completely away from the play. you know guys will take a shot at the qb if they can.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm sure Bulger wasn't running over toward June thinking, "I'm going to get injured on this play." He takes hits standing in the pocket and gets up from them constantly. There's no guarantee he gets injured trying to do that - it just happened. I'd rather my QB give that kind of effort than stand around and watch.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

For one thing , he's not a defensive player. And if you want your QB taken that Gamble,? Well there you go! Look to fall a few more games behind seattle. The nightmare is just starting. Someone wake me up!!!! But it is the whole instinct thing like TX said! The guy is a player and he was doing what he should do. Just not now or anytime... I don't know. What I do know is Fitzpatrick better be put in next week. Martin is the worst! I've never liked him and look at Barron....sink or swim and hell he's doing the back stroke! They babied Bulger into the system, Let's see what the kid can do!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Have Alot Of Respect For Bulger Getting In There And Trying To Stop The Return,its To Bad He Got Hurt,but Thats The Kind Of Toughness He Shows At Qb,and I Think He Has The Respect Of The Team Beacause Of It.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    I Have Alot Of Respect For Bulger Getting In There And Trying To Stop The Return,its To Bad He Got Hurt,but Thats The Kind Of Toughness He Shows At Qb,and I Think He Has The Respect Of The Team Beacause Of It.
    I would have to believe that he had the respect before that play. I understand what you mean though. The way it looks right now it wasn't worth it, but as TX said it is pure instinct. Hopefully next time he won't lead with his throwing shoulder.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

IMO the answer is yes.

However, Bulger made a big mistake. He did not go all out. If he had been aggressive and committed to going after the runner he maybe would of been hit but probably still playing. Instead he was unsure not committed so he got hurt.

When I was learning how to drive my father gave me some valuable advice I still use today. He told me when driving you have to make a decision quick and stick with it. People who change their minds are the ones who usually get hurt....

Also, coaches will tell you the players who let up in a game are the ones who usually get hurt.....

Mark we all know you have alot of hurt next time go all out or get out of the way........

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Of course he shouldn't have. He wasn't throwing into triple coverage. He was throwing into quadruple coverage. Absolutely a bone-headed play.

Oh. You mean the follow-up to the bone-headed pass. If its OK for QBs to slide, WRs to dive, it's not much of a leap to ask your QB to not walk out into oncoming traffic.

Since he did, it is either because someone forget to tell him to look both ways before crossing or he wanted to join M&M on the IR so he could disavow any further responsibility for the impending shipwreck the season is steering towards.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Of course he shouldn't have. He wasn't throwing into triple coverage. He was throwing into quadruple coverage. Absolutely a bone-headed play.

Oh. You mean the follow-up to the bone-headed pass. If its OK for QBs to slide, WRs to dive, it's not much of a leap to ask your QB to not walk out into oncoming traffic.

Since he did, it is either because someone forget to tell him to look both ways before crossing or he wanted to join M&M on the IR so he could disavow any further responsibility for the impending shipwreck the season is steering towards.
    Mr. Nail, meet Mr. Hammer.....
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I got mixed feelings because I saw this happen to Drew Tate.

1. I think he should have because of the heart he has. He like said above has the heard and knows he did something wrong. He was just trying to help out and in my opinion it was kind of a freak accident. Cause it really didn't look like he was hit that hard.

2. I don't think he should have because it was one mistake. All Quarterbacks make that and if he wouldn't have did that he would have thrown 3 TDs (IMO and confident in him) I know he would have bounced back from it and it has something to do with Frustration also.

So I don't know. I'm neutral on this.
    RamsFan16

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Yes he should have! he threw the INT..........but,he should have just dropped at the lb's feet and let his arse fall! He turned his back and left his shoulder vulnerable!

Kane is offline Registered User

The thing is he didn't really try to make a play, he just moved to a position where he would have been in the runner's way, thus making him eligable for blocking. He would have done better to either try to make a tackle or stay out of it - just making himself target served no purpose.