Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Should Bulger Ride The Pine?

Would like to know what the other members think at this point.

I know the offensive line is not the greatest, but come on, today from my seat in the stands, Bulger was downright awful. He made some plays, but he squandered just as many oportunities and he had enough time when those opportunities arose.

The way I figure it, linehan is pretty much a lame duck. Seems to me he should go down fighting and shake things up by sitting Bulger.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Should Bulger Ride The Pine?

I dont see how they could not at least think that it might be time to sit him. I was a Bulger backer but he is missing wide open receivers. He is also eye humping the db's. Maybe he has a concussion we dont know about.

I was not allowing myself to care this year because I expected it. I just wanted to see signs of improvement and a look of future promise. For some reason after today's game I was really pissed. I thought we could beat these guys it just brought everything to a head for me.

Start green what could it hurt at this point?
    LET'S GO DODGERS

moklerman is offline Registered User

Based on today's game I would bench him. But, only to light a fire under his butt. I think late in the game he showed that he could still improvise and make a play but the question then has to be asked where has that ability been all year? Slow starts aren't helping the offense and taking until game 3 to get into the red zone for the first time is pathetic. In one way, it would be a risk because if Green comes in and does well then it would complicate putting Bulger back in but for Linehan and this year's team, the best guy should be playing and no player should get to consistently struggle and not be in fear for his job.

rampower is offline Registered User

I agree molker, Its getting beyond 'backing your man'. The best man has to play. We need a spark.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

There are several problems with benching Bulger.

1. While benching him may be the needed kick in the pants, it may also just break his confidence completely. When one considers his salary, I'd rather not take chances on that front.

2. I doubt Green is better than Bulger at this point. From what I saw of him in the preseason, he overthrew receivers worse than Bulger.

3. I'm surprised Green has enough brain cells left to make a snap count, let alone manage a complex offense whilst being rushed by defenders. And if he does, I can't help but figure that he won't after a single quarter behind this line.

4. Green could die, etc. Oh wait. They might stop the game in that instance and call it a tie. A tie's better than a loss, right?

rammiser is offline Registered User

If it happens it will be disasterous for this team. If Bulger gets benched he is done as a Rams and the team will get worse with Green. The point of no return. Then when Green gets the snot knocked out of him and his 45th concussion they will have to bring in Berlin because of pride. Bulger may not be playing well but the o-line still remains the problem. He doesnt trust them at all, which is why he know has Everettitis. It seems to have worked out well for Warner so I say bench Bulger and let him go succeed somewhere else where he will be wanted and appreciated and not killed.
    Just Fix It

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    There are several problems with benching Bulger.

1. While benching him may be the needed kick in the pants, it may also just break his confidence completely. When one considers his salary, I'd rather not take chances on that front.

2. I doubt Green is better than Bulger at this point. From what I saw of him in the preseason, he overthrew receivers worse than Bulger.
    IMHO it's to early in the season to bench Bulger. He is afterall still learning the Saunders system along with the rest of the offense. The O-line isn't helping Bulgers cause much either.

GO RAMS!!!!

moklerman is offline Registered User

He is afterall still learning the Saunders system along with the rest of the offense.
    If that were really the case, I'd definitely want Green in there for now. He already knows the system.
    If it happens it will be disasterous for this team. If Bulger gets benched he is done as a Rams and the team will get worse with Green.
    As opposed to what they've been the past two years? Personally, I don't think Bulger deserves to be QB if he can't handle getting benched as a message. Everyone knows it would be his job to take back since Green is 38 and the whole purpose in the benching would be motivation. If he quits then he wasn't going to do anything if he wasn't benched. I would do it just to show the rest of the team and fans that he's got a pulse.
    Then when Green gets the snot knocked out of him and his 45th concussion
    Two concussions in a 10+ year career is what we're talking about. He isn't like Chris Miller who was in danger of getting a concussion by buckling his chin strap. Green's concussion came relatively close together but at this point, they could just as easily be coincidence. He was destroyed vs. the Bengals and just about any QB would have been shaken up on that hit. The play against the Titans was far less severe and Green could have played but there was no point since Miami had gone winless in his absence.
    3. I'm surprised Green has enough brain cells left to make a snap count, let alone manage a complex offense whilst being rushed by defenders. And if he does, I can't help but figure that he won't after a single quarter behind this line.
    The line needs work but they only gave up 1 sack to Seattle today. Seattle sacked O'Sullivan 8 times last week. The Rams also only gave up 4 sacks against Philly and Pittsburgh just gave up 8 sacks to Philly on Sunday. I think Bulger's had adequate--not great or good, but enough to complete some passes.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Sacks aren't always the best stat. How many hurries and knockdowns has Bulger taken the last 3 weeks?

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Bulger yesterday had plenty of time he was staring down receivers making the safeties job easy. He is not checking down at all his confidence is gone. He seems like he dont care so make him care! He missed Torry on what appeared to be an out pattern the closest defender was 5 yards away. He has been with Holt his whole career how could he not know where he was gonna be?
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I think there are other players the Rams should bench before bringing Bulger into the office and giving him that message. I just don't think benching him right now, when you're generally not giving him great protection or any semblance of a running game, is going to help the situation at all. I would rather see the Rams shake up the offensive line or break the mold of the gameplan and come up with something that's going to help this offense produce. I don't think simply subbing in Trent Green is going to get that job done.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Once again I am seeing people call for Bulger to be benched, and yet no one responded to my Bulger Challenge. It seems like a lot of people would rather be emotional and find a scape goat who is getting the hell beat out of him by a pathetic O line than do a little work and see that Bulger is not the problem.

And before someone points out that I didn't post stats myself, I am not able to watch the game. I live in Cleveland country and can't afford to pay for the Sunday Ticket. So I do not get to watch Rams ball here. But I followed along on the NFL website. All they give you are the results of a play. Not easy to "see" if a ball hit a receivers hands or not on an incomplete pass. Or if a linesman missed his block.

But what I did notice was a pathetic, pitiful, incompetent defence. At one point when the score was 27 to 13, we had just finally punched in a TD, and we needed the defense to step up and make a stop. They folded up the carpet and went home. How does that feel to the offense? "We did our job and got a score. You just gave up and we got creamed again."

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Trust me when I say this. We will not win ANY games with this offensive line and other blockers.

Kreider was pathetic yesterday. How he allowed the sack for a fumble. That is a kick in the crotch of motivation for Bulger. Who knows, had he not been sacked for a fumble, who knows what his day may have resulted like.

The O-Lines job is to keep the QB's jersey clear of any grass stains.

However, as mentioned, he's been getting less sacks than some other teams have been giving up. Maybe a new QB coach. I don't know. Something needs to be fixed with him. We have him for a few more years.

Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I'm sorry but with the o-line the way it is no one can play qb for this team. I don't think Green can do a better job than Marc. It'll take one shot on Green and he'll be down and then what? This is not the time to bench Marc, what good is it gonna do? It'll do more good than bad for Marc in the long run. Until something is done about this o-line you can forget about anything else getting done right.
    Last edited by Marc Bulger Fan; -09-22-2008 at 05:29 PM.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I'm not a big fan of benching a QB because it causes the dreaded "QB controversy" and the last thing this team needs is another distraction, but if I were to bench Marc, I would do it say in the 3rd quarter of a game and see if the O-line protected Green better than they do Bulger. Remember towards the end of Warners days here with the Rams, the line didn't protect him very well but once Marc was in the game they suddenly became the "Steel Curtain", who knows maybe Bulger has made his mates mad?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast