Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    tanus is offline Registered User

Re: Should Holt have caught the pass against Carolina?

Great receivers make those kind of grabs.
    exactly, marvin harrison would have made that catch. lets just hope torry makes the next big one for us! :ramlogo:

RammieGirl is offline Registered User

What a sad, sad day that Ram/Carolina game was for us Ram fans. I think that I was suspended in mid air as well as that ball thrown to Holt and I just knew he was going to catch it and run it in. GC??? I can totally understand you ripping up that tape. Although I didn’t go to that extreme LOL, but we do have that game tape and I have yet to watch it. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

And Ferter, I want to thank you for educating me this morning because before I looked it up in the dictionary, I had no fricken idea what the heck “trajectory” meant.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

In one sentence, Holt "was wide open." In another, a defender is "barreling down" on him. Which is it?
    Hey Nick, how are you doing dude? To answer your question, it's both. Holt was wide open, and a defender was barreling down on him. I guess "barreling down" is a relative term, not specific to distance, more an approaching threat. Certainly Holt was not sure how close the defender was, but I'm sure it was on his mind. The point of the statement was to put in perspective the mind set of Holt and everything he had to think about, judge and be aware of, all in a split second while trying to make a circus catch.

general counsel Guest

You dont tug on supermans cape, you dont spit in the wind, you dont pull the mask off the old lone ranger, and you dont pay torry holt $12 million up front to not make that catch with the game and the season on the line."

Modified version of quote from jim croce.

Not saying its an easy play at all. Very tough catch. The kind of play that all pros make when it counts.

ramming speed to all.

sign the big man

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It was a very good pass by Bulger. It would have been a very good catch by Holt. But someone who bills himself out as "Big Game" probably should have brought it home.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    I guess "barreling down" is a relative term, not specific to distance, more an approaching threat.
    If that's the explanation, then it makes sense. To me, "barreling down" means that the defender is right on him or at least very close to making a play. If Holt was wide open, he wasn't in any immediate danger from the defender making a play against him.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    It was a very good pass by Bulger. It would have been a very good catch by Holt. But someone who bills himself out as "Big Game" probably should have brought it home.
    Agreed 100%. There isn't a much bigger game than a playoff game.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Detail, details details.

Nick, I tried to explain what I meant by "barreling down". If you have a different interpretation, that's great, but what we're talking about here is MY interpretation. Do you want me to go back and edit the post to say "fast approaching defender" or something like that? Your a buddy, so if you want me to, I will. (Heavy sarcasm, all in good fun. And I really do consider you a buddy. A buddy who likes to ride my ass, but a buddy none the less.)

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Do you want me to go back and edit the post to say "fast approaching defender" or something like that?
    No, where did I say that? What I said was that if what you said was your explanation of barrelling down, then it works. I then explained what it meant to me so you would know why I questioned it in the first place.

All of this is beside the real point, which is how Holt really should have made that catch. :tongue:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Whether Holt should have or shouldn't have caught that pass is an interesting debate. It was close, if he lays out and forgets about the endzone he may have caught the ball.

However, to let Foster run rampant on our defense isn't debateable. It's deplorable.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well, I remember the pass...and after a quick discussion with Tawn (Mama), she said it the best I can agree with:

"It wasn't Marc's fault, Martz's fault, or Torry's fault. Chalk it up to '**** happens'"

No, where did I say that? What I said was that if what you said was your explanation of barrelling down, then it works. I then explained what it meant to me so you would know why I questioned it in the first place.
    Nick, my bad if I misread your intent. As our friend Ferter likes to say, it's all good.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't think its fair to chastise Holt for one play, or even one game.

This is the same guy who had over 100 yards and a TD in his first Super Bowl as a rookie and has lead the league in receiving yards twice.

He's going to have a lot of "big games" in the next few years.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Yes, I too agree and say Torry should have had that pass -- for the reasons posted already.

It does not take anything away from Torry Holt's achievements and Pro Bowl status, but ... that one could have made a definite difference against the Panthers! The playoffs! Aaaargh!

I like No. 81 and hope he has a tremendous season this year (along with Bruuuuce, thank you).

PS: the things of the past that professional athletes must have to get over with, as in "letting it go". NBA stars missing an easy dunk, etc.

Anyone remember Jackie Smith, All Pro, great hands, experience and everything, dropping a sure, easy pass in the chest, standing all by himself in the end zone during a Super Bowl? See last photo at bottom of page in:
    http://www.dallasnews.com/cgi-bin/bi...D=33&photo=709

general counsel Guest

Good point jorge. that was a very very lonely moment for mr. smith. There have been atheletes that couldnt let go and the result hasnt been pretty. Remember donnie moore? He gave up the homerun to dave henderson in the 1986 alcs and committed suicide within a couple of years.

In Rams history, its like tom mack's offside penalty at the goal line in the 1974 nfc championship game. We dont get in after the penalty, get a field goal blocked which gets run back for about a 98 yard td and then lose the game by 4 points!

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you're going to look for a Ram to bash, why pick Torry?

He has been a model player since he was drafted. He works hard, produces, is a positive and upbeat member of the team, and signed a long term deal to stay with the Rams rather than waiting to be a blue-chip UFA.

Surely, there are others who are more deserving of scrutiny.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast