View Poll Results: Should Jason Smith start in Week 1?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. He needs to get game experience, even if he takes his lumps.

53 82.81%
  • No. There's no rush. Wait until he's really ready.

11 17.19%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Should J.Smith be a Week 1 Starter? (Pros and Cons)

We should know in the next day or so whether Jason Smith will start in Week 1 against Seattle.

Here are my pros and cons of putting him in the starting lineup:

Pros: The Future is Now
    To paraphrase Billy Crystal from When Harry Met Sally, when you find the OT you want to start for the next 10 years, you want the next 10 years to begin as quickly as possible. Smith has worked hard and demonstrated a great deal of promise in the preseason. He's still a work in progress, but the only thing that is going to get him up to NFL speed is real game experience. Might as well get the growing pains out of the way now.

Cons: Patience is the Best Long-term Approach
    Whenever Smith starts, all eyes will be on him. If he gives up a sack or two, the grumbling and whispering will begin very quickly. Adam Goldberg is no world-beater, but he's steady and nobody particularly cares if his confidence is shaken. In Smith's case, you want to hold him back so his play does not diminish his swagger.

What would you do?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -09-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Should J.Smith be a Week 1 Starter? (Pros and Cons)

I think he needs to play,use the hands on approach with him, he will learn very little if anything by standing on the sidelines,if he screws up so be it,we have veterans that still mess up,those things happen,I hear alot people talk about the speed of the game and the only way to get used to that is to be in the middle of it,so go get it J. Smith.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -09-08-2009 at 11:05 AM.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I'd say put him in now. He needs the experience, and I don't really see Goldberg as being that much of an upgrade to Smith at this point. The more we put Smith in, the more he will improve, and the more the entire line will begin to jell together.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

As the lone vote for let him wait, I guess I should put my stance out there.

One, I assume that Goldberg is still showing himself to be the better option at the moment. Once Smith starts outplaying Goldberg on anything resembling a regular basis, he should start.

Two, as long as we're in contention for any kind of post season play, we should be playing the best team that we have available. That means not playing any rookies or other backups any more than necessary. The starters should be in the game so long as they are able to be.

Three, for the health of Bulger and Jackson, they deserve to have the best line available to them. If Smith isn't a top five line member, he shouldn't be out there yet.

You might not learn as much in practice and in meetings as you do in the real game experiences, however, this is a team sport and the team deserves to have the best people playing. Before the end of the year, I'm sure that Jason Smith will be starting. However, he should not be starting unless he really is at least the second best tackle on the team.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

TekeRam. I can remember VERY vividly how bad Goldberg was his first season with the Rams. He didn't start to show any real promise until his second year. Now without any intent of being condescending here, Smith has the go the same route becuase he's the one with the upside. He needs to learn now, not later.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

if we were playing the Giants or Ravens D i might suggest he sits this one out..but whilst he will be tested in Qwest field due to the noise that will be generated when the Rams O are on the field, he will be lined up against a pretty average by NFL standards LDE in Cory Redding....so throw him in!

he wont learn much if anything from watching on the sidelines..and it does appear that he has been getting better with every game he`s played during the pre-season,so let the progression continue..

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    TekeRam. I can remember VERY vividly how bad Goldberg was his first season with the Rams. He didn't start to show any real promise until his second year. Now without any intent of being condescending here, Smith has the go the same route becuase he's the one with the upside. He needs to learn now, not later.
    And I understand that Smith is already ahead of Goldberg in terms of how soon he is showing promise, however, I still think that the coaches feel that Goldberg gives them a reliability that is higher than Smith's at the moment. That's why I feel like Goldberg should start until he's getting out played by Smith in practice. Bulger and Jax's health depend on that.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Smith must play. An O-line is not like a QB or RB where you need to protect him against fumbles or other mistakes. An O-line needs to play together so they become an in-synch unit. For this reason and others that have already been stated here I feel Smith MUST play now!

Go Rams!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Throw him out there. The Rams aren't going to contend anyway so what a better way to learn than trial by fire? Send him out there.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Throw him out there. The Rams aren't going to contend anyway so what a better way to learn than trial by fire? Send him out there.
    Why must you always sugarcoat things Tx?

I'm on the fence on this one .. What Teke says makes sense, but the logical thing doesn't always work in these instances .. I guess it boils down to whatever Spag's gut feeling is .. in other words, I have no idea ...

eldfan is offline Registered User

He is not going to learn anything on the sidelines looking. Get him out there he will get better as year goes on.
    :ramlogo:

invisiblehorns314 is offline Registered User

I believe Smith should start, and here's why:
    A. He's the best run blocking OL we got, and our gameplain to to run the ball. We need our best players opening up holes for SJax. Maybe we bring Goldberg in on key passing situations, but smith starts.
    B. The most import reason chemistry. If smith is gonna play at all this year, you want him to bulid chemistry with the other linemen. Chemistry is huge for OL, and we as fans have saw that in the past.
    C. Seattle was dead last in passing defense last year. Allowing 259 yards per game. This will be a good confidence booster, not to mention if he can't make it against them, you know where he is as far as readiness.
    Let me know what you think.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehorns314 View Post
    I believe Smith should start, and here's why:
    A. He's the best run blocking OL we got, and our gameplain to to run the ball. We need our best players opening up holes for SJax. Maybe we bring Goldberg in on key passing situations, but smith starts.
    B. The most import reason chemistry. If smith is gonna play at all this year, you want him to bulid chemistry with the other linemen. Chemistry is huge for OL, and we as fans have saw that in the past.
    C. Seattle was dead last in passing defense last year. Allowing 259 yards per game. This will be a good confidence booster, not to mention if he can't make it against them, you know where he is as far as readiness.
    Let me know what you think.
    Good post!

He's a run blocking OT and we are a running team. This team is already being built from the bottom up. The future is now. We can't leave him hanging around on the sideline. Give him the reps because he needs to learn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You would have said the same about the 99 Rams, and yet somehow, some way, they did fairly well the season, if I remember correctly. That's not to say we'll come anywhere approaching that, but my point is that you never know until the games are played.

That's why I say Smith stays out until he's fully ready. If Goldberg is successful enough, we can get to a good start while Smith continues to train and gets experience by coming in late in the game and in practice. Let the game slow down for him then, as opposed to the first snap of the game in one of the harder places to play?

As for the post about there's nothing to protect him from, mistakes wise, there's actually a lot to protect him from. Protected from getting beat and allowing penetration. Protection from getting injured as he tries to increase his effort level to make up for lack of technique. Protection for Bulger and Jackson who would get blown up when he allows the aforementioned penetration, possibly.

If he's ready, he's ready and I'll back him up from day one, but if he's not ready to compete against starting NFL talent, then he shouldn't be starting yet. No, he's not a QB or a WR or some other player that needs a ton of time to adjust, but he does need the game to slow down for him a bit, and I say we let that happen a little before we throw him in the deep end.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I voted Yes. Solid preseason play for a rookie with signs of growing confidence from player and coaches and the need to develop cohesion/rapport within this beleaguered unit are convincing PROs,imo..

I think the thing that might prevent Smith from starting is the readiness of the guards. Goldberg seems to be the first choice to replace Cogs & last year Goldberg probably did his best work replacing Bell.

If Richie gets a limb ripped off @ Qwest-entirely possible since he's about as popular there as the guy who spills the bong at a Wroten house party-does Goldberg move inside? If so, Smith probably has to come in @RT & that's a lot of shuffling for a unit that has already lacked stability. Ditto if Bell gets his eponymous rung.

Still, mistakes by an OT certainly can be devastating. Much worse than a turnover,imo. However, I don't think there is strong evidence that Goldberg is any less likely to commit them than Smith. Either guy is likely to struggle at times vs good DEs like Redding & Kerney.

I've been wrong every time I've thought DeSpags would take the conservative road in personnel decisions; Holt,Pace,Berlin,etc , so I'm gonna hope the guards are ready & the greenhorn is Sleepless in Seattle thinking about his first start...lol

Hey don't groan, AV started it; isn't there a rule about referencing chick flicks on this board? Except for the faked orgasm scene in the deli,of course.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast