throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Should the Rams go more up-tempo with Bradford?

Haste is offline Registered User

Re: Should the Rams go more up-tempo with Bradford?

I'd love to see the Rams run more hurry up offense. He seems to get that extra-focused mentality and the offense moves along much more quickly, tiring out the defense.

The Bengals were a good example of this with Palmer in 05, and they were constantly making defensive players sprint off the field to get the right personnel on, and many times it leaves the wrong defensive matchups on the field, causing the Bengals to exploit that. I think the Rams can do the same thing efficiently.

I feel that he can play as sharp as the elite QB's like Brady when doing the no-huddle.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

It's not as simple as some would have you believe. If it were as easy as "doing what Tom Brady does" or "doing what Aaron Rodgers does", every team would be successful. The premise of us "scoring two TDs vs. Minnesota in the 4th quarter" as a starting point for your argument to go up-tempo is flawed to begin with. Obviously, it is much easier to look good and rack up points and personal stats in garbage time when a team is in a bend-don't-break defensive scheme.

The hurry-up has its problems, which is why many teams use it very sparingly. It is tiring. Your defense is not given adequate rest because the offense either scores quickly or must punt quickly. The offense is tired because of the pace at which you're running the plays. Your personnel must be able to run it successfully. Maybe it is good for Bradford, but is it ideal for his surrounding cast? I don't have the answer.

Certainly, Jeff Fisher knows the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel. I trust that more offensive talent next season will translate to more points scored- and thus more success for Bradford.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -12-22-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    MauiRam and Haste like this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    It's not as simple as some would have you believe. If it were as easy as "doing what Tom Brady does" or "doing what Aaron Rodgers does", every team would be successful. The premise of us "scoring two TDs vs. Minnesota in the 4th quarter" as a starting point for your argument to go up-tempo is flawed to begin with. Obviously, it is much easier to look good and rack up points and personal stats in garbage time when a team is in a bend-don't-break defensive scheme.

The hurry-up has its problems, which is why many teams use it very sparingly. It is tiring. Your defense is not given adequate rest because the offense either scores quickly or must punt quickly. The offense is tired because of the pace at which you're running the plays. Your personnel must be able to run it successfully. Maybe it is good for Bradford, but is it ideal for his surrounding cast? I don't have the answer.

Certainly, Jeff Fisher knows the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel. I trust that more offensive talent next season will translate to more points scored- and thus more success for Bradford.
    Good points ..

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It's amazing how much more fluid and focused Bradford and the offense get when they're going hurry-up. It's definitely something I'd like to see more in the first half of games when things bog down.
    We sometimes do struggle it seems early in games. The no-huddle or "hurry up" might be a way to get Sam into a good rhythm early on in games, but as NJ states, Fish and Schotty brainstorm this stuff on a weekly basis. No team (that I am aware of) has found a consistent way to circumvent poor execution. Trickery and hurry-up all have their place, but until we can successfully execute the basics on offense, (run or pass), we are going to struggle. The old refrain: "Wait till next year" is certainly familiar to Ram fans, but IMO next year represents real hope as opposed to recent years in which blind hope was required. Why? Stan K., Jeff F. Les S. and Kevin D. They've had a good first year and a good 2012 draft overall. We are all expecting more of the same next year ..

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Good points ..

We sometimes do struggle it seems early in games. The no-huddle or "hurry up" might be a way to get Sam into a good rhythm early on in games, but as NJ states, Fish and Schotty brainstorm this stuff on a weekly basis. No team (that I am aware of) has found a consistent way to circumvent poor execution. Trickery and hurry-up all have their place, but until we can successfully execute the basics on offense, (run or pass), we are going to struggle. The old refrain: "Wait till next year" is certainly familiar to Ram fans, but IMO next year represents real hope as opposed to recent years in which blind hope was required. Why? Stan K., Jeff F. Les S. and Kevin D. They've had a good first year and a good 2012 draft overall. We are all expecting more of the same next year ..
    I find it interesting that guys like Gibson and Pettis seem to flip the switch on execution when the Rams go at a faster, more urgent pace. I'm not advocating using it all the time, but I think it can be a part of the offensive gameplan, especially early.
    MauiRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I find it interesting that guys like Gibson and Pettis seem to flip the switch on execution when the Rams go at a faster, more urgent pace. I'm not advocating using it all the time, but I think it can be a part of the offensive gameplan, especially early.
    I agree with Mike, we need to use it more during the game when the game is not in do or die mode.
    But I'm not sure Fisher agrees through. He wants to grind on the clock every chance he gets. I hope next year when and if we have upgraded our talent on the offense we don't still stay in grind it out mode. I hope as NJ says he's playing to our strength. I just hope he's willing to try and out score teams once we have the talent to do so...

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

I say yes. I am always harping on why they don't go no-huddle more often in the chat room during games

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

yes and it's not even that. Nearly every time the Rams get the lead their play calling becomes very conservative.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12