swatter555 is offline Registered User

Should the Rams stretch the field more?

I will just speak for myself and say that the relatively conservative nature of the Rams offensive gameplans are frustrating at times. While we do seem to have some success in the first half of games, we have little success in the second. I see the Rams offense as a one trick pony at this point. If an opponent can stop Steven Jackson running up the gut and get on top of the screens, the Rams are punting the ball. This has most certainly been the case in the second halves against SD and TB.

So should the Rams throw deep more often despite the depleted WR corps? Or is someone going to make the case that a conservative gameplan is the best option we have right now?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Should the Rams stretch the field more?

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I will just speak for myself and say that the relatively conservative nature of the Rams offensive gameplans are frustrating at times. While we do seem to have some success in the first half of games, we have little success in the second. I see the Rams offense as a one trick pony at this point. If an opponent can stop Steven Jackson running up the gut and get on top of the screens, the Rams are punting the ball. This has most certainly been the case in the second halves against SD and TB.

So should the Rams throw deep more often despite the depleted WR corps? Or is someone going to make the case that a conservative gameplan is the best option we have right now?
    I'm certainly not going to make that case. It's ridiculous to assume that just because our receivers aren't household names, that none of them can run a fly pattern. Hell, I could do that, even at my age. One thing we know for sure is, we'll never know who can do what, if we never try. And that feeds right into any defenses hands. If the defense only has to defend 10 to 15 yards of space, it won't take long for any defense to look like Ray Lewis and company.

And that (to me), appears to be a huge part of our second half failures.

A conservative gameplan was working in the first half versus TB; it was working extremely well. If the run and screen game is clicking, then that is the way to go. At the same time it seems that if that strategy runs into adversity, the Rams can't switch gears very well.

Another minor point to make is that I don't think Shurmur is giving Bradford enough chances to throw deep balls, from a development perspective. I think we would all agree that throwing the ball deep is his strength, but he doesn't get many game situations to learn from.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

If you guys notice that we played poorly in the second halves of only the SD and TB games. Which we had a lead in, the way I see it is that if the score is close going into the second half it seems like we play harder or call more aggressive plays w/e you wanna call it. So I just think that if the score is close going into the half this Sunday we're going to win.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Nice thing about stretching the field is that you don't even have to complete the passes for it to be effective ...

I am EXPECTING Shurmur to try to go deep to Alexander early in this game ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Nice thing about stretching the field is that you don't even have to complete the passes for it to be effective ...

I am EXPECTING Shurmur to try to go deep to Alexander early in this game ...
    The Alexander fantasy was nice while it lasted. He had such potential...

We should still attempt to stretch the field. The next man up has to make a play (right?).

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

stretch the field with what? we have no more receivers alexander is out 2-4 weeks. don't we have an excess of tight ends?

anyways interesting to see how we handle being gunshot at wide receiver
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8