MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Should the Rams wait for Rex Ryan?

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    Email this Share this Print this Digg Yahoo! Del.icio.us Facebook Reddit Drudge Google Fark Stumble It!
    Sometime today, the final ďfinalistĒ interview will be completed with New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo by the Ramsí braintrust in Los Angeles. At that point, owner Chip Rosenbloom will await general manager Billy Devaneyís recommendation, and then act on that recommendation one way or the other. So itís quite possible the next Ramsí head coach could be named by Friday or Saturday. Unless, that is, the team feels like waiting to see what happens with Rex Ryan and the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday in the AFC championship game. If the Ravens lose at Pittsburgh, Ryan is available immediately. If they pull the upset, Ryan canít be hired until after the Super Bowl.
    All reports out of New York lately indicate that Ryan is the frontrunner for the Jetsí job. The Jets arenít known to have interviewed anyone this week, although there has been some speculation that they may bring in Spagnuolo for a second interview. So as each day passes it seems clear that the Jets are waiting on Ryan _ at least until the outcome of the Ravens-Steelers game.

But donít sell St. Louis short on Ryan. Those close to Ryan say heís at least as interested in the Ramsí job as he is in the Jetsí position.

Ryan has a brother who lives in St. Louis, and heíd also be closer to his father Buddy, whoís in Kentucky.

There are plusses and minuses to every job, and with the Jets there are salary cap concerns and the entire Brett Favre issue. Does Favre retire or not? If he does, you need a quarterback. If he doesnít, can he still get it done and does he still have the respect of his teammates in the locker room?

And the mere fact that the NFC West is so weak, Arizonaís postseason resurgence notwithstanding, actually makes the Rams a more attractive job. Itís seen as an easier turnaround, at least in terms of the division competition.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should the Rams wait for Rex Ryan?

To answer that question, I'd have to be able to answer two others:

1) How much will a bidding war with the Jets increase the price tag for Ryan?

and

2) If the Rams wait and are not able to land Ryan, will Frazier and/or Spagnuolo still be available and attainable?

If the answers are (1) not all that much, and (2) yes, then I'd wait.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Why not wait? The Falcons and Ravens waited till February last year to sign their HC and they turned out ok.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    To answer that question, I'd have to be able to answer two others:

1) How much will a bidding war with the Jets increase the price tag for Ryan?

and

2) If the Rams wait and are not able to land Ryan, will Frazier and/or Spagnuolo still be available and attainable?

If the answers are (1) not all that much, and (2) yes, then I'd wait.
    Problem is that the answers are probably just the opposite.

1. Bidding war with a New York team could get real expensive.

2. If these 2 guys are as good as advertised they will be gone.

I say make the move now.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree.

As much as I like Ryan, I think I'd be drafting a contract offer for Spagnuolo or Frazier right now.

HornIt is offline Registered User

I'd only wait if he stood out significantly above the others as the right guy for the job. Then I'd make my best play for him and if I couldn't get him, I know that at least one or two of the other finalists will be there.

I'm cooling on Ryan though after reading that he apparently is willing to have an OC forced on him by the Jets in order to get that job. If that's true, I want somebody with a little more courage of conviction than that.

If Billy D. thinks Rex is the best guy, then we should wait. Cost ?? Who cares how much it costs? It won't affect our cap ceiling - just Chip's wallet. Alot would depend on how strong Ryan's desire to come here is ...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I don't know about you guys but I'm booking myself a hospital bed to recover from a stress-related nervous breakdown if we have to wait until after the SB for a decision. never mind the fact that the asst market will be pretty well picked over by that time.

I think that X factor - that we really don't know who these guys have presented as assistants they would want or, more importantly, could actually count on bringing in is really significant. Players might also be in that package since there are a number of juicy FA prospects on their current teams,esp Ryan.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

One word, no. I like Frazier and Spags better anyways

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I don't know about you guys but I'm booking myself a hospital bed to recover from a stress-related nervous breakdown if we have to wait until after the SB for a decision. never mind the fact that the asst market will be pretty well picked over by that time.

I think that X factor - that we really don't know who these guys have presented as assistants they would want or, more importantly, could actually count on bringing in is really significant. Players might also be in that package since there are a number of juicy FA prospects on their current teams,esp Ryan.

Don't worry Azul.....as in the words of Jimmy Johnson...."Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's anytimg"....until we get more Jimmy's and Joe's Vince Lombardi couldn't coach this team to a winning record.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I totally agree, txramsfan, that talent on the field is the most important thing and that is largely going to be Billy D's responsibility. I am optimistic about him.

But surely The Cowboys are a good example of how a mountain of talent can be reduced to a pile of infighting rubble without a set of good leaders who work in unison. Of course, the assistants don't have to be big names but, if we are going with a D-minded rookie HC -and I am totally sold on Frazier, I could see why he might be edged by Spags , Ryan, or even Haz, if they can bring in someone with more experience as a coordinator, esp on offense.

I find it really interesting that Saunders hasn't been let go officially with that in mind. In whose favor that works, I have no idea, but I hope it bodes well for LF who seems to have the knack of quickly getting on the same page with players and other coaches wherever he goes.

JimmyG37 is offline Registered User

I had been hoping the Rams hired Ryan since the coaching search began. With that said, unless Devaney likes Rex a lot more than Spagnuolo or Frazier, I don't think they should wait. For starters, I never expected Spags to have been a viable candidate for us, so that takes away the urgency for Ryan in my mind. Also, I've read about Frazier and he seems impressive as well. Add in the fact that we might not be able to hire Ryan until early next week at the earliest, plus that we might have to get into a bidding war with the Jets, and Ryan isn't a enticing in my book. He may very well become a good NFL head coach, but Spagnuolo and Frazier are now basically equal in my book.

shower beers is offline Registered User

I am posting in a head coaching thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyG37 View Post
    I had been hoping the Rams hired Ryan since the coaching search began. With that said, unless Devaney likes Rex a lot more than Spagnuolo or Frazier, I don't think they should wait. For starters, I never expected Spags to have been a viable candidate for us, so that takes away the urgency for Ryan in my mind. Also, I've read about Frazier and he seems impressive as well. Add in the fact that we might not be able to hire Ryan until early next week at the earliest, plus that we might have to get into a bidding war with the Jets, and Ryan isn't a enticing in my book. He may very well become a good NFL head coach, but Spagnuolo and Frazier are now basically equal in my book.
    Why are you worried about a bidding war? There are many other factors besides money that will influence Rex's decision if he is offered the Rams coaching job. Chip made it known the head coaching search would not be predicated on who came cheapest. If Rex is the guy Billy really wants, the Rams should go all out for him. I doubt we'll have to outbid anyone as Ryan probably already knows where he would prefer to be ..

JimmyG37 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Why are you worried about a bidding war? There are many other factors besides money that will influence Rex's decision if he is offered the Rams coaching job. Chip made it known the head coaching search would not be predicated on who came cheapest. If Rex is the guy Billy really wants, the Rams should go all out for him. I doubt we'll have to outbid anyone as Ryan probably already knows where he would prefer to be ..
    Not so much a worry about a bidding war, but if I currently view Frazier or Spags as just as good of a hire as Ryan, then why wait until Monday at the earliest for Ryan when it sounds like the Rams could call Frazier right now and get this thing done, then focus on getting the coaching staff together. If the Ravens lose, then the difference between Friday/Saturday and Monday/Tuesday may be negligible, but if they win, then you again have to decide if you want to wait until after the Super Bowl for the chance at Ryan.

You're right, if Ryan is considered by Billy to be the far and away best, then the team should look into waiting for him. If they see Frazier/Ryan/Spagnuolo as a wash, then why wait?

Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter. It's Billy and the owners opinions that matter.