Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Should St.Louis stick with Bradford.... or go with RGIII?

thermobee is offline Registered User

Should St.Louis stick with Bradford.... or go with RGIII?

By Charley Casserly, NFL.com

With the second overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, the St. Louis Rams are in a great trading position. They could keep Sam Bradford and trade the pick to a team that wants Robert Griffin III for multiple draft picks; or they could take Griffin and trade Bradford for draft choices. One way or another, the Rams have the potential to greatly improve their football team.

In thinking through this hypothetical choice, one area that has to be considered is the cost difference. Bradford has four years left on his contact which will total $48 million. Griffin will sign a four-year contract for approximately $22 million. By taking Griffin and trading Bradford, the Rams would save almost $26 million. This money could be used to bolster other areas of the team.

Then there's the most important question: Who is the better player? I liked both of these quarterbacks in college, even though they had different styles. I believe both can be very successful in the NFL, but I would rate Bradford the better QB off his college tape. He displayed superior accuracy than Griffin does at this stage, and he threw to more options in the passing game. In fact, in the previous 10 years before Bradford was drafted, the only two college quarterbacks I had rated higher were Eli Manning and Carson Palmer. Bradford, who struggled this past season, had a very good rookie year in 2010. I believe this year's drop off was caused by his injuries and surroundings factors that buried the Rams. I still would rate him ahead of Griffin.

But who would bring the most in a trade? I believe it would be Bradford, even with his higher salary. He already has two seasons in a pro-style offense in the NFL and would be ready to start and win right now. Also, some people will look at it the way I did, going back to their college evaluations and seeing Bradford rated higher.

If you believe in Griffin's ability to become at least as good a QB as Bradford, you trade Bradford. However, if I was making the decision, I'd stick with Bradford. I would go with the more known quantity, who already has two years experience and Pro Bowl potential.If the Rams choose to draft Griffin and trade Bradford, they might receive two first-round draft choices plus another pick or player -- and save $26 million in the process. If they keep Bradford and trade the second pick, it is possible they could still get the same draft deal. There is also the possibility that the market could disappear if Matt Flynn and Peyton Manningsign with teams in the top 10.

If you believe in Griffin's ability to become at least as good a QB as Bradford, you trade Bradford. However, if I was making the decision, I'd stick with Bradford. I would go with the more known quantity, who already has two years experience and Pro Bowl potential.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: Should St.Louis stick with Bradford.... or go with RGIII?

Such a stupid discussion. Demoff, Snead, Fisher, and Schottenheimer have all expressed their support of Bradford. Dammit, Fisher even said Bradford was the one the factors in him choosing to coach the Rams. There's absolutely no chance that that this will happen, nor should there be.

We don't have outside linebackers. Most of our receivers can't catch or find separation, nor do our tight ends contribute. Our running back is getting old. Our defensive tackles are already ancient. Some of our lineman are softer than a Rams' wool. Our cornerbacks struggle to stay healthy. But we're supposed to have the luxury of drafting a second quarterback in the top two in three years?

Why? Because RG3 won the Heisman? Because Bradford struggled in a season where he was the NFL's most sacked quarterback? '

I'm not saying RG3 sucks, but I haven't seen him do a damn thing that makes me think he will be a better quarterback than Bradford. I can't wait until this stupid, asinine, and pointless "debate" dies.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

R.I.P. Journalism
    1456-2012
    Goldenfleece and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Hey give the guy a break he had a deadline and had to write about something...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

If you recall, back in early January, Casserly said this...

"They're going to stick with Sam Bradford," Casserly told James Brown Sunday. "If Griffin comes out that second pick has value. If he doesn't come out, it doesn't. I would ask for two No. 1 picks and another pick depending on where that team is [sitting]. Unless I can get a second No. 1 I'm taking [Justin] Blackmon and now I've got a target for Bradford."
    So in January, he says the Rams are going to stick with Bradford. Then in February, he writes an article posing the question, "Should the Rams stick with Bradford?" and, shockingly, his answer is yes.

Maybe in March, he'll do a TV interview where he'll talk about whether the Rams are going to stick with Bradford or not. I wonder what his answer will be!

Let's get some fresh article ideas, Chuck.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Even if we were to trade Bradford, why would there be anyone willing to pay that redonkulous contract of is? I can understand if we restructure it but what's the point of getting rid of QB who showed a lot of promise his rookie season for a guy who hasn't even took a single snap in the NFL.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    I'm not saying RG3 sucks, but I haven't seen him do a damn thing that makes me think he will be a better quarterback than Bradford. I can't wait until this stupid, asinine, and pointless "debate" dies.
    This debate has another 67 days, 22 hours, and 41 minutes as of the time of this post. Going to be a looooong wait for this draft.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

I think RG3 will excel in the NFL.

With that said, trade the pick and keep Bradford. Then, put him in a position to be successful.

He already proved his FIRST year in the league that he can contribute with even mediocre talent around him. When the mediocre talent went down early last season due to injury, we were all screwed. Especially Bradford.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

We will rally around Sam Bradford and we will play good football!

Bradford will win before rg3. Going on his 3rd year with some weapons I swear when you recall this article you'd wish they'd horse whip Charley.
    Last edited by LA Rammer; -02-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
    lordwhttgr likes this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

And that's why Casserly is no longer a GM.....

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If you recall, back in early January, Casserly said this...

So in January, he says the Rams are going to stick with Bradford. Then in February, he writes an article posing the question, "Should the Rams stick with Bradford?" and, shockingly, his answer is yes.

Maybe in March, he'll do a TV interview where he'll talk about whether the Rams are going to stick with Bradford or not. I wonder what his answer will be!

Let's get some fresh article ideas, Chuck.
    Well, if RG3 rips the combine to shreds, you can best believe this question will arise again. Not that anything changes as far as his opinion is concerned, but he and others will certainly pose the question again, and for good reason.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Well, if RG3 rips the combine to shreds, you can best believe this question will arise again. Not that anything changes as far as his opinion is concerned, but he and others will certainly pose the question again, and for good reason.
    No. There's not a "good reason." Just another opportunity for the media to make a story where there isn't one.

The Rams are not taking RGIII. They're not trading Bradford. End of story. Thanks for playing. Buh-bye.

shower beers is offline Registered User

What do you think of this story, sad Steven Jackson?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 1.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	19.5 KB 
ID:	2793

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No. There's not a "good reason." Just another opportunity for the media to make a story where there isn't one.

The Rams are not taking RGIII. They're not trading Bradford. End of story. Thanks for playing. Buh-bye.
    And if you're a member of the media, I suspect you'd think it's for good reason too. It's how they make their living. Seems like a good reason to me. The fact that the Rams may or may not entertain the thought, is neither here, nor there.

I, for the record am patiently awaiting the king's ransom we should get for the second pick.

And we're far from the end of the story, like it or not.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -02-20-2012 at 12:30 AM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Braford is our boy. 2012 is the year to prove his worth. P U N T O ... i.e., period!

And we're far from the end of the story, like it or not. -- Fortuninerhater
    I'm afraid you're right on that.
    Last edited by RealRam; -02-20-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Quote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast