ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Should we have won that Super Bowl?

I lifted this (borrowed?, stole?) this from another, of course lesser, Rams message board and thought some here might want to dwell on and possibly respond to it....

was going through my notes and came across that old article which surfaced during the "throat slashing" bs - sorry, link is long gone....

"So tense is the atmosphere at team headquarters that Shaw, Zygmunt, Armey and Martz all declined to be interviewed for this story. Likewise, almost all current and former players and staffers contacted spoke only on the condition of anonymity. Earlier this month a team insider familiar with the infighting said, "What goes on [here] is a joke -- there's absolutely no leadership at the top -- and you're starting to see the consequences on the field. We never should've won that Super Bowl because we didn't deserve it. We got lucky in '99 -- we traded for Marshall Faulk, and Kurt Warner fell out of the sky. The bottom line was, and is, that we're a dysfunctional franchise."

fwiw from 1972-1979 rosenbloom's rams posted 7 winning seasons in 8 years including 7 post season appearances, 7 nfc west first place finishes, 5 conference championship game appearances and a super bowl appearance. from 1980-1998 georgia's rams posted only 7 winning seasons in 19 years, only 1 nfc west first place finish and just 6 post season appearances. from 1972-1979 rosenbloom's rams posted a 81-33-2 (.707) record. from 1980-1998 georgia's rams posted a 131-165-0 (.443) record.

it appears that the "insider" quoted in the article knew exactly what he was talking about - that faulk, warner, martz & company fell from the sky to create the perfect, short-lived storm. that the gsot team was nothing more than a freak aberration, much like holt's td today, and the rams have done nothing more than return to what they really are - a losing, dysfunctional franchise saddled with incompetent leadership at the top.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: Should we have won that Super Bowl?

Interesting thought.

However, I don't buy it . Sure Warner was an unexpected blessing, but we traded for Faulk. It's not like we didn't know what we were going to get. Martz was hired as an OC and that was a great move. Making him the HC wasn't, but it certainly seemed like the right thing to do at the time. We deserved to win that year.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Perfect storm is absolutely correct. When they squeezed Warner out the wheels started to come off the machine. When Faulk faded...it was totally over. Those 2 were the heart and soul of the beast.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    the gsot team was nothing more than a freak aberration, much like holt's td today.
    That was a TD I don't care what anyone says!!! If not, we wouldn't legitimately had scored a TD until week 3 vs. Hawks, yet to happen!

LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's fair to say in the NFL, there is NO super bowl winner that "deserved" it; and EVERY super bowl winner "deserved" it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sig51 is offline Registered User

I can't argue with the stats, but Georgia didn't want the team, it fell into her lap. That's what happens, I hope her children want it more. But I don't think the '99 season was a fluke, we hired dick vermil, a great coach. Also things were headed in the right direction in in '03 when lovie smith was running our defense and we went 12-4. Then Martz hired larie marmie from the cardinals who then sucked worse than ever.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Of course we earned that Superbowl win. This story is just confusing. Did the Pat's deserve theirs 2 years ago? That one is a big NO!

What did the Rams do to not deserve that Ring?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think the simple point is that this "insider" is illustrating the dysfunctional nature of the front office- which in my view is 100% accurate. However,the Rams absolutely deserved the Super Bowl and should have won a 2nd one. I think things started to unravel when Vermeil retired. He did so too soon, and Martz came in. While his career won loss record might indicate otherwise, he had serious flaws as a head coach. We still had superior talent, but got outclassed and outcoached in the Super Bowl vs. New England and in the Divisional playoff game at home vs. Carolina- two disappointments I will take with me to my grave.

If you look at history, most of your championship winners in all sports have owners who have a single minded commitment to winning. Steinbrenner, Jerry Jones, Art Rooney, Bob Kraft, John Henry, the Niners ownership of the 80's, etc. Now, you might hate these guys, but they want to win badly. The Rams of 1999-2000 were an exception. I don't wish to be disrespectful, but the Rams won in spite of Georgia, not because of her. Her late husband Carroll Rosenbloom, who ironically never won a Super Bowl, was an outstanding owner who was committed to winning.

Hopefully, Chip Rosenbloom will demonstrate the same resolve and leadership his late father did. Time will tell.

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sig51 View Post
    I can't argue with the stats, but Georgia didn't want the team, it fell into her lap. That's what happens, I hope her children want it more. But I don't think the '99 season was a fluke, we hired dick vermil, a great coach. Also things were headed in the right direction in in '03 when lovie smith was running our defense and we went 12-4. Then Martz hired larie marmie from the cardinals who then sucked worse than ever.
    This to me is the key and I have always said this.Dick Vermeil was the coach this organization needed.he turned this woeful franchise around with Charley Armey.
    Those 2 together knew how to spot talent and in 3 years had it in a position to have Faulk and Warner make a difference.
    In retrospect look at our drafts since both these guys are gone and it's bust after bust.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

As is the case with alot of champions no matter what the sport is you have to stay healthy and capitalize on oportunities when they present themselves. The Rams did that in 99, they made things happen when they needed to. I've always wondered would they have won if Trent Green didn't get hurt. He was good but Kurt was off the charts that year, which brings me to the real reason I think they won it all, heart, when Trent got hurt Vermeil rallied the troops and this team came together to play as a team. Something we haven't seen in along time.

p.s. Who cares if they deserved to win, they did win and that's all that matters.

curleyski is offline Registered User

during the super bowl years we had everything fall into place like many other teams have had happen to them. the right players, coaches, chemistry, you name it. even penalties called in our favor, fumbles reversed, all that stuff. i believe we had the makings of a dynasty but bad personell decisions cost us. dick vermiel always was a great coach and having mike martz as OC was even better, this guy drew up plays that NOBODY could stop(500 points 3 years in a row, a record). they were simply unreal but when dick retired and mad mike took over things just didn't seem right. heck there were even death threats (kyle turley on martz) that helped us revert back to our old tired non winning ways. even the drafts have not turned out for us but let these guys go somewhere else and they are PRO BOWLERS their first frickin year! this is a problem that goes deep into this organization along with too many losing seasons both past and present. i do remember all the nfc west titles, great years when other teams FEARED playing the rams but one thing sticks out in my mind way back in the day was that the rams would never ever pay anybody the high money other teams would and it always showed. now we overpay for the wrong players. it used to be great team for a decade, bad for a decade, now it's good for half and really bad for a half and getting worse. if we start making these changes as chip rosenbloom says then we will be horrible for a few more years to say the least. can we turn this year around, the way the players are reacting i wouldn't bet on it. forever a rams fan.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sig51 View Post
    Georgia didn't want the team, it fell into her lap.
    Some older fans who remember how Carroll Rosenblum died might disagree with you on that one.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Dick Vermeil was the coach this organization needed.he turned this woeful franchise around with Charley Armey.
    You know it's funny how this world works. Take Kurt Warner, for example. Kurt Warner was a Ram because his coach at Northern Iowa (Mike Kolling) was the starting QB at the high school in Graceville, Minnesota. The head coach for that Graceville High team?

Charley Armey.

Kolling calls Armey telling him about Warner. Armey convinces Vermeil and the brass to send Warner to Europe. The rest is history.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod