Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    shower beers is offline Registered User

Shurmur to interview w/ Browns on Thurs

via Adam Schefter via twitter:

RT @MaryKayCabot: Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur to interview with Browns on Thursday. ... He might be The Favorite.

Take it as it is - a tweet. But nonetheless, some of you might get your wish.

update from rotoworld:

The Browns will reportedly interview Rams OC Pat Shurmur for their head coaching job on Thursday.
    For those keeping score, the Browns' list includes Shurmur, Falcons OC Mike Mularkey, Giants DC Perry Fewell, and Eagles OC Marty Morhinweg. Shurmur has spent two seasons running the Rams offense after working with Browns GM Tom Heckert in Philadelphia from 1999-2008. He brings a West Coast offensive scheme that team president Mike Holmgren favors. ESPN's Adam Schefter suggests Shurmur "might be the favorite" among the known candidates.
    Source: Greg Bedard on Twitter
    Last edited by shower beers; -01-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Re: Shurmur to interview w/ Browns on Thurs

Losing a coordinator early in a QB's career could be bad. If Shurmur goes, the Rams need to hire current QB coach Dick Curl. He has good chemistry with Bradford, and he won't change the system. We'll keep with the West Coast, and he already does a lot with offensive gameplanning.

berg8309 is online now Registered User

To me Shurmur has too little experience to make a good head coach. Even if his playcalling was truncated by lack of quality receivers and Spags wanting to keep it conservative, he still struggled to make coherent game plans and follow them.

I do think part of our horrible play calling was Shurmur not being allowed to open up the downfield portion of his playbook, my understanding is he is a guy who likes to pass downfield. Even so, I cannot imagine he has the experience necessary to take on a head coaching position and be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    Losing a coordinator early in a QB's career could be bad. If Shurmur goes, the Rams need to hire current QB coach Dick Curl. He has good chemistry with Bradford, and he won't change the system. We'll keep with the West Coast, and he already does a lot with offensive gameplanning.
    Spags likes the West Coast, he would probably bring in another West Coast guy.

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    To me Shurmur has too little experience to make a good head coach. Even if his playcalling was truncated by lack of quality receivers and Spags wanting to keep it conservative, he still struggled to make coherent game plans and follow them.

I do think part of our horrible play calling was Shurmur not being allowed to open up the downfield portion of his playbook, my understanding is he is a guy who likes to pass downfield. Even so, I cannot imagine he has the experience necessary to take on a head coaching position and be successful.
    My main issue with Shurmur isn't being overly conservative (it's mainly Spags that doesn't allow him to open up), it's that he does what the other team is expecting. Take the ***** game as an example. WR end-arounds worked well in that game. He comes out against Seattle and tries them there, but they watched tape and saw it coming.

Also, he goes away from the run too easily (such as against the Saints, Falcons, and Seahawks). He doesn't utilize Big Steven enough. I want another west coast guy who isn't afraid to be creative (and by creative, I don't mean doing a bunch of trick plays) with his playcalls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    My main issue with Shurmur isn't being overly conservative (it's mainly Spags that doesn't allow him to open up), it's that he does what the other team is expecting. Take the ***** game as an example. WR end-arounds worked well in that game. He comes out against Seattle and tries them there, but they watched tape and saw it coming.

Also, he goes away from the run too easily (such as against the Saints, Falcons, and Seahawks). He doesn't utilize Big Steven enough. I want another west coast guy who isn't afraid to be creative (and by creative, I don't mean doing a bunch of trick plays) with his playcalls.
    Could still be on Spags with that sort of stuff, but it proves my point of not experienced enough to be a head coach.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I don't get it, I thought Shurmur sux and was the worst offensive coordinator ever!!!11!!1

Gasp, so you're telling me Mike Holmgren and Billy Devaney know more abut their profession than knee jerk fans?

If we do lose Shurmur, keep Curl at QB coach, not sure if he has play calling experience - I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if EIU alum and former Philadelphia OC and Minnesota head coach Brad Childress was the next STL OC.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Where are Shurmur haters? Shurmur offense would be perfect for Colt McCoy

With thast said I hope he doesn't get the Job and stays with the Rams. Spags let Shurmur loose the last 2 games when we were in playoff mode. I expect spags to shut up and let Shurmur do his thing on the offensive end when he has better weapons next year. Bradford and his weapons will have more experience also. Spags need to allow the offense to play with the same agression his defense plays with.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if EIU alum and former Philadelphia OC and Minnesota head coach Brad Childress was the next STL OC.
    I actually wouldn't mind that either, the knock on Childress was his personel decisions which he wouldn't make here. Plus he has experience running a successful offense although I'd prefer it if Shurmur stayed.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised nor disappointed if EIU alum and former Philadelphia OC and Minnesota head coach Brad Childress was the next STL OC.
    And so the plot thickens!

This is a really interesting development. Quick, can anyone name me another co-ordinator whom, following a season in which he was widely criticised by fans, went on to be the frontrunner for a Head Coaching position in the subsequent year?

If Shurmur were to leave, I would love to be a fly on the wall in Spagnuolo's office. Could it be that Pat Shurmur feels constricted in St. Louis? Alternatively, he could just be making a career move. This sort of opportunity might not present itself again, and if he feels that way, then he'd be foolish not to take the job if it's offered.

I think it's integral to the progress of Sam Bradford that Shurmur stays for another season, maybe more. As a point of reference, Tom Moore was the OC in Indianapolis for eleven seasons. That kind of continuity has done wonders for Peyton Manning. We can't be changing systems every season, and, with that in mind, if Shurmur were to leave, I would hope that we would replace him with somebody who runs a similar system. Brad Childress, as C-Mob so dutifully noted, would be an ideal fit.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Shurmur Haters (Monday): "Fire the bum!"

Shurmur Haters (Tuesday): "I don't know what it is, but suddenly Shurmur is looking pretty good."

rammiser is offline Registered User

I don't care much for Shurmur but chemistry with Bradford means a lot. The thing that scares me is what if we change offensive co-ordinators and then have an off season next year and go say 7-9 again. Then spags gets fired and now Bradford is getting a new system in his 3rd year and has to learn an entirely new offense. This scenario cannot be good. Who ever comes in to replace Shurmur if he leaves should be able to run this offense the same way it is now, but with more talent hopefully.
    Just Fix It

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

So Shurmur's the favorite huh? Wonder how Adam Schefter knows that? Does anyone remember if Fritz Shurmur was the DC in Green Bay when Holmgren was there?

codeman123 is offline Registered User

I don't think Shurmur has been that bad this year. The offense has a basically two rookie tackles, a rookie qb, and 5 practice squad receivers (the highest draft pick of active receivers is Gilyard at round 4), and has improved greatly from the past couple of years. His play calling was much different in the games with Alexander, even if Alexander failed to catch a pass. This shows that its more utilizing what you have instead of awful playcalling. He has shown to call bad plays at times, but I like his playbook and think with more experience and better personnel he should fine.

I hope he doesn't go to the Browns because changing coordinators for such a young team isn't a good thing. The fact that he's looked on highly from his peers kind of shows he has a lot of football intelligence. That's a pretty good list of coordinators.
    Last edited by codeman123; -01-04-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    I hope he doesn't go to the Browns because changing coordinators for such a young team isn't a good thing. The fact that he's looked on highly from his peers kind of shows he has a lot of football intelligence. That's a pretty good list of coordinators on that list.
    Exactly, it just goes to show that what the fans observe on television is only a small fraction of the story. Unless of course we somehow know more than Devaney, Spags, and Holmgren about football, and call me pessimistic on that front.

I'm not a Shurmur hater, but not a huge fan either. I would like to see him calling plays with Bradford in year 2 and better receivers (Maybe blocking too if Saffold and Smith both progress well).

Shurmur certainly opened up the playbook a few times. It was kept conservative most of the season, as analysts point out, most likely because they wanted to make sure Bradford was in a position to succeed. That said, there were a few times where Shurmur's playcalling was pretty bad as a general rule, no matter how you slice it. I think Shurmur can improve with more weapons, but I don't think he's ready for the big job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast