Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Shurmur tried his best at losing this game too.

Yeah, I know, it isn't just Shurmur. But man, that second half and especially 4th quarter offensive playcalling sux. When something isn't working, let's keep trying it over and over again. </sarcasm> I can understand trying to waste clock time, but you've got to get first downs too.

Shurmur seems to be opening it up in the first halves. But he has to step it up in the second. We almost lost this one like we did the others. And I really believe it was the bad playcalling. Although I think it is improving. At least Bradford was allowed to make a few throws this time.

Let Bradford do what he does best. Jackson was shut down thanks to what seems terrible run blocking. Rookie or not, Bradford, imo, is now our best player and we need to be unafraid to let the game ride on his shoulders. Especially when Jackson isn't going anywhere.
    Last edited by supachump; -11-28-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

Re: Shurmur tried his best at losing this game too.

yea this movie is getting old, really fast. you can't sit on your hands and wait for the game to end week after week as if coaches don't prepare their players for 4 quarters. there's been so many games we've let slip away just because we've gone conservative, and it's just become cliche. doing the team a disservice, as well as himself.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

They won. It was a little too close for my liking but the clock was run out a little. Let's give him some credit though. Bradford threw for over 300 yards with his gameplan and they put up 36 points. All of this with really young late draft picks at receiver and tight end.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Shurmur certainly need to improve on late-game offense, but when he puts together a gameplan that gets 36 points, he isn't the one to focus on when we almost blow it.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

It's not play calling it's the lack of a consistent running game to finish games. The Rams can not run the ball when protecting a lead and if you want to win in this league you have to have a ground game even when the other team knows you will run the ball.

Go Rams

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

How do you argue that play calling doesn't factor into it when on our last possession everyone in my house knew what the next three plays were...including the person that doesn't really understand football very well?

I agree with running it, but the only good run all game was off the edge and all three runs were right up the middle. Should have done run, run, and maybe play-action if they didn't run off the edge and actually get somewhere. Trust me, everyone would bite on the Rams running it on third down late in the game, right up the middle..

supachump is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Shurmur certainly need to improve on late-game offense, but when he puts together a gameplan that gets 36 points, he isn't the one to focus on when we almost blow it.
    He definitely shouldn't get all the blame. But when the opposition moves within a score and we need a first down. Calling run after run when it hardly has been working all day, something is wrong. Especially when they've been giving us open receivers.

Play calling has improved. Let's hope it continues to get better. Sitting on a lead may of barely worked this time, but it hasn't been and probably won't in the future either..

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Great Win Rams!!!

Oh, how I despise kickers!!!

and

Josh Brown is no exception.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

As I said in a previous thread I am through letting Shurmur off the hook anymore. Great we put up 36 points, but he still went conservative in the second half again and once again it nearly lost us a game. You can not consistently win games in this league if you get a lead and then try to sit on it. Once you figure out how to put up points against a team, keep putting those points up until the game is over.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Nah, not buying the Shurmur thing...

I know I'll get blasted for this, but it's time to start playing Darby more and less Jackson. He's not getting it done. He goes down way too easy, his first "step" when getting the ball is always a sidestep, or skip. Enough already. He's a big dude. I mean, a BIG dude, and he goes down with the slightest touch at the legs. Watch him run. It's small steps, shuffling every step of the way. His strength is his size and he's not using it. Once he gets stopped and starts "the dance", he's done. And when he starts the dance in the backfield, well, he's going nowhere.

Did you see how quickly Darby hit the hole on that TD? He popped it in there quickly. Jackson probably would have sidestepped his way to a no-gain.

Sorry, I don't care if he's the number one rusher of all-time with the Rams, he's not getting it done. Time for Jackson to get less carries. Not more.

...and don't get me started on our DB's and safeties. Ugh. This game should have been a blowout. Hell, it WAS a blowout.

...Until they started throwing it downfield. My God, our DB's are bad. EVEN BARTELL. Murphy? OMG.

I know they won the game, but my God, it shouldn't have been close.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    it's time to start playing Darby more and less Jackson. He's not getting it done. He goes down way too easy, his first "step" when getting the ball is always a sidestep, or skip. Enough already. He's a big dude. I mean, a BIG dude, and he goes down with the slightest touch at the legs. Watch him run. It's small steps, shuffling every step of the way. His strength is his size and he's not using it. Once he gets stopped and starts "the dance", he's done. And when he starts the dance in the backfield, well, he's going nowhere.

Did you see how quickly Darby hit the hole on that TD? He popped it in there quickly. Jackson probably would have sidestepped his way to a no-gain.

My God, our DB's are bad. EVEN BARTELL. Murphy? OMG.

I know they won the game, but my God, it shouldn't have been close.
    agreed Darby needs to get more carries. I was yelling that out as I got frustrated at SJax not icing this game! DB's oh well did we really think we have probowlers?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

To me it is not about conservative vs aggressive or run vs pass it's just about getting enough 1st downs to burn the clock.

You do this, in my opinion, on sticking with what has worked well for you in the game. Sometimes that may be Jackson but today it was obviously Bradford.

Maybe Shurmur is afraid to put that responsibility on Bradford but if that is the case it is a shame. Bradford has earned it. Trust in him.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I know I'll get blasted for this, but it's time to start playing Darby more and less Jackson. He's not getting it done. He goes down way too easy, his first "step" when getting the ball is always a sidestep, or skip. Enough already. He's a big dude. I mean, a BIG dude, and he goes down with the slightest touch at the legs. Watch him run. It's small steps, shuffling every step of the way. His strength is his size and he's not using it. Once he gets stopped and starts "the dance", he's done. And when he starts the dance in the backfield, well, he's going nowhere.
    Hmmm.....I know I mentioned this sometime within the first three weeks of the season. Good that you're catching on, so, I won't blast you today.

Great win Rams!!!

Josh Brown, did you try your best at losing this game?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post

Play calling has improved. Let's hope it continues to get better. Sitting on a lead may of barely worked this time, but it hasn't been and probably won't in the future either..
    It works better when your defense doesn't do things like allow a 3rd and 17 to be converted, then a TD two plays later. The Broncos absolutely had their way with every single CB and safety at the end of the game. It seemed like they were content with watching and hoping the offense came up big.

You shouldn't score 36 point and win by only 3, that's bad D. Yes, the D came up on the last drive. Before that they were horrendous in the 4th quarter. It seemed like the Broncos could have crawled and they would have scored. The game should have been a blowout, Shurmur shouldn't have had to keep being aggressive. In case you didn't notice, it was 33-13 when we entered the 4th quarter. That should have been game over. The defense tried their best to lose this game. Three TDs, one quarter. Bad D.

Yes, the first touch down was scored on the first play of the 4th quarter, which just so happened to come 2 plays after it was 3rd and 17 from the Bronco's own 40. Yikes. I don't care how good the Bronco's air attack is, when teams score 3 TDs on our D in one quarter, we shouldn't turn around and yell at Shurmur.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Do you guys have NO clue how a football team is run?

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast