Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: SI Roundtable: Was Tavon Austin's Performance A Fluke?

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: SI Roundtable: Was Tavon Austin's Performance A Fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    "Opinions" being the key word, making "100 percent accurate" a misnomer. Maybe they're right, maybe they're wrong. I think Austin will surprise a lot of people in the fantasy world, and the real world as well.
    You're right, I should not have used the word opinions...I will edit it out.

What I should have said was that based on the Rams' utilization of Austin most of this season, to call last weeks performance a fluke was 100 percent accurate, and I repeat, that's from a fantasy perspective.

For the record, I agree with you that Austin will have success in fantasy as well as the real world, but NOT of the Rams target him twice a game.

Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Sorry... I should have said that fantasy analysts are worthless to those who care about the actual game.
    Wrong again....there are millions of fans that care about the actual game and yet still enjoy fantasy football.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.
    Torry Holt likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post

Wrong again....there are millions of fans that care about the actual game and yet still enjoy fantasy football.

Back to the drawing board, I guess.
    Nope. I stand by my statement.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I can't help thinking that these fantasy analysts need to designate this as a fluke performance because it preserves their credibility. Remember, if you didn't predict this performance was coming, you aren't thought of as smart in the word of fantasy football. There are carefully worded phrases that say this has be to be done on a regular basis, well duh. I think all of your posts are spot on these guys are no smarter than regular fans and its a shame SI puts its name on this.

Go Tavon and Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Nope. I stand by my statement.
    Gotta admire a man with conviction....even if it's misplaced...well done.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I can't help thinking that these fantasy analysts need to designate this as a fluke performance because it preserves their credibility. Remember, if you didn't predict this performance was coming, you aren't thought of as smart in the word of fantasy football. There are carefully worded phrases that say this has be to be done on a regular basis, well duh. I think all of your posts are spot on these guys are no smarter than regular fans and its a shame SI puts its name on this.

Go Tavon and Go Rams!
    At what point did anyone actually imply that these guys are smarter than a regular fan?

Gotta admire a man with conviction....even if it's misplaced...well done.
    Not misplaced at all. There's nothing wrong with fans who enjoy fantasy leagues. Writing "serious" articles about fantasy games, on the other hand, is pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Not misplaced at all. There's nothing wrong with fans who enjoy fantasy leagues. Writing "serious" articles about fantasy games, on the other hand, is pretty ridiculous.
    I won't debate the merits of what kind of writing constitutes the "ridiculous", as there are hundreds of writers in the news industry that flat out suck...and I'm not sure what you mean by "serious"...do you mean not humorous?

Regardless, the fact remains that fantasy sports have become a multi-billion dollar industry and if someone can earn a living doing something they love in a field they enjoy working in, kudos to them...it's a lot more than the average American can claim. That's all I'm saying...and to classify that person as worthless, just cause i may disagree with their opinion, is kind of arrogant at best. At worst, I won't say what I think it is, and that will be by last comment on the topic.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    No, we certainly don't expect to see Tavon Austin come up with 3 huge plays every week, but it certainly is reasonable to think Austin will continue to be more productive and bust an occasional big play in the future.
    Would love to see this. Disappearing for many games in a row and then finally having a big game is not what the Rams had envisioned after giving up so much to get him. I still want to wait and see more before he is labeled a one game wonder. We will know by the end of next year. Stay tuned.
    RAM29JACKSON likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Uh not trying to be a downer here folks, but this article was asking if it's reasonable to think that from a fantasy perspective, Austin will make this a regular performance. Does anyone REALLY think that numbers like that will be a regular achievement this year?

I'm all in on the Tavon Austin bandwagon, but I think we're making a little too much out of a silly article.
    RAM29JACKSON likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Yes, we certainly will see. I'm hopeful Tavon showed a small sample of things to come.

I am not a fan of fantasy sports. The fact that it's a multi-million dollar industry is irrelevant to me. My life and my interests aren't governed by money. Above all else, I WANT TO WIN- and it's completely assinine to be put in a position to conceivably have to root for individual players to do well against your team. RIDICULOUS!! It goes against every competitive instinct you have. And people who prefer watching the games just to see if so and so "gets them fantasy points" don't truly appreciate the game itself, in my opinion.
    Rambos and mde8352gorams like this.

The fact that it's a multi-million dollar industry is irrelevant to me. My life and my interests aren't governed by money.
    Let me try to explain what I said more clearly for those that are having trouble following along. The comment that fantasy sports have become a multi-billion dollar business was was not made to imply that my, or anyone else's lives or interests are governed by money.

The point was that it's pretty cool that fantasy sports have become such a big business that they give people that really enjoy them the opportunity to make a living doing something they really like. I don't think the concept was particularly hard to follow.

I wonder how some people ever graduated high school with these reading comprehension skills.

The point was that it's pretty cool that fantasy sports have become such a big business that they give people that really enjoy them the opportunity to make a living doing something they really like.
    That may be your point, but its not mine.

My point is that fantasy analysts, who are concerned with the probability that a player will produce points in a game played by fans, have no value to someone like me, who does not care about fantasy football but, rather, is concered with the actual game.

For example, if Austin were to have 4 receptions for 79 yards and 0 TDs in next weeks' game, a fantasy analyst might say that his production was minimal. However, if 3 of his receptions produced key first downs on 3rd and long in drives that resulted in TDs, most would say that his actual production was essential.

Again, I have no problem with those who play fantasy football. I've dabbled myself in fantasy leagues. But someone who spends his time analyzing and writing about fantasy simulations of a game we played as kids TO ME is engaged in a worthless endeavor.

I'd probably say the same about those who write books about video game cheats, Pokemon cards, and the reproduction efforts of celebrities... and those are multi-million dollar industries too.
    HUbison likes this.

For example, if Austin were to have 4 receptions for 79 yards and 0 TDs in next weeks' game, a fantasy analyst might say that his production was minimal. However, if 3 of his receptions produced key first downs on 3rd and long in drives that resulted in TDs, most would say that his actual production was essential.
    I'll agree with that 100%. I actually agree with most of your other points as well.

The problem I had was with you calling people worthless. There are millions of people stuck in dead end jobs that they hate to go to every day. Anyone that can get paid doing something they enjoy, regardless of whether or not I would choose that as a career for myself, I'll tip my hat to, NOT call them worthless.

I'll agree with that 100%. I actually agree with most of your other points as well.

The problem I had was with you calling people worthless. There are millions of people stuck in dead end jobs that they hate to go to every day. Anyone that can get paid doing something they enjoy, regardless of whether or not I would choose that as a career for myself, I'll tip my hat to, NOT call them worthless.
    Fair enough. Let's just say that I find their analyses to be worthless to me, and leave it at that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast