Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: SI Roundtable: Was Tavon Austin's Performance A Fluke?

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: SI Roundtable: Was Tavon Austin's Performance A Fluke?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Fair enough. Let's just say that I find their analyses to be worthless to me, and leave it at that.
    I can live with that...peace.

Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Let me try to explain what I said more clearly for those that are having trouble following along. The comment that fantasy sports have become a multi-billion dollar business was was not made to imply that my, or anyone else's lives or interests are governed by money.

The point was that it's pretty cool that fantasy sports have become such a big business that they give people that really enjoy them the opportunity to make a living doing something they really like. I don't think the concept was particularly hard to follow.

I wonder how some people ever graduated high school with these reading comprehension skills.

My reading comprehension skills are just fine. And if you feel fantasy sports are enjoyable, great. I get the whole concept of having a reason to watch a game in which you otherwise may have no interest. But I happen to think they're a colossal waste of time and effort becuase as a purist, they de-value the game itself. A well played game and the nuances of each contest are lost in one worrying about player "A" or player "B" getting them fantasy points. Kids grow up having no clue about the game- judging guys only on numbers.

These guys have a right to their opinion on Austin like anyone else, But their perpective is skewed because they basically consider the guy no good since he didn't break off enough big plays the 1st half of the season- thus no fantasy points. Such opinions provide nothing objective on which to fairly judge a guy.

These

punahou is offline Registered User

consistancy is the key to not be a Man without a Hat and do a Safety Dance.

Both sides of the Austin is or isnt a hit or miss need to be reserved atm until the season is over.

We can re-address this situation in December =)

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    Uh not trying to be a downer here folks, but this article was asking if it's reasonable to think that from a fantasy perspective, Austin will make this a regular performance. Does anyone REALLY think that numbers like that will be a regular achievement this year?
    Do you see anyone saying Austin will score 3 TD's on a regular basis? I don't.

If the article was making the case that Austin isn't going to have multiple TD games every week, I would agree, but the way I read it, they're saying his ability to put up TD's is a fluke, and that his performance was a one and done.

If you happened to own Austin in redraft leagues, try to cash in on his breakout. Otherwise you might be in for some heartbreak chasing points with him in your lineup next week.
    To me, that notion is hyperbole. Didn't he have a 2 TD performance in week two against Atlanta? Didn't he have a 63 yard TD catch called back against Carolina? Didn't he have an 84 yard punt return for a TD called back against Dallas? If you add those TD's to his total of 5, he's got 7, which would put him in a tie for 12th most in the NFL. IMO, that's production, and no fluke. You could argue the 2 TD's nullified by penalties don't count, but the point is that he has proven he can make big plays on a regular basis, despite limited targets. And going forward, I'd be surprised if his targets don't increase.

IMO, to suggest that Austin won't be a threat to score the rest of the season on any consistent basis, is, well......baseless. And speaking of baseless, I find it hilarious that the fantasy "expert" I quoted, who supposedly does his homework and deep analysis, doesn't even realize that Austin won't be playing next week.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

One thing is sure, and that is the likelihood Austin will be getting a lot more attention from opposing defenses the rest of the season. Somehow, I find it impossible to believe that opposing DCs will agree with the "fluke" epithet. Last Sunday was a graphic example of what happens when Tavon is allowed to get out in open space.

Even without touching the ball, Tavon can draw more holding/interference penalties beyond the 5 yards dbs are allowed to jam. If Schotty is doing his homework, he can design schemes where Austin can draw off coverage, or even better clear the top off.

If anything, last Sunday, T.A. erased IMO any doubts about his skill set not translating from college to the NFL. Bailey will be next ..
    Randart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    My reading comprehension skills are just fine. And if you feel fantasy sports are enjoyable, great. I get the whole concept of having a reason to watch a game in which you otherwise may have no interest. But I happen to think they're a colossal waste of time and effort becuase as a purist, they de-value the game itself. A well played game and the nuances of each contest are lost in one worrying about player "A" or player "B" getting them fantasy points. Kids grow up having no clue about the game- judging guys only on numbers.

These guys have a right to their opinion on Austin like anyone else, But their perspective is skewed because they basically consider the guy no good since he didn't break off enough big plays the 1st half of the season- thus no fantasy points. Such opinions provide nothing objective on which to fairly judge a guy.

These
    Once again, it's painfully obvious you have no idea what I was talking about. Nowhere in any of my posts did I argue for or against the merits of fantasy football, nor did I imply that I am involved in fantasy sports in any way. My point was about the perspective of the original article and the worthiness of fantasy football journalism as a career and that I found it wrong to label these people as worthless. No where did I argue that fantasy football does not de-value the game for the purists.

I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing against as I did not present any opinions that contradict anything you are saying, nor did I express any opinions along the lines that are counter to what you are saying.

I'm not sure why you are quoting my post, as you are saying nothing that addresses anything that I wrote. Almost seems like your having a conversation with yourself.

Have fun with that.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Do you see anyone saying Austin will score 3 TD's on a regular basis? I don't.

If the article was making the case that Austin isn't going to have multiple TD games every week, I would agree, but the way I read it, they're saying his ability to put up TD's is a fluke, and that his performance was a one and done.

I can see how my comment could be misinterpreted. Of course I didn't imply Austin would literally score or not score three touchdowns each week. I mean that this particular performance was a huge, near record-breaking performance that we shouldn't count on seeing on a regular basis. That's the nature of records after all. The original question seems to ask if Austin will now produce a much higher (than currently) stat line each week.

Right now I don't think Austin has the snap count and production to hit that regularly. That is not to dismiss his performance to date or that he is somehow incapable of it (I personally think he's capable), but that he needs to see the field more to hit those numbers with any sort of consistency. Catching the ball better wouldn't hurt either.

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    I can see how my comment could be misinterpreted. Of course I didn't imply Austin would literally score or not score three touchdowns each week. I mean that this particular performance was a huge, near record-breaking performance that we shouldn't count on seeing on a regular basis. That's the nature of records after all. The original question seems to ask if Austin will now produce a much higher (than currently) stat line each week.

Right now I don't think Austin has the snap count and production to hit that regularly. That is not to dismiss his performance to date or that he is somehow incapable of it (I personally think he's capable), but that he needs to see the field more to hit those numbers with any sort of consistency. Catching the ball better wouldn't hurt either.
    Fair enough.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Roundtable.....I am hungry for a pizza.
    how do they compare to Caesar's or Pizza Hut or Papa Johns or what ever else ?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Sorry... I should have said that fantasy analysts are worthless to those who care about the actual game.
    Exactly. They're coming at this from a very narrow, short-term, stats-only perspective because that's what fantasy owners want to know. Is he going to suddenly start putting up this kind of stat line every week? Okay, probably not. Teams might start shifting coverage his way if he continues to make big plays, which could still benefit our team by opening the field up elsewhere but wouldn't be good for his fantasy owners. He might have a few more days like this but vary greatly from week to week. Fantasy is just a whole other world in terms of player value.

So I wouldn't read too much into it.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I find this whole thread somewhat amusing. This is a prime example of an apples and oranges comparison and some people don't seem capable of distinguishing the two. This was a fantasy article which made its way into a fan site which is primarily dedicated to the true game of football. While a "purist" may find the op article worthless, a fantasy player who wants to be well informed may very well find value in it. To try and read the article as fan may be painful, it most likely has merit in the fantasy football world. I won't go any deeper than that in trying to analyze the article because I'm just not that interested in fantasy football and that is what the article is about.
    ramsbruce likes this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolRamFan View Post
    I find this whole thread somewhat amusing. This is a prime example of an apples and oranges comparison and some people don't seem capable of distinguishing the two. This was a fantasy article which made its way into a fan site which is primarily dedicated to the true game of football. While a "purist" may find the op article worthless, a fantasy player who wants to be well informed may very well find value in it. To try and read the article as fan may be painful, it most likely has merit in the fantasy football world. I won't go any deeper than that in trying to analyze the article because I'm just not that interested in fantasy football and that is what the article is about.
    Exactly. Anyone reading the article and taking offense in some way that this is a slight on or criticism of Austin is totally missing the point. It is a fantasy football article, nothing more.

So I wouldn't read too much into it.
    I wouldn't read ANYTHING into it. Unless you own Austin in a fantasy league, in which case you might find it useful.
    ramsbruce likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yes, we certainly will see. I'm hopeful Tavon showed a small sample of things to come.

I am not a fan of fantasy sports. The fact that it's a multi-million dollar industry is irrelevant to me. My life and my interests aren't governed by money. Above all else, I WANT TO WIN- and it's completely assinine to be put in a position to conceivably have to root for individual players to do well against your team. RIDICULOUS!! It goes against every competitive instinct you have. And people who prefer watching the games just to see if so and so "gets them fantasy points" don't truly appreciate the game itself, in my opinion.
    Sounds like a lot of nonsense from fantasy idiots who don't know much.
    I used to be one of those "fantasy idiots" back in 1984. A recently hired guy where I worked at the time, brought it to Maui from Vegas. At the time, it seemed like a great idea. No one had NFL Ticket back then or DVRs and such – even personal computers were rare. No Thursday night or Sunday night games either, there just wasn't enough football to satisfy us. Only one “owner” had a computer back then (there were ten “owners” in our league), and since the rest of us relied on tv, radio, and newspapers, we regarded his use of a computer as cheating kinda sorta. In hindsight, the only real advantage having a computer gave him back then was access to each team’s inactive list hours ahead of the rest of us – thereby avoiding starting a player who was a last minute scratch.

Playing way back then was really a lot of fun, however, it did require a great deal of time poring over stats, watching as many games as possible, and keeping up with injuries around the league. In my own case, I soon realized the importance of watching for unknown rookie running backs that made the final cut down each year. I watched every preseason game intently; compiling lists of guys I might want to draft or pick up during the season to replace injured guys. There wasn’t any “fantasy software” available back then, so playing was very time consuming if you wanted to win.

Surprisingly I am still pursued by guys in the old league I used to participate in, to join up and play again. Today, I no longer have the time or the inclination. As others have pointed out in this thread, it is difficult if not impossible (for me anyway) to watch a game one really cares about intently, while simultaneously trying to maintain a (WINNING!) fantasy team. Back when I did play, I finished in the money (1st 2nd or 3rd) every year during the 5 years I played. Now days, there is plenty of football to watch with NFL Ticket/Thursday & Sunday nights, so much that the thought of playing FF again makes me tired just to think about it. FF had its place for me back when I was lucky to see the Rams play once or twice a year. Now – forget about it. I can watch every Rams game, and I do!

So yes NJR, I see FF from your side of the fence now. For those who do have the time and inclination to play FF, go for it. I sure had fun playing for a few years.

When I did still play FF, I never rooted for players to do well against the Rams - EVER! That would be akin to rooting for the Rams to lose so they might obtain a higher draft pick. For me, this is not a cerebral issue, it’s simply a matter of heart. I just can’t do it period.

Tavon got a big taste of success against a very good football team last Sunday. I was concerned about his confidence given the adversity he’s experienced with callbacks, penalties, and drops etc. Last Sunday was exactly what Tavon needed. Now it’s time to sit back and enjoy the ride, Austin may not score 3 tds every game, but he is going to provide a boost to our team, and highlights galore. I can’t wait till we play again!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Tavon Austin has played in 10 NFL games.

He has scored 2 or more touchdowns in 2 of those games.

That means that he scores 2 or more TDs in 20% of his games.

The Rams have 6 games to go.

That means, he will score 2 or more TDs in one game, and has a 1 in 5 chance of scoring 2 or more TDs in the 6th game.

Put another way, he is expected to score a minimum of 2.4 TDs in the remaining 6 games.

Two things you should recognize regarding the preceding analysis:

1. From a mathematical standpoint, everything posted above is correct.
    2. From a reality standpoint, everything posted above is worthless.
    RealRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Exactly. Anyone reading the article and taking offense in some way that this is a slight on or criticism of Austin is totally missing the point. It is a fantasy football article, nothing more.
    I don't take offense to anything in the article, I just disagree with the "analysis". As far a getting the point, it seems pretty obvious that production translates to fantasy points, and I see Austin continuing his production, the "experts" don't. We'll see what happens.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast