Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sick And Tired

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sick And Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Firstly- to Linehan's playcalling. I would like to go right ahead and challenge anyone--anyone at all-- to call plays and be effective in doing so with this offensive line and with the unbelievable amount of injuries we have to our franchise Quarterback, our 2006 All-Purpose yardage leader and a recieving core that has been shell shocked.

Linehan's playcalling has hence had to compensate for these injuries. You have a rookie Runningback starting, an injured QB, and this OL-- Just how complex can these plays afford to be? You can't expect Bulger to have all day to throw. In some circumstances he hasn't even had three seconds. He has to get the ball out of his hands-fast. This is due to two reasons a) To stop him doing more damge to his ribs--and b) to prevent him from getting mauled. The result? Hitch plays- plays designed to get the ball out of the passer's hands, and alloow the reciever to make the play.

Let's not forget, our reciveing core has been beat up, too. Bruce isn't healthy, Bennett and Holt haven't been running on 100% all year. Hall is out. They, too are beat up, which must be a mitigating circumstance in their inability to make plays. That, or blanket coverage, which has been made possible becuase our OL hasn't been able to stop the pass rush-- are they too banged up? 4/5 starters can't be wrong. As a consequence, we made Darryl Tapp look like Julius Peppers. Four of his 5.5 sacks were against the Rams.

Then, this makes it necessary to run the ball on first and second down, even if it is for small gain. A small gain is much better than taking the sack or getting Bulger crushed.

I can't defend the boneheaded calls, but I empathise with Linehan because he is copping it from all sides. He is making adjustments to cater for a Banged up Offense, and even the adjustments don't work, because the players are unable to make the plays, either throough injury (Offense) or mediocrity (Claude Terrell et. al.)
    First of all, great post Bar-bq. This is certainly the way I see it. Things have been so screwed up with absolutely zero personnel continuity and dwindling talent levels, there is virtually no way for Linehan to keep up with it. Forget about week to week, when players shuffle in and out of games quarter to quarter and possession to possession, you can throw the adjustment argument out the window. What Linehan is dealing with is almost insurmountable IMO.

Ram on nos is offline Registered User

I agree that he shoudnt be to blame for our record but you've got to admit he doesnt make it easy for himself. He should get another year to prove himself but if he is replaced I wont be conplaining.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ram on nos View Post
    I agree that he shoudnt be to blame for our record but you've got to admit he doesnt make it easy for himself. He should get another year to prove himself but if he is replaced I wont be conplaining.
    Right, and that's where I'm standing.

Mark my words. Linehan will be made an unfair scapegoat to solve a problem that was beyond him. Hell, no coach in the NFL can be expected to succeed in these circumstances.

But can you imagine the reaction if he came back? THAT I can do without. A new coach brings a new cause for optimism to a talented football team, though the old one was crippled by circumstances that, let's be honest, weren't in his control.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Mark my words. Linehan will be made an unfair scapegoat to solve a problem that was beyond him.
    He already has been. With that said I doubt he is back next season.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Yeah, good point...

Something about a Scott Linehan Opposition Party rings a bell...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12