Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Sig bet

RolandDeschain98034 is offline Registered User

Sig bet

Ok, before AvengerRam bans me and deletes this thread because it's not flattering to him despite being fine by the forum rules, I have a question I want to pose to the other Rams fans here.

AvengerRam and I made a sig bet over on Seahawks.net before the season started. The bet was if Bradford finished the year with a 90.0 passer rating or higher, I would have to put something positive about Bradford in my sig over there, and if he lost, Avenger would have to put something negative about Bradford in his sig. (It'd have to stay there until the draft.)

So, a few minutes ago, I get this private message from AvengerRam here on your forum:

Yeah...In what world is playing less than seven full games in a season then going out for the rest of the year due to injury valid for a bet based on a year's worth of games? The bet is null and void by any objective measure for a sig bet that I've ever seen, even if it wasn't specifically stated ahead of time. It's just...Common sense, no?

What do the other Rams fans around here think? Bradford had a 90.9 rating when he was injured, but let's be realistic, here. He played Barely more than a 3rd of the season.

Seahawks fan in Seattle. Not here to troll. Go Hawks!

Don't make bets with me, though. I'm a notorious welcher and should not be trusted on my honor.

I'm REALLY just jealous of Sam.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sig bet

Well, I suppose you could wait to see what his Rating is after Week 17. Then go from there.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing it will be 90.9 (which is to say "90 or above") at the end of the season.
    RamDez, live4ramin, viper and 2 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Normally I'd say that due to circumstances beyond anyone's control that weren't taken into account during the placement of said bet that said bet is dissolved. However, you're a Seahawks fan and I'm biased so I guess you lose.
    RamDez, SWFCRAM and lostsoul like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I was just yanking your chain, Ro.

I don't care if you put up the sig or not.

I leave it to your sense of honor and fair play.

Or, if you'd like, you could make the sig: "Man am I lucky that Sam Bradford was injured as I was losing my bet to AvengerRam."

Of course, as a lawyer, I'd say you should read the fine print next time.

Tell you what...

I'll let you off the hook if you change your Seahawks.net sig to "I love crepes" for one week.

I'm contemplating putting something up, but also including something about the "potential illegitimacy" of it.

I make literally dozens of NFL-related bets with various friends every year, and we all have an understanding about not hiding behind BS technicalities, haha; perhaps I assumed too much when it came to online bets with people I don't know in real life.

When I heard that Bradford tore his ACL, it never even occurred to me to look up his passer rating, because I assumed the bet was null and void since he didn't even play half the season.

I mean, if we had a bet on Chris Johnson averaging more than 5 YPC, and he ripped off a 90-yard TD run in the first game of the year before going out due to injury and he had a 9 YPC average "for the year", that's legitimate? Seriously? Wow.

I'm waiting to see more responses before I decide for certain, but geez.

Also, Avenger, our bet also included that the loser had to have the sig up by the start of the playoffs, so regardless, don't expect to see anything on my sig anytime soon.

Don't make bets with me, though. I'm a notorious welcher and should not be trusted on my honor.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course, as a lawyer, I'd say you should read the fine print next time.
    Fine print is a two-way street, no? You didn't include any fine print when we made the bet. Absence of something isn't proof of its absence.

clive is offline Registered User

What would your response have been if his passer rating was under 90 when he ended his season early?
    Last edited by clive; -10-22-2013 at 06:02 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Considering how few QBs play an entire 17 game schedule, why would you think a bet is voided by injury?

If Bradford came back for the last 2 games, would that mean the bet is still valid?
    If he only missed 6 games is it valid?

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain98034 View Post
    Fine print is a two-way street, no? You didn't include any fine print when we made the bet. Absence of something isn't proof of its absence.
    Not to "lawyer" you to death or anything, but absence of something can actually be proof of its absence in the manner you are speaking of. The "four corners" so to speak of your document (the bet) as I understand it is "if Bradford's QB rating at the end of the year is 90.0 then X, if not then Y." So, by a technical reading of it then yes, the rating will still be 90.9 at the end of the year and by all strict reading AvengerRam wins the bet. Fine print to be included could have been a requirement that Bradford must play in/start X games in order to be validated. If he, after the 7 games he did start, had a passer rating of 89.9, you would have technically won the bet.

All that being said, if it were me personally, I would call the bet null and void. But not knowing you personally "in real life" I can't be sure one way or another that you would have done the same were the passer rating down 1 point.
    Last edited by OldSchoolRamFan; -10-22-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    RamDez and laram0 like this.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

"I love crepes."

That's a fair compromise.
    RamDez and live4ramin like this.

OldSchool; it can go the other way too, though; right?

In any case, I've made my decision. After week 17 is over, I will be posting my "pro-Bradford" (vomit) sig on my Seahawks.net profile. There will definitely be an asterisk on it, but I'll do it.

Let it never be said that I am not honorable, even though I am an argumentative @ss both online and off.
    RamDez, live4ramin, laram0 and 2 others like this.

BigGameTH likes this.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

this is a bunch of childish who-ha over something that isn't even losing money. You guys are adults trying to over intellectualize a stupid playful bet. Look, you didn't think of any stipulations and so the fact is AvengeRam loses. Its that plain and simple. Just have a laugh and change your sig- and stop being babies LOL

the boy Is injured and cant play a full season = you lose

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain98034 View Post
    OldSchool; it can go the other way too, though; right?
    Actually, it can't. No caveats were added therefore you happen to fall on the wrong end of them not being included and AvengerRam was on the plus side of that. I know that it happens alot, but it's a lot harder to argue something that isn't there than it is to put it there in the first place.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast