Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Sig bet

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sig bet

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain98034 View Post
    I flat-out told you, on page one, approximately what to expect.
    Um... yeah... that's not how a bet works.

When you lose a bet, you don't get to change the terms by telling the other person "what to expect."

Again, in what world does playing barely more than a 3rd of the season even count for a season-long bet, anyways?
    What's funny is that two of your Seahawks buddies came here and told you that you lost. You know it too, you just won't admit it.

This is not a court of law. Lack of prior specificity about how long he had to play doesn't automatically mean "anything goes".
    Its that type of comment that earned you your new avatar.

The bet was not clear, which is the whole problem in the first place, because if it had been there would be no winner since anybody with a triple-digit IQ understands a bet's null and void if the subject of it is unable to even get halfway through the season. You are hiding behind the lack of clarity. Have fun planning your draft.
    You are a welcher and you have no honor.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm confused....is it "welsh" or "welch"?

As in, Roland welshed on the bet? Or Roland welched on the bet?
    So which did he do? Did Roland welsh? Or did Roland welch?

And can the verb become a noun? As in...
    Roland is a welsher? Or is Roland a welcher?

Or is it both? As in....Roland both welched and welshed. And Roland is both a welsher and a welcher.
    Last edited by HUbison; -01-08-2014 at 04:13 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm confused....if is "welsh" or "welch"?

As in, Roland welshed on the bet? Or Roland welched on the bet?
    So which did he do? Did Roland welsh? Or did Roland welch?

And can the verb become a noun? As in...
    Roland is a welsher? Or is Roland a welcher?
    That's a good question.

A quick Google search revealed that both spellings are used.

I chose the version with a "c" because I am quite fond of the Welsh band, The Alarm, and I find corgis to be adorable.

That said, I mean no disrespect to the fine people at the Welch's corporation, or to their fine juices and jams.

Whatever the most appropriate spelling might be, though, it is clear that Roland is "a person who fails to follow through on a bet or promise."

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's a good question.

A quick Google search revealed that both spellings are used.

I chose the version with a "c" because I am quite fond of the Welsh band, The Alarm, and I find corgis to be adorable.

That said, I mean no disrespect to the fine people at the Welch's corporation, or to their fine juices and jams.

Whatever the most appropriate spelling might be, though, it is clear that Roland is "a person who fails to follow through on a bet or promise."
    Okay then, to be clear, it's technically correct to say that Roland is either a welcher or a welsher who welched or welshed on the bet?

Correct, yes?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Okay then, to be clear, it's technically correct to say that Roland is either a welcher or a welsher who welched or welshed on the bet?

Correct, yes?

RolandDeschain98034 is offline Registered User

This is honestly pretty funny. Keep trying to justify whatever you want, Avenger. Also, YOU changed the terms of the bet. You typed pages trying to justify that less than seven games was a legitimate sample size for a season-long bet, and I let you get away with it. You also changed the bet by saying I could just put "I love crepes". That's not changing the bet? Ha.

Maybe these other people just let you BS your way around everything because you're a mod here, but I don't roll that way. Sorry.

Also, it's "welsh". Google the actual etymology of the word as it relates to reneging.
    ManofGod likes this.
    Seahawks fan in Seattle. Not here to troll. Go Hawks!

Don't make bets with me, though. I'm a notorious welcher and should not be trusted on my honor.

I'm REALLY just jealous of Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandDeschain98034 View Post
    This is honestly pretty funny. Keep trying to justify whatever you want, Avenger. Also, YOU changed the terms of the bet. You typed pages trying to justify that less than seven games was a legitimate sample size for a season-long bet, and I let you get away with it. You also changed the bet by saying I could just put "I love crepes". That's not changing the bet? Ha.
    You can't be serious.

You are?

Okay...

First, there is no "legitimate sample size" to be determined. The bet was expressly based upon Sam's passer rating at the end of the season, which was 90.7. You lose.

Second, when I offered the "I love crepes" compromise, it was just that, an offer. Stated another way, you had a choice (1) live by the original terms of the bet, or (2) expressly accept my proposed modification. As you did not accept the modification, the original bet stands. You lose.

Maybe these other people just let you BS your way around everything because you're a mod here, but I don't roll that way. Sorry.
    No, clearly the way you roll is to make bets, cry "foul" when you lose, fail to pay up, and then spend your time arguing about it (oddly... only a few days before your beloved Seahawks are playing a playoff game!)

Also, it's "welsh". Google the actual etymology of the word as it relates to reneging.
    However you spell it, its you.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I am definitely not going to let this wels(c)her impact my thoughts on Seahawk fans (my best friend happens to be one), but an insult to Sam Bradford on the sig line is in fact not following through on the terms of the bet. Regardless of whether this individual is a Seahawk fan or not....he truly has no honor.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Well...

As amusing as this has been, I think its time to end the thread.

Roland knows he is wrong, but can't overcome his foolish pride.

The moral of the story is: don't write checks that your butt can't (or won't) cash.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456