throwback week

general counsel is offline Registered User

a sign of faith in alex barron

I just bought a game used alex barron jersey (blue) from the 2006 season. This is a sign of faith as i believe that this is the year that baby alyx steps to the forefront and starts to reach his potential.

Barron has some mental areas in his game to clean up for sure. We all know about the false starts, especially in the red zone. HOwever, i think he has done a fine job overall in his first two seasons and i see continued improvement. I dont think that he gets beat very often and when he cuts down on the penalties, i think he can come very close to a pro bowl level. He may play in Pace's shadow, but i really think very very highly of the kid and i think that his upside is basically unlimited.

The fact that i got a great deal on the jersey from jim yackel helped me the pull the trigger of course, but i really am a big fan of barron as i remember full well the years of frustration at the right tackle position. jimyackel.com has some very reasonable prices on rams game worn uniforms, they arent cheap, but they are the real thing and in most cases, they are the same price or less than what the nfl will charge you for an authentic jersey.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: a sign of faith in alex barron

GC,

I've always been high on Barron also. Of course the false starts are killers. He needs to c-o-n-c-e-n-t-r-a-t-e!

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Nice plug there GC.

I am staying clear of buying game shirts ........... after I buy them they tend to leave LOL

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

According to Stats Inc, in sixteen starts, Alex Barron was flagged for 13 false starts, one holding penalty, and allowed 8.75 sacks during the 2006 season.

To put those numbers in perspective, when John St. Clair filled the void at right tackle in 2002, he was called for 4 false starts and allowed 8.5 sacks. During Grant Williams' time as our starting right tackle in 2004, he was flagged for two holding penalties, no false starts, and allowed 12.5 sacks.

Generally, I think Barron is a bit overrated in terms of his actual blocking. The numbers suggest he's not been as efficient as one might think. However, watching him week in and week out, he just seems inconsistent. He'll lock someone down one week and then get toasted another by lesser competition. Consistency is going to be the biggest hump for him, but not just in terms of keeping his head in the game regarding pre-snap penalties.

The ultimate question is whether or not he really wants to improve and has the work ethic to do so. Bulger's comments last season certainly put those things in doubt. Hopefully Alex takes that challenge and greets it with some hard work and determination toward improvement.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

those numbers are interesting nick, i would love more detailed analysis on how they are calculated. I think barron is a lot better player than st clair and i agree 100% that consistency is the key issue for him.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

marccat Guest

Good take on the stats that is very correctable ,and by god should be! Where was Orlando on that scale? This Barron thing,and the like, is excactly why we got Linnehan ,and I feel we will see huge effort and a ton heart this year, and no matter what, that IS FOOTBALL ...IMO!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

i think he has the potential to step up this year and play great

bruce4life is offline Registered User

barron is still learning, he is still a young player so i believe this is his break out season.... barron had what 7 false start penalties in 2 games.... i just remember the very first game he came in played against the titans and totally pancaked kyle vandenbosch.... can anyone say PRO BOWL???

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: A sign of faith in Alex Barron

THIS is the year of the Barron as far as our OL is concerned.

I appreciate GC's faith in No. 70 and out of optimism, I join in the belief that, now in his 3rd year, AB will show definite signs of improvement and, yes ... consistency. He is well aware of his weaknesses. The offensive coaches will be working with him at times like military drill instructors and at times like compassionate mentors. Whatever it takes.

His numbers, I expect, will change for the better and that could translate into BIG rewards for the Rams offense. A good sign indeed.
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-09-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Typo

BigDaddyPace Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    According to Stats Inc, in sixteen starts, Alex Barron was flagged for 13 false starts, one holding penalty, and allowed 8.75 sacks during the 2006 season.
    I honestly don't beleave those numbers to tell you the truth simply because I cant remember him letting up 1 sack this season. I could be wrong. I think Barron is a damn good RT despite the false starts.

The Shredder Guest

Barron's gonna be a stud someday if he can get the mental aspect of the game down.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    I honestly don't beleave those numbers to tell you the truth simply because I cant remember him letting up 1 sack this season.
    You need look no further than the first game of the year to see Barron's first sack allowed. Third quarter, I believe.

As for the source, it's been my experience that Stats Inc is one of the more reliable and thorough stat services out there. They're the official stat provide for the Associated Press and ESPN, to give examples.

As I said earlier, I think Barron is generally overrated as a blocker. That doesn't mean he's not good, but I think fans perceive him to be much better than he actually is. And not to single you out or anything, but suggesting he may not have allowed one sack all year is an example of just that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!