Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Silver: Rams get their man Michael Brockers (FANTASTIC read)

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Silver: Rams get their man Michael Brockers (FANTASTIC read)

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Given the Rams history of horrible draft picks culminating in an NFL worst 5 year won loss record, one can understand sceptism on this pick but patience is required.
    One can understand skepticism only so far in that previous failures can wear fans down to the point of reserving confidence or optimism until it is more warranted. However, there's no sense in projecting failure onto a regime that had nothing to do with the mistakes of the past. As you said, patience is required.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Wow, whaddya' Know?

"When Justin Blackmon was selected by the Jaguars, Jeff Fisher couldn't help but let his frustration show. He slammed his eyeglasses on the table in front of him and said the first one syllable expletive that came to mind"

-Gregg Rosenthal, NFL.com, Friday, 4/27/12

Any doubt now as to whom the Rams wanted at 6? They moved down, gambled Blackmon would still be there and lost. Put aside the thoughts about "Maybe the Rams weren't as high on Blackmon as others", "Fisher is a defensive guy first", etc. and so forth. Forget trying to justify missing out on him. They wanted him. He was their choice. And they miscalculated where he'd go.

When this scenario failed, they did the next best thing and got a guy they liked and obtained a couple more picks. They are to be given credit for that. But make no mistake- the guy I feel was our ticket to immediate offensive legitimacy got away, and it puts the focus squarely on this front office to get at least two weapons for their 50 million dollar investment, Sam Bradford, in this round. They need their heads examined if they fail to do so.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -04-27-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Re: Wow, whaddya' Know?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    "When Justin Blackmon was selected by the Jaguars, Jeff Fisher couldn't help but let his frustration show. He slammed his eyeglasses on the table in front of him and said the first one syllable expletive that came to mind"

Any doubt now as to whom the Rams wanted at 6? They moved down, gambled Blackmon would still be there and lost. Put aside the thoughts about "Maybe the Rams weren't as high on Blackmon as others", "Fisher is a defensive guy first", etc. and so forth. Forget trying to justify missing out on him. They wanted him. He was their choice. And they miscalculated where he'd go.

When this scenario failed, they did the next best thing and got a guy they liked and obtained a couple more picks. They are to be given credit for that. But make no mistake- the guy I feel was our ticket to immediate offensive legitimacy got away, and it puts the focus squarely on this front office to get at least two weapons for their 50 million dollar investment, Sam Bradford, in this round. They need their heads examined if they fail to do so.
    Since your quote originated from this article, I've merged your thread with this one.

I don't think it's any secret at this point that the Rams wanted Blackmon. According to the Silver article, it appears he was their second choice behind Richardson, and Brockers was their third choice.

Sometimes teams don't get to take their first or second choice. It happens. I don't think the Rams missed out on a player they liked and were considering. The Jets wanted Mark Barron but he was taken before they were on the clock. This happens every draft. Teams have to adjust, as do fans.

The Rams are entering the second round of the draft today having not yet fulfilled their need at wide receiver. If they fail to fulfill it today or tomorrow, I'll be critical of the front office as well.

But this wasn't a one-player draft, especially at a position that is considered to be one of the deepest in the class; anyone who approaches this event with that mindset is not only being unrealistic but just setting themselves up for disappointment.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wow, whaddya' Know?

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

Again, how are you not getting this?

Nobody is denying that the Rams wanted Justin Blackmon at pick #6. Had he been there, and the Rams selected him, nobody would have been upset.

But... and I can't stress this enough... JUSTIN BLACKMON WAS NOT THERE AT #6!!!!

Let it put it to you this way, when the Rams were on the clock at No. 6, they had an equal chance of taking Justin Blackmon, Calvin Johnson and Jerry Rice (in case I've lost you, that would be 0%).

So, the Rams went to their contingency plan: take Michael Brockers. They could have done so at No. 6 (in fact, I think that one could argue that, based on experience, that's probably what Devaney would have done). Instead, they traded back, still got their man, and obtained the #45 pick as a bonus.

Would I have taken Blackmon over Brockers and the #45 pick? Yes, and the Rams would have too.

But... and again... I can't stress this enough...

THAT WAS NOT AN OPTION!
    Nick and Rammed like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Great pick? Who knows. Great to see the braintrust get who they felt they needed. But, I will hold my opinion on this being a great pick. We need to see how the other picks pan out on paper and then, ultimate grading on this draft will come from witnessing the product on the field unfold.

Given the Rams history of horrible draft picks culminating in an NFL worst 5 year won loss record, one can understand skepticism on this pick but patience is required. So many holes to fill. I anxiously await today's picks.
    How many of those were made by Snead and Fisher?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They moved down, gambled Blackmon would still be there and lost.
    You do of course understand that had they not traded out of the #2 spot, they still would NOT have Blackmon? They would have taken Richardson, and they would not have their top DT prospect, the #39, the #45, an extra 2013 first rounder, and an extra 2014 first rounder.
    Nick and Rammed like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This is great banter going back and forth. My head is spinning.

All I can say is what I have been saying all along. I trust Jeff Fisher 100%!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It's interesting, but it isn't all positive. The overall narrative depicts the Rams passively waiting and hoping that no one will take their favorite players while other teams go out and take what they want. We stay put. If we don't get our guy, we trade down. If we don't get our guy again, we settle or trade down again.

If this is how things went down, glass half full, you say the Rams lucked into getting their guy and picked up extra value in the process. Glass half empty, you say that he was their third choice, and they were willing to risk moving back eight spots because they either assumed that other teams didn't rate him that highly or weren't that concerned about not getting him. Does that mean that the Rams didn't have anyone other than Richardson, Blackmon, and possibly Kalil rated higher than a mid-round grade?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

No, goldenfleece, it means that they rated Brockers much higher than most media pundits and thought that Cox was on even par with him, but would go higher, and that Poe was not that good. They knew we had lots of holes, and if we missed out on Richardson and Blackmon, the next best thing was to try to trade down and fill a couple holes while still getting their top rated(in the end) DT. It isn't that they said that he was the 14th best player, they had him in their top 5. They assumed that given other players and other teams' needs would let him drop there. Like Miami and their QB.

It's called having cake and eating it too.
    I believe!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    No, goldenfleece, it means that they rated Brockers much higher than most media pundits and thought that Cox was on even par with him, but would go higher, and that Poe was not that good. They knew we had lots of holes, and if we missed out on Richardson and Blackmon, the next best thing was to try to trade down and fill a couple holes while still getting their top rated(in the end) DT. It isn't that they said that he was the 14th best player, they had him in their top 5. They assumed that given other players and other teams' needs would let him drop there. Like Miami and their QB.

It's called having cake and eating it too.
    That seems awfully risky to bet that a player you have ranked in your top five will be available at 14. As has already been noted, two DTs did come off the board in that span. It just seems strange that a team would rate a player that highly and assume that no one else had seen what they did on the game tape or that no other team would use the same reasoning in evaluating the player.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    You do of course understand that had they not traded out of the #2 spot, they still would NOT have Blackmon? They would have taken Richardson, and they would not have their top DT prospect, the #39, the #45, an extra 2013 first rounder, and an extra 2014 first rounder.
    Oh yeah........well, they would have at least gotten a top blue chip player and that's how you build a good team, with the best player, and people like watching guys like Richardson, who'd probably be riding the bench a bit with SJ around, but that isn't important cause Richardson would be exciting to watch...... Squirrel!!!!
    HUbison likes this.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    That seems awfully risky to bet that a player you have ranked in your top five will be available at 14.
    Teams don't trade down for one specific player, the risk of him not being there is too great. If you trade down, it's because you're comfortable enough with the talent you expect to be available there. Even if a couple of guys come off the board, you still feel good about what's going to be there. For instance, as Silver points out in the article, if Brockers was gone, the Rams would have had their choice of Alabama cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, Iowa offensive tackle Riley Reiff, or Stanford guard David DeCastro.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

That was a good read, I love the condifence they have in Brockers. And best of all, we got something extra out of it since they would have taken him at 6 since Blackmon was gone. Now 3 picks in the second to get some quality players.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

My trust has never been higher in Fisher. Takes the best DT (that fits our needs) and continues to grab more picks. After todays 2nd and 3rd rounds, many people will be much happier seeing what we do with 4 picks.

THE DREAM TEAM

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How many of those were made by Snead and Fisher?
    Of course NONE. BUT......

Right or worng, guilty by association by some until the on field product takes turn for better. Welcome to the coaching ranks of the worst team in the NFL past 5 seasons.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast