Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Silver: Rams land next T.O. in Brian Quick following secret trip to North Carolina

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Silver: Rams land next T.O. in Brian Quick following secret trip to North Carolin

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Hopefully he contributes right away. The Rams don't have the luxury of giving him time to develop.
    Agree completely. Maybe this pick will work out fine, which is what we all hope for. But I cannot get overly excited about a guy very few in the know projected going this high. Fisher's track record suggests he knows a thing or two about talent and developing players, and on that front, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. But I'm simply not doing flips about anything the Rams have done in the draft until I see these guys perform. If that makes me overly negative, so be it. Chalk it up to years of disappointments.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: Silver: Rams land next T.O. in Brian Quick following secret trip to North Carolin

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    We didn't pass per se, but we did choose to deal with the Redskins instead of the Browns. We also know now that the cost of moving into the Bucs' spot turned out to be not that high--a fourth rounder for the Jags to move up three places. So even if we didn't consciously choose to pass on Blackmon, the front office had options to ensure that we would get him and didn't exercise those options.

This is a nice little spin on the Quick story, though. They make it sound like they found a secret weapon and were trying to keep it under wraps. Let's hope he can live up to the hype!
    We didn't pass on BLackmon. Funny you talk about spin and then you try to spin it as us not wanting him. We would of had to give up the first pick in the fourth round to move up one spot. You really want to make that move?

Basically we had two options

1. Justin Blackmon- take him and move our fourth round pick

2. Michael Brockers, Isaiah Pead, our fourth rounder and the 150th pick. This is what we ended up with for our 6th pick.

I don't see how anyone can spin having Justin Blackmon as greater than having Michael Brockers, Isaiah Pead, the first pick in the fourth round and the 150th pick.

We could end up with Brockers, Pead, Massie and someone like Nick Toon all because we didn't trade up.

general counsel is offline Registered User

When you say the rams could have dealt with the browns, are you suggesting that we should have given up the #39 pick for the sake of taking blackmon at 4 (ie the cleveland pick)? Way too much of a price for a rebuilding team to pay, to say nothing for the fact that that there was no guarantee you would get blackmon at the #4 anyway. How do you know jacksonville wouldnt have traded up to 3 to get him? Furthermore, jacksonville gave up a #4 to move up to take him. Should the rams have given up the first pick in the fourth round to move up (by the way, you are using 20-20 hindsight, there was no way to know that jacksonville would move up like that. Would ANYONE has predicted that tampa would take a #4 to move from claiborne to baron when they have a 40 year old corner and a guy who has been in and out of trouble at the other corner? In what universe is the difference between a safety and a corner worth a #4 pick when both are comporable talents? That move was NOT foreseable for anyone without 20-20 hindsight)

Blackmon is a great prospect. He was #1 on my list of the rams since november. I would have loved to have him. But to say that we "passed" on him is a statement i strongly disagree with> The rams were simply not in a position to say that they HAD to have blackmon at the cost involved, especially with all the 20-20 hindsight involved in the analysis.

Bottom line. Even with the hindsight, if the rams trade up to 5 to get blackmon, we have blackmon, instead of brockers, pead, the first pick in the fourth round and a 5th round pick. There is simply no way i can be convinced that given the situation the rams are in rebuilding wise, blackmon is better than that entire group of assets. Among other things, you are badly underestimating the need at defensive tackle, where the middle of our defensive line has been absolutely awful for years.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12