throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Simple as this, here is why we lost this game ...

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Simple as this, here is why we lost this game ...

Inability to make plays. Execution is always the key. After rewatching a second time on the DVR, it seems to me the game plan was simple. McDaniels designed alot of beautiful running plays to expose the Eagles weaknesses. He would use these, along with a short passing game and play action (i.e. the deep pass to Gibson) to offset the excellent Eagles secondary. But here is why we ultimately lost, or at least the plays I think are most telling, not general missed plays because all teams have those. We are neck and neck with the Eagles for 51 minutes otherwise:

1. Kendricks dropped pass. This was horrible. He could have scored here. -4 points lost.
    2. Bajema's false start at the Eagles 1 yard line. Self explanatory. -4 points lost.
    3. Salas dropped pass that Bradford threw at his knees. Double whammy on this one, as it ends drive. Catch and run gets us in FG position. Likely -3 points.
    4. Many, many, many missed sacks. This is a f(Vick).

Making these types of plays is the difference between being a mediocre or successful team.

Observations:

1. Not getting the hate for Smith. He had the one terrible play where he apparently didn't know the snap count, but otherwise I didn't see anything too glaring. Saffold was terrible, and I am being generous.
    2. Cadillac Williams is a gamer.
    3. Justin King might have a bad moment here and there in coverage, but he is fast, a good tackler, and excellent blitzer.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Simple as this, here is why we lost this game ...

Add all that to the fact that (correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think we've ever beaten a Michael Vick quarterbacked team.

Another play. The early deep pass to Jackson that Bartell should intercept if he turns his head. Eagles get a TD there.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Jax pure and simple is the headline star for the Rams, along with Bradford. Too many times in SJ career he seems to come up lame at the most opportune time the Rams need him, especially on the national stage. The rest of the league shows no sympathy for a busted quad.
    Seems like Sam would of had his game ready and elevated after failing to lead the team to the playoffs last year. The lost to Seattle last year should have been motivation alone.

Like Bulger before him, Bradford is showing the shaky signs of a quarterback not in control of himself or running an NFL offense.

The rookie of the year has yet to bring anything to the National Football League table.

Our Stars lost this game, Philly's Stars made the diffence for them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep .... An example:

Winner - Vick rolls left, buys time, throws a beauty of a pass to D Jax in the back of the end zone.

Loser - Bradford drops back, wide open Amendola in the corner of the end zone, terribly misfires, incomplete ....

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Let's not go crazy here, we hung in there with a real good team most of the game. I saw some positives that provide me with hope for the future. We need to eliminate those drops, though, or we won't beat anyone.

Alot of people are complaining about the lack of deep passes, but I think the gameplan was right on. The Eagles secondary was too good and would have created a couple of turnovers if we were more aggressive

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Our receivers let us down with many many drops yet again. Gibson and Kendricks being the worst offenders.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I thought we lost because the Eagles scored more points

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Let's not go crazy here, we hung in there with a real good team most of the game. I saw some positives that provide me with hope for the future. We need to eliminate those drops, though, or we won't beat anyone.

Alot of people are complaining about the lack of deep passes, but I think the gameplan was right on. The Eagles secondary was too good and would have created a couple of turnovers if we were more aggressive
    I agree..... after I went for a long walk, we where in it... To lose SJ after two plays and still hang in the way we did. Any other QB in the NFL would have been beat up today by our D but we played M. Vick.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I think the Rams failed in about every category. ...except maybe the running game. Even with jax out, the Caddy had some good runs. The pass protection by the front four was not great.

Bradford didn't look good at all, except that play-fake that got the pass-interference call.

The coaching and scheming made no sense to me. They moved the ball well while running the no-huddle, then went away from it. Why? They put pressure on the dog-killer early then backed off and rushed three? Why?

It's only one game, and realistically I expected a loss, but to get man-handled that way was embarrasing. The injuries added to the pain. I hope that team I saw in St. Louis doesn't show up next week in NY or the Rams will be embarrased on MNF.
    Nick and viper like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Only one of Gibson's drops affected anything. Why does everyone forget he beat Asomghua deep TWICE?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Good original post- missed opportunities (an old story) hurt us badly. You can get away with a missed opportunity or two against the weaker teams on the schedule, but you absolutely have to make plays to beat superior teams. As you mentioned, the drops hurt badly, killing momentum and stalling drives. We seem to make mistakes at the worst possible time (Bajema false start on the 1), or make mistakes that end up being fatal (Bradford fumble and subsequent TD).

Gotta' be better.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Bradford looked like a rookie out there today. Looked like he lost that confidence he had last season.

Major30 is offline Registered User

yeah, but getting blasted in the side of the head will do that to ya.

macrammer is offline Registered User

The most disappointing aspect for me was the lack of fundamental football prowess. Too many mistakes.

Two to three plays that would have gone for loss but ended up going for large Eagle gain
    Nice punt return by Norwood brought back due to penalty
    Goal line false start
    Vick early mistakes not captialized with INT (two occassions)
    Kendrick dropped pass that may have gone for 6

Change just some of that, score much closer. Some good things today but still, with injuries, a real tough loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast