Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kman is offline Registered User

simple, HIRE BILL COWHER!!!

we need a coach with some BALLS!!! give him anything he wants but get him ASAP!! its the only way we can turn it around within a year or two..Linehan makes me sick,..hes got no fire at all..whens the last time we did anything? when we had vermeil, somoene with some fire!! my doorknob has more personality than linehan..COWHER WILL GET THIS TEAM IN SHAPE!!! Imagine cowher and haslett together??haslett is prob. biting his tongue whatching this lifeless linehan sink our ship..fire linehan, let haslett take over for the year and then get cowher..

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: simple, HIRE BILL COWHER!!!

No, it's not that simple. Bill Cowher has to want to come here first. It's not like he's desperate to come back to coaching, in fact he's said that he wants to take two years off. I can't see him coming back from semi-retirement early just to save the small-market St. Louis Rams, let alone want to work with our front office.

Just my opinion, but I don't think he would even consider the Rams with all of the other options (possibly Browns, Giants, Panthers, etc.) he'll have.

:l

-jake-

general counsel is offline Registered User

cowher turned down close to 7 million a year to return to the steelers. LEt me estimate the odds of the rams firing linehan, eating the remainder of his contract, paying 7 million a year and turning over total control to cowher for all of you. The odds are SLIM AND NONE AND SLIM HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    cowher turned down close to 7 million a year to return to the steelers. LEt me estimate the odds of the rams firing linehan, eating the remainder of his contract, paying 7 million a year and turning over total control to cowher for all of you. The odds are SLIM AND NONE AND SLIM HAS LEFT THE BUILDING.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC I agree with you but if the Rams continue to lose and fewer and fewer fans show up at the games there will be great pressure on them to bring in someone who will put the fannies back in the seats,I can't see them spending that type of money either,but then I never thought Isaac Bruce would ever get cut by them either.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -10-15-2007 at 10:59 PM.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man View Post
    No, it's not that simple. Bill Cowher has to want to come here first. It's not like he's desperate to come back to coaching, in fact he's said that he wants to take two years off. I can't see him coming back from semi-retirement early just to save the small-market St. Louis Rams, let alone want to work with our front office.

Just my opinion, but I don't think he would even consider the Rams with all of the other options (possibly Browns, Giants, Panthers, etc.) he'll have.

:l

-jake-
    Cleveland and Carolina aren't small markets?

blood85 is offline Registered User

I agree, the front office is going to have to do something.....NOW!!!This is still a business, and if fans stop showing up because of a Pathetic Product (i.e. the Rams), they WILL make a move. It may not be the best move or brightest, but it will be a move. Bill Cowher would be great, maybe it's a timing thing, and the time is just not right for him, maybe it will be later on. This team has shown nothing....with the exception of a few bright spots on Defense. I Vote for CowherPower in 08.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is really starting to get funny. The concept of "Simple.....hire Bill Cowher" is tantamount to "Simple....date Heidi Klum", "Simple.....earn a billion dollars", "Simple.....make the world live in peace"

All of those are near impossible, and none of those are "simple." What would possibly motivate Cowher to come here?

Money? He gave up more than we have ever come close to offering a coach!

A good front office? Pleeeeeease. He walked away from the coaching dream job in Pittsburgh and a FO that actually knows how to win and has a desire to win.

To reunite with Haslett? How is a reunion with the man who was arguably his worst DC in Pittsburgh a motivating tool? Not to mention, how excited would Haslett be about finding himself in the exact same spot in his career he was a decade ago?

Don't get me wrong......I would love to have Cowher here. He is probably my all-time favorite NFL coach. But it's never going to happen. There is nothing to motivate him in this organization. It's just that "simple".

P.S. About Vermeil.....
    whens the last time we did anything? when we had vermeil, somoene with some fire!!
    Yea, cause his first two years (9-23) were awesome!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

say Marty and Cowher give us a big NO thanks,who would you look to after that ?I'm not sure myself, I have read here that John Fox may be available,not bad,I'm stuck after that.

I've heard both Holmgren (.610 w%, 12 post wins) and Reid (.617 w%, 8 post wins) might be available. Pretty similar numbers to both Cowher (.623 w%, 12 post wins) and Schottenheimer (.613 w%, 5 post wins).

Both are the proven commodity that Linehan wasn't. Not dissing Linehan, but if experience is truly the deciding factor here, those guys have actual NFL HC track records to run on.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I've heard both Holmgren (.610 w%, 12 post wins) and Reid (.617 w%, 8 post wins) might be available. Pretty similar numbers to both Cowher (.623 w%, 12 post wins) and Schottenheimer (.613 w%, 5 post wins).

Both are the proven commodity that Linehan wasn't. Not dissing Linehan, but if experience is truly the deciding factor here, those guys have actual NFL HC track records to run on.
    so if it comes to the point where we make a change there will be some quality coaches out there,which could play into the decision making on weather to do it or not.

general counsel is offline Registered User

If career winning percentage is so important, why did so many people want to fire martz!

Guys, there is no simple fix. A coach ISNT going to fix our problems without better players. There is no magic bullet. The injuries have killed this team.

Please keep in mind that cowher went 4-12 (or somethign like that ) the year before he won the superbowl.

This is the bobby april argument all over again. He is fired because our special teams stink and the next year the special teams in buffalo lead the league. Does that mean that he was terrible for the rams and great for the bills or do you just MAYBE think that he had better players in buffalo.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    If career winning percentage is so important, why did so many people want to fire martz!
    Because fans love a scapegoat, GC. It's a lot easier to blame a head coach than it is to realize the team is nowhere near as talented as fans thought, nor are fans expectations anywhere close to the reality of results.
    A coach ISNT going to fix our problems without better players.
    I'm not arguing that it is. Merely offering suggestions if, in fact, Linehan's dismissal is a foregone conclusion.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It is never that simple. If we want career winning percentage, I know of a guy who won a good 72% of his regular season games and also happens to have a broadcasting career. Why don't we just sign John Madden?

One thing we might learn from the Steelers is that patience can pay off. If we do send Linehan packing after two years, that might scare off potential replacements if they thought they would not be given enough time to put together a winning team. It still might be necessary, but that's something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post

Guys, there is no simple fix. A coach ISNT going to fix our problems without better players. There is no magic bullet. The injuries have killed this team.

Please keep in mind that cowher went 4-12 (or somethign like that ) the year before he won the superbowl.

This is the bobby april argument all over again. He is fired because our special teams stink and the next year the special teams in buffalo lead the league. Does that mean that he was terrible for the rams and great for the bills or do you just MAYBE think that he had better players in buffalo.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    GC, I can't help but think an experienced head coach would be handling this situation better,what would he be doing ? I don't know and the injuries are not Linehans fault,but he seems to be grasping at straws right now,to say that any new head coach would be struggling with this is correct,so I don't blame everything on him,i think the players who have stepped in should be embarrassed at there play,they need to be ready when called upon and they need to play like the pros they are suppose to be. does this mean they will be as good as the starters , of course not but better than whats going on out there on the field.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post
    we need a coach with some BALLS!!! give him anything he wants but get him ASAP!! its the only way we can turn it around within a year or two..Linehan makes me sick,..hes got no fire at all..whens the last time we did anything? when we had vermeil, somoene with some fire!! my doorknob has more personality than linehan..COWHER WILL GET THIS TEAM IN SHAPE!!! Imagine cowher and haslett together??haslett is prob. biting his tongue whatching this lifeless linehan sink our ship..fire linehan, let haslett take over for the year and then get cowher..
    Ok.. without meaning to sound pedantic, if it's THAT simple to sign Cowher or for a matter of fact anyone else, - why have'nt we done it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast