Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FestusRam is offline Registered User

A simple note to all the Shurmur doubters

I, for one, am not really upset about Shurmurs playcalling with the hand he was dealt.

That hand is the Rams offense. Not a premium starting hand I would say.

But one thing I think people are looking past is the head coaches game plan. Spags is a defensive oriented coach who believes in ball control and not giving up good field position by the offensive while relying on the defense to cling to those tiny leads. IMO this explains the gameplan pretty clearly and influences Shurmurs playcalling.

Either way I understand people criticizing our offense but let's face it. We didn't have an offense that can put away games this year and I didn't expect to have one. I'm happy with 7 wins.

Next years a totally different hand though and I'm sure Spags will come out of his defensive shell and prove it all to us die hard fans.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: A simple note to all the Shurmur doubters

I agree that Shurmur is limited by both the philosophy of his head coach and the personnel available to this team. While I think in that regard some of what he did this season was impressive, I do think there were a number of times when he could have found more creative and efficient ways to utilize his personnel within the vision Spags had.

As a defensive coach who is conservative by nature, I don't know if Spags will ever truly "come out of his shell" the way some fans want him to. But I'm hoping that with better offensive talent, Shurmur will be able to better stretch Spags' vision to something that's more competitive.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Shurmur is someone I have faith in as our playcaller. Its the team philosophy by Spags which is unbelievably conservative, that worries me.
    Ive never liked this conservative approach by any coach, not just Spags.
    It does keep the TO's down, with the run game being utilized, it does help the defense stay fresh for most the game, when the O is funtioning.
    But to use it as much as the Rams did last season, was the reason they lost so many close games, and ultimately the Seahawk game.
    I dont blame Shurmur for the Rams woes at all, it was Spags who influenced the playcalling too much, stopping us from putting the dagger in teams earlier.
    His philosophy works fine if you have the 2000 Ravens defense, but were a average defense at best, so come on Spags. Sack up for next season, it could be your last!
    To me your just letting teams hang around too much, when you should be going for the kill. Especially in the other teams half.
    It shows weakness to me, a negative (scared) coach, who is more worried about what might go wrong, instead of were going to put that ball in the endzone and score. Thus taking away the other teams confidence, which had been building throughout the game.
    Hopefully this philosophy is mainly down to having a No1 overall pick at QB, coming off a second shoulder surgery in 6 months, coupled with two very young tackles, and a injury depleted WR corps. Playing it safe for this year in other words?
    GO RAMS
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -01-06-2011 at 07:50 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The thing that we all seem to overlook is that Shurmur worked the entire regular season with a "ROOKIE" QB. I think because Bradford impressed us all so much we forget that.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

I disagree. I think we all just jumped into euphoria this year by exceeding not only our own but the league's expectations. Last year we finished 1-15. This year we ALMOST reached the playoffs. The whole reason we have been in most of our games is because of the way the defense played. The games we lost the offense would completely shut down (e.x-raiders,seahawks,niners...etc). Imagine what our record would be had our defense not stepped up in the manner it did this year. Yes the offense is better, but 21st in the league isnt going to scare many teams. The conservative approach of Spags helped us be in most games where last year we would have gotten blown out of regardless of the opposition. In regards to Shurmurs playcalling, alot of his calls this year were "head scratchers". Too many end arounds,bubble screens etc...that they were so predictable at times.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Yea Last year spags went heavy to steven Jackson. But this year with an improving offense at times we would go away from steven. That is the head scratcher to me considering he is going to the pro bowl.

Also the fact that he is screen and quick flat pass happy. I noticed a lot of teams catching on and loading the box on us playing massive cover 2 down CB's just to stop the flat passes all year long. Knowing and seeing that As a lot of announcers pointed out during games.

Chris Collinsworth: I understand that you want to stay conservative and keep putting the ball in your receiver's hands. But at some point in the game you have to say maybe its time to throw some passes down field or down the middle, Try to make something happen, if the short passes aren't working anymore. Sticking to the same formula makes you one dimensional.

And thats basically what shurmur did. Spags is a defensive mind, Shurmur is way up in the box and can see the whole field, spags is on the sideline. Why doesn't shurmur say, Hey i see an opening here lets see if its there and try and make a pass down field. Hence our loss to the seahawks.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    Yea Last year spags went heavy to steven Jackson. But this year with an improving offense at times we would go away from steven. That is the head scratcher to me considering he is going to the pro bowl.

Also the fact that he is screen and quick flat pass happy. I noticed a lot of teams catching on and loading the box on us playing massive cover 2 down CB's just to stop the flat passes all year long. Knowing and seeing that As a lot of announcers pointed out during games.

Chris Collinsworth: I understand that you want to stay conservative and keep putting the ball in your receiver's hands. But at some point in the game you have to say maybe its time to throw some passes down field or down the middle, Try to make something happen, if the short passes aren't working anymore. Sticking to the same formula makes you one dimensional.

And thats basically what shurmur did. Spags is a defensive mind, Shurmur is way up in the box and can see the whole field, spags is on the sideline. Why doesn't shurmur say, Hey i see an opening here lets see if its there and try and make a pass down field. Hence our loss to the seahawks.
    We actually threw a few downfield from wha
    t I remember
    DX just couldn't bring them and neither could robinson

rammiser is offline Registered User

Shurmur was dealt a team with little wr talent. However I wonder why during the Seahawk game we did not run one screen play to the running backs when they worked very well in the first game vs Seattle. I know one of them went for a td and the other went for like 50 yards. Yes he was limited with talent but also seemed to limit himself at times. Hopefully we bring in some wr talent and then open up for Bradford. Having such a compact offense makes me look at Jacksons stats this year with amazement. Everything was short and underneath and the defense loaded the box. Jackson still managed to do plenty of damage under those circumstances. Staying healthy next season would help this team as well. Im looking forward to an interesting off season and bigger things next year.
    Just Fix It

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Spags doesn't seem like someone whose going to be caught up in his philosophy too much. Face it: We didn't have the talent, really. We still need upgrades within the interior OL and, obviously, WRs. If we are still seeing conservatism, with or without Shurmur as OC, then I'd believe that perhaps Spags is getting too much power with the offense. Until that happens, I'm going to remain neutral and hope for the best draft possible to improve both the offensive and defensive side of the ball.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

richtree is online now Registered User

Let's not over-analyze things here. All I know is that the offense should be better.

The Bills Offense looks more threatening than ours. I'll give the team some slack this season due to injuries and a rookie QB. BUTTT, game 1 of next season this offense better open up into a QB driven attack.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Let's not over-analyze things here. All I know is that the offense should be better.

The Bills Offense looks more threatening than ours. I'll give the team some slack this season due to injuries and a rookie QB. BUTTT, game 1 of next season this offense better open up into a QB driven attack.
    That's an interesting viewpoint, rich. What is it about this offense that makes you feel they should be better?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is online now Registered User

As a defensive coach who is conservative by nature, I don't know if Spags will ever truly "come out of his shell" the way some fans want him to. But I'm hoping that with better offensive talent, Shurmur will be able to better stretch Spags' vision to something that's more competitive.
    This is my biggest fear for the furture, right here... I will take the wait and see approach. When we get our WR back and add the 1# guy near year, I hope he will play to blow games open and not try and grid out a win.

As I Rams fan I will always take a win, but it will be really hard to watch every game and never have an easy win. It will be hard to say we could have won or we we could have closed the game out late in the third, BUT.

Lets hope Spags did a great job with a rookie QB and some no name WR and when he has the real ones in the line up we don't see a fear to pass the ball for more they 3 yards.

richtree is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    That's an interesting viewpoint, rich. What is it about this offense that makes you feel they should be better?

Firstly, we have an above average offensive line.

Secondly, we have a top dual threat Running Back.

Thirdly, we don't throw the ball more than 20 yards enough.

Forthly, with a good defense what's the big deal in a interception deep down the field when the end result would mostly equal a punt.

Fifthly, we didn't exactly have a tough schedule this season.

I feel Spags gets 100% out of his defensive talent on Sundays.

Although our offensive personell isn't great Spags/Schumer only get about 60-70% out of that talent. Great call on that end around in the Seattle Game.....pshhh

I ll wrap up there for now...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think I can answer that....

How 'bout six points against one of the worst defenses in the NFL?

...and it wasn't because a couple of passes were dropped. I know the team is weak in some areas, but come on, six freakin' points against that team last Sunday? SIX POINTS?

Yeah, I think this offense is better than they showed. I blame that on Spags and Shurmur for trying too hard to protect Bradford. He didn't take chances until it was too late. He played it too close to the vest and he couldn't recognize that during the game until it was over. It was a chance to go to the playoffs and he blew it. The Rams had more talent than the Seahawks, for sure. Better QB, better RB, and as good WR's. A fumble recovery with great field position at one point, yet all they could muster was a couple of FG's. Jackson was running with some authority early on and was close to breaking a couple of them, then Spags goes away from that. Why? Nothing over 10 yards in the air? No screens? What was Spags and Shurmur's offensive game plan? They opened it up more against the Chargers when they played them because they knew that was their only chance to win. They took some chances and it paid off. They did the same thing against the Whiners in the second game. They opened it up a bit. Why go away from that? They showed NO confidence in their offensive players. None.

The Seahawks came out and took chances, and they are playing this weekend because of that. ...and the Rams? Well, they played another came ultra conservative and they get to stay home and watch. ...and guess what? They'll do the same thing next year unless they take chances now and then and trust their players to make plays.

Very, very disappointing.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Regardless of the personnel, you cannot keep calling the same shallow routes and dumps to the flat every damn week.

Against the Shehawks, we started t establish a running game on the first drive, then went away from it. That is poor playcalling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast