adarian_too is offline Registered User

Question Since the obvious happened, why don't I remember Duncan's release ... need help at LB

OK. Releasing KW "saves money." It became obvious over time that the FO woulldn't support bringing back KW. Well, what is up with the fact that Jamie Duncan hasn't been released?

It is after June 1st, so the salary cap isn't an issue. Duncan had his 2nd chance last year. It should be "obvious" too that Duncan has been dead weight. If the FO thinks depth is an issue, then they can go out and get Trotter or Gilden.

In fact, despite the big contract, Trotter's didn't have much of an off year last year. He had 115 solos/assisted tackles. (His high is only 122, 120, & 115 with Phil). He had 2 forced fumbles which equaled his career high. And he had 1 interception which equalled or exceeded four of his 6 seasons.

This "obviously" would help the Rams at LB even if Duncan isn't released - which frankly boggles the mind why it hasn't happened yet. Trotter's release puts him in poorer bargaining position then when he originally signed with Wash. so salary cap issues should be navigatable.

Snyder didn't know what he was doing in acquiring Candidate and he also, I submit, didn't know what he was doing in releasing Trotter.

I'd like a really cogent reason from the FO why they don't release Duncan and pick up Trotter.
    Last edited by adarian_too; -06-02-2004 at 09:40 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Since the obvious happened with KW being released, why hasn't Duncan been released?

I thought Duncan had been released?

I'll have to double check on that, but if he hasn't I am almost certain he will be.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Since the obvious happened with KW being released, why hasn't Duncan been released?

He was released in March or April and has signed on with Atlanta. That's why the Rams have brought in 5,000 LB's.

Okay. I'll back off the hootch for a while. Must be effecting my short-term memory ... I can't imagine what else it could be ....

Good. I trust you guys on this one. At the same time though, I still say that picking up Trotter could be a big boost for the D.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Duncan was released a week or so after the draft. I guess your mind can stop being boggled.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

With all due respect, signing trotter is not within the realm of reality for the rams. We have three solid starting linebackers and while it would certainly be nice to have trotter for depth, there is no question that someone (ie the giants, seachickens et al) will pay him as a starter. We are in no position cap wise to outbid someone for what would be a backup to us.

As a citizen of the fair city of atlanta, i can confirm for sure that duncan has brought his Human Whiffing on the Tackle routine to town to play for the falcons.

ramming speed to all,

general counsel

All right. Dog pile if you must. I'm trying to rewrite history as I go here. Most anything will boggle my mind ... just taking the tape off a roll sends me into convulsions ... But, I understand DOG PILE. :rolleyes:

Do I need to go into the evils that lurk in The Hollow?

Nah...I'll save that for a rainy day. The sun'll come out tommorrow....

We are in no position cap wise to outbid someone for what would be a backup to us.
    Fair enough ... but I'm not so sure that he couldn't take Thomas or Polley's job. And hopefully without sticking my foot back in my mouth (just one of many, many evils lurking here I can attest to ), Polley's an UFA next year and bidding this year might be cheaper than bidding next year ...

general counsel Guest

Its very hard for us to budget where we are cap wise for next year since Pace is the big wildcard. If Pace signs, that frees up real dough for next year. By then, trotter will be long gone.

Correct, polley is a free agent at the end of this year. I believe we are up in the air as to whether he comes back. Depends on how he does this year, how healthy he stays, and how much money he wants.

Right now, after the captain kurt waiving, we are roughly 5 million under give or take (remember we were only 36k under before warner was waived), but remember we need about 3 million to sign the rookies. Thus, we probably dont even have the money to sign trotter, and if we did, it would shoot our load completely with every last dollar we had, leaving nothing to cover the possibility of injuries later. According to espn (for what that info is worth), trotter is looking in the 3-3.5 per year range.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I agree about Pace GC. If the Rams could get him signed long term it would do wonders for the future cap situation. As far as Trotter, I am reading mixed reviews. I am not so sure teams will be beating down his door. Last word from the hawks was that holmgren was not too high on trotter.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    All right. Dog pile if you must. I'm trying to rewrite history as I go here. Most anything will boggle my mind ... just taking the tape off a roll sends me into convulsions ... But, I understand DOG PILE. :rolleyes:
    As Rams fans, we tend to erase anything about Duncan from memory. :confused:

Credibility is always a legitimate issue. If ESPN quotes Trotter as wanting 3/3.5 I'll accept that for debating purposes. On the other hand, the notion about being only about $5M under the cap now is suspect.

I have always wanted to see the actual books, so that we could confirms "facts" being reported are facts indeed.

So granted, we can't know what the market will bear next year for LBs, and taking a flier on anyone is somewhat of a gamble, if the money was "found" somehow either through contract renegotiations or some other creative accounting technique, then it is equally possible that resigning Polley becomes irrelevant ... which of course presumes that Trotter makes the grade ...

It was quite clear last year that the D was not all it should have been ... regardless of injuries. Standing pat, which is what the FO has done essentially if not back-stepped, is a recipe for further disappointment.

Bringing some fresh blood in could inject some new found enthusiasm and as much as much as the DTs have been criticised I think the lack of play from the LBing corps is what weakened the D most.

So, for my gambling addiction, I'd bet on Trotter this year and prod the FO to utilize creative accounting if need be.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    Fair enough ... but I'm not so sure that he couldn't take Thomas or Polley's job. And hopefully without sticking my foot back in my mouth (just one of many, many evils lurking here I can attest to ), Polley's an UFA next year and bidding this year might be cheaper than bidding next year ...
    True, but if we're thinking about cheap answers at the linebacker position, you have to wonder about all the bodies the Rams currently have in camp at the position and whether or not one of them would be able to step up if Polley was either disappointing or decides to test the market. I don't think we necessarily have to bring in a free agent to be a starter as a linebacker.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

You are right there also Nick. We don't "necessarily have to bring a free agent in ...." And ultimate success is in large part due to the unexpected success that some previously unknown (e.g, draftee) has in a particular year. And I am all in favor of finding budding talent at lower dollars. From what I could see, I thought last year presented an opportunity in Shanle. He seemed to put a lot a hurt into his hits and his suspension should have been the end of his punishment. But that is another story ...

It is also not exclusively an econmoic issue. As I said above, I submit the D could benefit from some "fresh blood." I am well aware that a draftee or undrafted FA also represents fresh blood. But I think there is something to be said for experience. Trotter is only 27 and as indicated, his so-called "down year" last year was not so much different from his previous years.

According to NFL.com, Trotter recorded 113 tackles compared to 68 for Polley, 71 for Thomas, and 76 for Pisa. Trotter had as many forced fumbles as Polley and Thomas combined. And his sacks matched them also. In fact Trotters numbers were closer to Urlacher than anything the Rams' LB corps could muster.

So in the end, I am still left with the conclusion that ...

"Bringing some fresh blood in could inject some new found enthusiasm and as much as much as the DTs have been criticised I think the lack of play from the LBing corps is what weakened the D most.

So, for my gambling addiction, I'd bet on Trotter this year and prod the FO to utilize creative accounting if need be."