Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,303
    Rep Power
    153

    Since we're ranting...

    This isn't aimed at any one individual, but is based on multiple responses I've seen both recently and over the course of the season.

    It's my absolute honest belief that Dez has put together one of the best St. Louis Rams discussion sites on the 'net. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't have stayed here for more than six years, nor would I have agreed to help moderate the site to try and help out where I can.

    But it seems to me that lately, this season more than any in recent memory, some members have been making these snarky, disparaging, negative comments about other members, threads, or the board in general. It ranges from the borderline personal attacks of another poster to criticisms of a thread being pointless to comments about looking for a new board or questioning why they even come to this one. While these comments may not explicitly violate board rules, their negative effect to a thread or the board itself is obvious.

    Well, the simple truth is this: NO ONE is being forced to read this or any thread, just like no one is being forced to read another member's posts or even come to this site.

    If you don't like a topic or don't think it's a worthwhile discussion, don't read the thread. Click on the back button and find another one.

    If you don't like a poster's opinions and don't want to read any more of their posts, then don't. Go into your UserCP and put that person on your Ignore List.

    If you're considering leaving or questioning why you come here, then to be blunt, either **** or get off the pot. Don't post multiple responses about leaving, crying out for attention.

    No one is forcing you to come here, post here, read topics here, or "suffer" through someone else's opinion here. Those are YOUR CHOICES. You control your presence here and what you're exposed to.

    I think one of the main reasons I like the Clan is because I find there are many very intelligent, very knowledgeable football fans here that are ready and able to discuss all aspects of this game. Maybe it's a very positive, upbeat discussion, or maybe it's a critical discussion about problem areas on the team. But I find meaningful discussions every day on this board, not only about the Rams but about the NFL as a whole and specifically the draft and college prospects. I love engaging in these topics. Occasionally though, I find some discussions that, for whatever reason, I'd rather not be a part of because I don't see the point. When that happens, I simply move on to the next discussion. Trust me, it's not difficult.

    When people make negative responses that denigrate other posters or blame the board because of what's being said or what they've been exposed to, I simply have to shake my head. Yes, there are occasions when someone has stepped over the line, and when rules have been violated, we moderators are more than willing to do what we think is best. We encourage people to use the Report Post feature when they feel a rule has been violated, as we're human and don't catch everything.

    But in many cases, the problem isn't with the board for "forcing you" to read something, but rather the problem is when posters do not exercise some self-control when they don't like a topic or the opinions of another member by leaving the thread or ignoring the member. If you think someone is a troll who is out for attention, why would you want to respond and give that person more attention? If you don't think a certain topic of discussion brings any value to the board, what good could possibly come of entering into a topic you don't like to say how pointless it is?

    The wonderful thing about a message board is that you're more than welcome to stop reading something and go to another thread, or if you're so inclined, another site entirely. I would encourage anyone who doesn't like what they're reading at any particular time to do that rather than make needless negative responses that serve no other purpose than to bash another poster, topic, or the board itself simply because of the presence of opinions that you may not agree with or may not feel have value.

    I'm looking forward to starting a new year where hopefully this will not be an issue, because it's been a downer during a season that has really been one of the best we've seen in a number of years.


  2. #2
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,230
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This isn't aimed at any one individual, but is based on multiple responses I've seen both recently and over the course of the season.

    It's my absolute honest belief that Dez has put together one of the best St. Louis Rams discussion sites on the 'net. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't have stayed here for more than six years, nor would I have agreed to help moderate the site to try and help out where I can.

    But it seems to me that lately, this season more than any in recent memory, some members have been making these snarky, disparaging, negative comments about other members, threads, or the board in general. It ranges from the borderline personal attacks of another poster to criticisms of a thread being pointless to comments about looking for a new board or questioning why they even come to this one. While these comments may not explicitly violate board rules, their negative effect to a thread or the board itself is obvious.

    Well, the simple truth is this: NO ONE is being forced to read this or any thread, just like no one is being forced to read another member's posts or even come to this site.

    If you don't like a topic or don't think it's a worthwhile discussion, don't read the thread. Click on the back button and find another one.

    If you don't like a poster's opinions and don't want to read any more of their posts, then don't. Go into your UserCP and put that person on your Ignore List.

    If you're considering leaving or questioning why you come here, then to be blunt, either **** or get off the pot. Don't post multiple responses about leaving, crying out for attention.

    No one is forcing you to come here, post here, read topics here, or "suffer" through someone else's opinion here. Those are YOUR CHOICES. You control your presence here and what you're exposed to.

    I think one of the main reasons I like the Clan is because I find there are many very intelligent, very knowledgeable football fans here that are ready and able to discuss all aspects of this game. Maybe it's a very positive, upbeat discussion, or maybe it's a critical discussion about problem areas on the team. But I find meaningful discussions every day on this board, not only about the Rams but about the NFL as a whole and specifically the draft and college prospects. I love engaging in these topics. Occasionally though, I find some discussions that, for whatever reason, I'd rather not be a part of because I don't see the point. When that happens, I simply move on to the next discussion. Trust me, it's not difficult.

    When people make negative responses that denigrate other posters or blame the board because of what's being said or what they've been exposed to, I simply have to shake my head. Yes, there are occasions when someone has stepped over the line, and when rules have been violated, we moderators are more than willing to do what we think is best. We encourage people to use the Report Post feature when they feel a rule has been violated, as we're human and don't catch everything.

    But in many cases, the problem isn't with the board for "forcing you" to read something, but rather the problem is when posters do not exercise some self-control when they don't like a topic or the opinions of another member by leaving the thread or ignoring the member. If you think someone is a troll who is out for attention, why would you want to respond and give that person more attention? If you don't think a certain topic of discussion brings any value to the board, what good could possibly come of entering into a topic you don't like to say how pointless it is?

    The wonderful thing about a message board is that you're more than welcome to stop reading something and go to another thread, or if you're so inclined, another site entirely. I would encourage anyone who doesn't like what they're reading at any particular time to do that rather than make needless negative responses that serve no other purpose than to bash another poster, topic, or the board itself simply because of the presence of opinions that you may not agree with or may not feel have value.

    I'm looking forward to starting a new year where hopefully this will not be an issue, because it's been a downer during a season that has really been one of the best we've seen in a number of years.
    I love this board, and I have been a member since Dez first started it (even though my post don't reflect it. My account was breifly booted and deleted because I hadn't updated my email address a while back); since he spun away from RAMFANS.com.

    I enjoy the spirited debates, the overwhelming amount of expertise analysis, the often SJD (Rabid where are you) that only want to see the good, the PRF (does Darren ever come around here?) that try to stop us koolaid drinkers from going to far, and the comradery that helps overcome a tough loss.

    I will never threaten to leave because someone said something I disagree with (sorry, can't get rid of me that easily), or run off in a tissy. This is just a great place for RAM fans to get together.

    I will say that we should reassess the rules that we already have, and remove post that are causing a flame war. If you post something in the heat of the moment, and it clearly says something that is a personal attack (even if it wasn't meant that way) and someone points it out, edit the post or remove it. Plain and simple.

    I will say that if there was a post similar to Dez' post, that said the exact same thing about the LA fans, and their inability to TAKE a team that the NFL is trying it's best to put in that town, it would be deleted as inflamitory. Even if it was posted in the NFL Talk forum. That is the way I feel, and there isn't much that can be said to change my mind.


    gap

  3. #3
    KoaKoi is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    874
    Rep Power
    28

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    ya, the thing is I look at it this way... if i don't like a thread, the LAST thing I want to do is comment on it and boost it back to the top. The BEST way to kill a thread and have it sink into old news oblivion is to "let it go" & don't comment on it. It's boycott philosophy in its finest form. Sure you may hate a thread and it'll stay at the top cuz so many peeps are posting on it, but hey, less fuel to the fire is what i say. when the posters realize they're arguing to thin air, the thread will drop and disappear very quickly. best way to deal with a bad thread is ignore it.

  4. #4
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Well, fact is this ...

    This board for some reason has gotten watered down over the past two years. I never had to worry about picking and choosing which threads I wanted to read, because at one time, it seemed there was constructive discussion and valuable information in almost every thread posted ...

    Now, this is not the case. Sometimes I feel like I post just to post, and that is unfortunate. At one point in time, I took the time to often write creative and detailed posts that I felt contributed greatly to the board. I don't take the time to do this anymore, because these threads, which take time to develop, are often left in dust for the random repetitve one line nonsense that has become more commonplace ...

    In recent months, I have begun posting on other boards, and I spend less time here. Mostly because the interface of this forum is too slow for me nowadays, because of the filtering that I have to do to find productivity ...

    It is what it is, but many of the posters that I used to love discussing Ram football with are nowhere to be found, either because they left or they post very infrequently. There is a reason for this ...

  5. #5
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,495
    Rep Power
    167

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, fact is this ...

    This board for some reason has gotten watered down over the past two years. I never had to worry about picking and choosing which threads I wanted to read, because at one time, it seemed there was constructive discussion and valuable information in almost every thread posted ...

    Now, this is not the case. Sometimes I feel like I post just to post, and that is unfortunate. At one point in time, I took the time to often write creative and detailed posts that I felt contributed greatly to the board. I don't take the time to do this anymore, because these threads, which take time to develop, are often left in dust for the random repetitve one line nonsense that has become more commonplace ...

    In recent months, I have begun posting on other boards, and I spend less time here. Mostly because the interface of this forum is too slow for me nowadays, because of the filtering that I have to do to find productivity ...

    It is what it is, but many of the posters that I used to love discussing Ram football with are nowhere to be found, either because they left or they post very infrequently. There is a reason for this ...
    There are plenty of Rams fans here worth discussing football with (both on line and at the Bash). Considering that you've been sporting "Banned" as your avatar and "RIP" as your location, maybe you're not looking hard enough.

  6. #6
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There are plenty of Rams fans here worth discussing football with (both on line and at the Bash). Considering that you've been sporting "Banned" as your avatar and "RIP" as your location, maybe you're not looking hard enough.
    The fact that I have to "look harder" says enough ....

    I contribute when I feel I can, but most of the "battles" on here nowadays are not worth fighting ...

  7. #7
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, fact is this ...

    This board for some reason has gotten watered down over the past two years. I never had to worry about picking and choosing which threads I wanted to read, because at one time, it seemed there was constructive discussion and valuable information in almost every thread posted ...

    Now, this is not the case. Sometimes I feel like I post just to post, and that is unfortunate. At one point in time, I took the time to often write creative and detailed posts that I felt contributed greatly to the board. I don't take the time to do this anymore, because these threads, which take time to develop, are often left in dust for the random repetitve one line nonsense that has become more commonplace ...

    In recent months, I have begun posting on other boards, and I spend less time here. Mostly because the interface of this forum is too slow for me nowadays, because of the filtering that I have to do to find productivity ...

    It is what it is, but many of the posters that I used to love discussing Ram football with are nowhere to be found, either because they left or they post very infrequently. There is a reason for this ...
    Aren't you the guy who gave me reputation and in the comment said "Blow Me!"

  8. #8
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,250
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Well said Nick. I'd reward you but I have to spread it around.

    I've never been a fan of disparaging the site or threatening to leave over a difference of opinion or slight. It's pointless because quite frankly, people come and go, and the site continues to function just fine, with or without any single individual.

    I learned long ago to develop a thick skin, not take things too personally, and stay away from discussions I'm not willing to take some heat over. I do understand that it's human nature to want to lash out when you feel you've been attacked, but the best way to respond, if you have to, is with a well thought-out, reasonably toned counter argument.

    There is a constant ebb and flow to this site as far as personality conflicts and attitudes, but even though people might irritate me from time to time, I can honestly say I ultimately have nothing but respect for virtually everyone here (that includes everyone I debated with in a recent lengthy thread). We're all Rams fans who want the same thing, our team to have success. That bonds us together and makes ClanRam a community.

    I have no doubt we'll continue to move on as we always do, and focus on the business at hand, vanqishing a hated foe in the biggest game in more than half a decade. Doing that will REALLY give us something to talk about.

  9. #9
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,398
    Rep Power
    52

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Aren't you the guy who gave me reputation and in the comment said "Blow Me!"
    Maybe it's just me, but that is flat hilarious.

    (I'm still laughing).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  10. #10
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    Aren't you the guy who gave me reputation and in the comment said "Blow Me!"
    Quite possibly, your point? It forces you to say something, you probably earned it!

    I'm really not proud of the body of work in my last 900 posts or so ...

  11. #11
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well said Nick. I'd reward you but I have to spread it around.

    I've never been a fan of disparaging the site or threatening to leave over a difference of opinion or slight. It's pointless because quite frankly, people come and go, and the site continues to function just fine, with or without any single individual.

    I learned long ago to develop a thick skin, not take things too personally, and stay away from discussions I'm not willing to take some heat over. I do understand that it's human nature to want to lash out when you feel you've been attacked, but the best way to respond, if you have to, is with a well thought-out, reasonably toned counter argument.

    There is a constant ebb and flow to this site as far as personality conflicts and attitudes, but even though people might irritate me from time to time, I can honestly say I ultimately have nothing but respect for virtually everyone here (that includes everyone I debated with in a recent lengthy thread). We're all Rams fans who want the same thing, our team to have success. That bonds us together and makes ClanRam a community.

    I have no doubt we'll continue to move on as we always do, and focus on the business at hand, vanqishing a hated foe in the biggest game in more than half a decade. Doing that will REALLY give us something to talk about.
    You write with a flair unmatched by any other on this board ...

    Quite possibly my favorite poster to read on a day to day basis!

  12. #12
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    A rule of thumb- one that is often NOT followed, hence the problem today with computers, blogs, message boards, etc. is "Don't say something on the computer you wouldn't have the guts to say face to face to someone else". Anonymity makes many people a tough guy or a troublemaker, and most people who insist on trolling or raising people's ire are probably pussies in their day to day lives.

    I enjoy good debate. I don't want to agree with everything everyone else says about the Rams. If we all thought alike, what fun would life be? What I DO NOT enjoy is when people feel the need to be facetious or go out of their way to make you look like an ass in order to argue their case. Common sense should dictate to whom and to what you'll respond. Well-reasoned posts you disagree with deserve healthy rebuttals and debates. Abstain from sarcasm. Responding to threads that start by saying something like "Sam Bradford Sucks" only fuels the idiot who starts such a message.

    I have not been here since the board's inception, but I do not feel this board has gotten less worthwhile from the time I started until now. You have some good threads, some average ones and some stinkers. I'd guess that most forums out there share these same similarities. Some days, I'll post multiple times; other times I may go a week or more without posting at all. As the saying goes: "Tis better to be silent and have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". Post only when you have something worthwhile to offer. And if one feels he must "post just to post', as Infiniti claims he's done most recently, I would say refrain from doing so. Forcing conversation or discussion is neither healthy nor enjoyable. Take a rest and come back refreshed when a topic interests you.

    Look forward to many more future discussions about the Rams. In the meantime, let's get the job done on Sunday vs. SF- it means everything.

  13. #13
    swatter555's Avatar
    swatter555 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MO
    Posts
    484
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Quite possibly, your point? It forces you to say something, you probably earned it!

    I'm really not proud of the body of work in my last 900 posts or so ...
    Lol, I think its funny. I chuckle ever time I read it. I get a special satisfaction from getting under somone's skin that much.

  14. #14
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,250
    Rep Power
    127

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    You write with a flair unmatched by any other on this board ...

    Quite possibly my favorite poster to read on a day to day basis!
    Thanks Infiniti, I very much appreciate those sentiments.

  15. #15
    Ironmaidenram's Avatar
    Ironmaidenram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Turlock, Ca
    Age
    43
    Posts
    265
    Rep Power
    6

    Re: Since we're ranting...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This isn't aimed at any one individual, but is based on multiple responses I've seen both recently and over the course of the season.

    It's my absolute honest belief that Dez has put together one of the best St. Louis Rams discussion sites on the 'net. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't have stayed here for more than six years, nor would I have agreed to help moderate the site to try and help out where I can.

    But it seems to me that lately, this season more than any in recent memory, some members have been making these snarky, disparaging, negative comments about other members, threads, or the board in general. It ranges from the borderline personal attacks of another poster to criticisms of a thread being pointless to comments about looking for a new board or questioning why they even come to this one. While these comments may not explicitly violate board rules, their negative effect to a thread or the board itself is obvious.

    Well, the simple truth is this: NO ONE is being forced to read this or any thread, just like no one is being forced to read another member's posts or even come to this site.

    If you don't like a topic or don't think it's a worthwhile discussion, don't read the thread. Click on the back button and find another one.

    If you don't like a poster's opinions and don't want to read any more of their posts, then don't. Go into your UserCP and put that person on your Ignore List.

    If you're considering leaving or questioning why you come here, then to be blunt, either **** or get off the pot. Don't post multiple responses about leaving, crying out for attention.

    No one is forcing you to come here, post here, read topics here, or "suffer" through someone else's opinion here. Those are YOUR CHOICES. You control your presence here and what you're exposed to.

    I think one of the main reasons I like the Clan is because I find there are many very intelligent, very knowledgeable football fans here that are ready and able to discuss all aspects of this game. Maybe it's a very positive, upbeat discussion, or maybe it's a critical discussion about problem areas on the team. But I find meaningful discussions every day on this board, not only about the Rams but about the NFL as a whole and specifically the draft and college prospects. I love engaging in these topics. Occasionally though, I find some discussions that, for whatever reason, I'd rather not be a part of because I don't see the point. When that happens, I simply move on to the next discussion. Trust me, it's not difficult.

    When people make negative responses that denigrate other posters or blame the board because of what's being said or what they've been exposed to, I simply have to shake my head. Yes, there are occasions when someone has stepped over the line, and when rules have been violated, we moderators are more than willing to do what we think is best. We encourage people to use the Report Post feature when they feel a rule has been violated, as we're human and don't catch everything.

    But in many cases, the problem isn't with the board for "forcing you" to read something, but rather the problem is when posters do not exercise some self-control when they don't like a topic or the opinions of another member by leaving the thread or ignoring the member. If you think someone is a troll who is out for attention, why would you want to respond and give that person more attention? If you don't think a certain topic of discussion brings any value to the board, what good could possibly come of entering into a topic you don't like to say how pointless it is?

    The wonderful thing about a message board is that you're more than welcome to stop reading something and go to another thread, or if you're so inclined, another site entirely. I would encourage anyone who doesn't like what they're reading at any particular time to do that rather than make needless negative responses that serve no other purpose than to bash another poster, topic, or the board itself simply because of the presence of opinions that you may not agree with or may not feel have value.

    I'm looking forward to starting a new year where hopefully this will not be an issue, because it's been a downer during a season that has really been one of the best we've seen in a number of years.
    Yeah, go RAMS baby!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •