Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Singletary interviewed with Rams for DC job.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Singletary interviewed with Rams for DC job.

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS Passing along some NFL news: #Vikings assistant Mike Singletary interviewed with the #Rams this week for def coordinator job, per source.

Thoughts?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Singletary interviewed with Rams for DC job.

My first reaction is the "scheme fit" issue that the Rams cited as why Rob Ryan didn't work out is all but proven bogus, since Singletary's history as a coach is primarily in the 3-4 as well.

Then again, maybe Mike's more willing to coach a 4-3 scheme with a staff that's already been assembled for him than Rob was.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My first reaction is the "scheme fit" issue that the Rams cited as why Rob Ryan didn't work out is all but proven bogus, since Singletary's history as a coach is primarily in the 3-4 as well.

Then again, maybe Mike's more willing to coach a 4-3 scheme with a staff that's already been assembled for him than Rob was.
    I understand your view, but from what i have read, he has never actually been a DC. i might be wrong though. But if im right, maybe he kept the 3-4 because it was what was implemented from the previous Coaches and thats what the players fit for.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This per NFL.com

Mike Singletary was one of 13 candidates the Chicago Bears didn't hire during their marathon head-coaching search. He's not ready to give up his quest to move back up the NFL personnel ladder.

Singletary -- currently the Minnesota Vikings' linebackers coach -- met with the St. Louis Rams about their vacant defensive coordinator position, according to Jeremy Fowler of CBSSports.com.

NFL Season in Moments
    Relive the most unforgettable moments of the entire NFL season with exclusive videos and articles. More...
    Prior to joining the Vikings last season, Singletary spent three seasons as head coach of the San Francisco *****. He was fired late in 2010 and replaced by Jim Harbaugh, who's led the Niners to the NFC Championship Game and the Super Bowl in back-to-back years.

Singletary was a Hall of Fame linebacker with the Bears, but has never been a defensive coordinator in the NFL. His Q rating took a hit during the end of his run in San Francisco, but catching on with the Rams would certainly send his career back in the right direction.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I hope not. MS's intensity served him well as a player but , as a coach, there's a line between inspirational and disruptive. I don't think he knows that. He clashed with everyone in SF, especially high-strung but talented kids like Davis and Coffee.Iirc, Coffee quit the NFL altogether.Is that who we want working with Jenkins, et al on a daily basis? SF's run D was great during his tenure but the DBs were a mess that he never fixed. I'd prefer someone with some pass D cred and gamecalling skills as well as a good teacher. I don't see any of that in Singletary.
    RealRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    He coached a 3-4 in SF, but if I'm not mistaken, he played in a 4-3 throughout his career.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

From Buddy Ryan's son to Buddy Ryan's LB. Why not go get Buddy Ryan instead? He's only 81.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The guys an idiot, but at this time I dont even care. Whatever the hell Jeff wants to do is what he's going to do.

THE DREAM TEAM

bruce4life is online now Registered User
    AS Long as sexy rexy never steps on the field for the rams I don't care if its buddy Ryan's best friend from high schools long as its not Rex Ryan.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think my biggest concern with a guy like Singletary is that he'd view the DC position as a mere stepping stone to getting another HC gig. While any quality coordinator can be a HC target, I'd rather have someone who, at the end of the day, would be fine being a career DC.
    Haste likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I hope not. MS's intensity served him well as a player but , as a coach, there's a line between inspirational and disruptive. I don't think he knows that. He clashed with everyone in SF, especially high-strung but talented kids like Davis and Coffee.Iirc, Coffee quit the NFL altogether.Is that who we want working with Jenkins, et al on a daily basis? SF's run D was great during his tenure but the DBs were a mess that he never fixed. I'd prefer someone with some pass D cred and gamecalling skills as well as a good teacher. I don't see any of that in Singletary.
    I agree with this, Azul. Singletary strikes me as being a guy who has a hard time relating to guys who don't have the dedication and drive that Mike Singletary had when he played. As a coach, you have to understand each guy is different and must be treated differently to get to their full potential. This isn't easy! Some guys need a pat on the ass while others need a kick in the ass. In fact, some of the best coaches out there in all sports are guys who were marginal pros. Being a great player doesn't mean you're destined for head coaching success. Ask Ted Williams and Magic Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken, Fisher and Singletary played together so I'm not surprised he got an interview, but he would not be my choice for Rams DC.
    MauiRam likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I agree with this, Azul. Singletary strikes me as being a guy who has a hard time relating to guys who don't have the dedication and drive that Mike Singletary had when he played. As a coach, you have to understand each guy is different and must be treated differently to get to their full potential. This isn't easy! Some guys need a pat on the ass while others need a kick in the ass. In fact, some of the best coaches out there in all sports are guys who were marginal pros. Being a great player doesn't mean you're destined for head coaching success. Ask Ted Williams and Magic Johnson.

If I'm not mistaken, Fisher and Singletary played together so I'm not surprised he got an interview, but he would not be my choice for Rams DC.
    I am still very upset the ***** did not keep him as head coach......they would have continued to be less then mediocre.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

The conspiracy theorist in me says, even though the Rooney Rule does not yet apply to coordinators that may change during this off-season and the Rams may want to look good early. This may be coming from the front office. I still prefer Dick Jauron for purely football reasons.

Go Rams!
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mde8352gorams View Post
    I still prefer Dick Jauron for purely football reasons.

Go Rams!
    Ditto! ... Agreed.

SportsDude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think my biggest concern with a guy like Singletary is that he'd view the DC position as a mere stepping stone to getting another HC gig. While any quality coordinator can be a HC target, I'd rather have someone who, at the end of the day, would be fine being a career DC.
    I agree with you but we went a Super Bowl with a Lovie Smith as our DC. If we have a DC who gets Head Coach offers that means our defense is playing well and we our winning games. If Singletary is that guy I would perfectly happy if we had him for about 2 years and then Jeff Fisher would hire the best guy again.

I really don't care who we hire I will support whatever Fisher and Snead do

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Also, craig dahl still sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast