Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth

Thread: Situation: You're the GM. Fix our OL!

Sauceman is offline Registered User

Situation: You're the GM. Fix our OL!

You're the GM. You can make any move you want. You can build through the draft and/or free agency. Right now the Rams may have the ugliest situation in football at the offensive line (Dolphins a close second).

Fix the OL going into the 2014 season. Make realistic trades, F/A signings, and draft picks.

Go!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Situation: You're the GM. Fix our OL!

Seriously start with a FB. Considering the depth of the LB cores (49whinner/Cards/Seagulls), one more body in the running game to get the RB into the second level of a defense helps. And if as a GM I done a good job, I'd have another tool to take on a Safety. I am thinking Jay Prosch, big and quick.

Considering the Rams needs for offensive tools, I am thinking WRs first round. But second/3rd is where I'd find one or two OL help. Fortunately this draft is rather deep in talent and a lot of excellent prospects may fall in the later rounds.

I doubt a deal can be done, but I'd see if the Lions would trade Kyle Long. I still believe the Lions really made a reach for Kyle last season, and would trade a second round pick but I'd offer a third first...its where I had K. Long as 3rd rounder. Its partly to have the Long brothers and partly for talent--I believe it would inspire a healthy completion among them to out-do-each other. Every team has a message they try to take to the SB or a gimmick-that's my gimmick

Baring the unrealistic at getting K. Long, likely the draft at no more then two positions. But FA hasn't really started and I wouldn't be surprised if an unexpected OL hits the market. Here I am looking for brains and brawn. An older veteran to 2 year deal to help mentor the rookies.

But what I'd be looking for is a chemistry among the line and inspire an "attitude". Of all the things a HC/GM has to creat that's the hardest, its an Offensive Line. No other grouping in football needs to be as coordinated and unified as the entire line

Mikey is offline Registered User

Draft Matthews or Robinson with our first pick. They will start at RT if Long is ready to go, if not they start at LT and Barksdale starts at RT. With our second rounder I draft David Yankey, Xavier S'ua-Filo, or Gabe Jackson and start them at LG. I sign Geoff Shwartz and start him at RG.

If Long is ready to go we start this:
    LT Jake Long
    LG 2nd rounder(Yankey, S'au-Filo or Jackson)
    C Wells(Barnes if Wells ends up being let go or beats out Wells)
    RG Shwartz
    RT Matthews/Robinson

One of our firsts, our second and a free agent that will take 4-5 million tops to sign and we have helped our line out tremendously. We also have Barrett Jones who will be in the mix at either guard or center if he has a good camp and is finally healthy.

bigdogg2834 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Seriously start with a FB. Considering the depth of the LB cores (49whinner/Cards/Seagulls), one more body in the running game to get the RB into the second level of a defense helps. And if as a GM I done a good job, I'd have another tool to take on a Safety. I am thinking Jay Prosch, big and quick.

Considering the Rams needs for offensive tools, I am thinking WRs first round. But second/3rd is where I'd find one or two OL help. Fortunately this draft is rather deep in talent and a lot of excellent prospects may fall in the later rounds.

I doubt a deal can be done, but I'd see if the Lions would trade Kyle Long. I still believe the Lions really made a reach for Kyle last season, and would trade a second round pick but I'd offer a third first...its where I had K. Long as 3rd rounder. Its partly to have the Long brothers and partly for talent--I believe it would inspire a healthy completion among them to out-do-each other. Every team has a message they try to take to the SB or a gimmick-that's my gimmick

Baring the unrealistic at getting K. Long, likely the draft at no more then two positions. But FA hasn't really started and I wouldn't be surprised if an unexpected OL hits the market. Here I am looking for brains and brawn. An older veteran to 2 year deal to help mentor the rookies.

But what I'd be looking for is a chemistry among the line and inspire an "attitude". Of all the things a HC/GM has to creat that's the hardest, its an Offensive Line. No other grouping in football needs to be as coordinated and unified as the entire line
    Kyle Long plays for the Bears and was a Pro Bowler this past season. Doubt they would let him go. Let alone for a second or third rounder.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Sorry your correct, I had Lions on the brain again...hense why I want K. Long and thought it unrealistic

general counsel is offline Registered User

While i am sure the situation will settle itself a bit, for today, i am thinking of the following line

Tackles- Slater and Pace
    Guards- Harrah and Mack
    Center Doug Smith

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    RealRam, Bar-bq and bradwill like this.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Sign Geoff Schwartz
    Draft Lewan/Robinson/Matthews in 1st Round
    Draft Yankey in 2nd Round

LT: Jake Long
    LG: David Yankey
    C: Scott Wells/Tim Barnes
    RG: Geoff Schwartz
    RT: Robinson/Matthews/Lewan

EDIT: Barskdale also rotos in. Where as Robinson/Matthews/Lewan are eventual LT replacement, Barksdale will be for RT

If we trade back #2 or Take Clowney, we might take Lewan later. Thats why I have him as an option. If Clowney is taken by Texans. We should still move back to 4 or 5 and get Matthews or Robinson
    Last edited by QUINNtessentialTruth; -03-11-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    FestusRam likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

LT Long
    LG Williams or maybe a Kevin Boothe (draft a guard like Norwell or Spencer Long and essentially redshirt him)
    C Draft Richburg or Swanson
    RG Jones
    RT Barksdale