Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

SJ excused/missing from first meeting

Doesn't bother me in the slightest but, since the Bulger-bashers seem to be rising,albeit only the illiterate ones so far, from their off season slumber, I thought this might be of interest to the SJ critics.

per JT @ The P-D 3/16/09:

Pro Bowl running back Steven Jackson was the only player missing Monday as the St. Louis Rams began their offseason conditioning program. There was nothing mysterious about Jackson’s absence; coach Steve Spagnuolo said Jackson had some family matters to attend to before re-joining his teammates at Rams Park.
    Technically, the offseason program of weightlifting and conditioning drills is voluntary. Only players under contract are allowed to participate. Spagnuolo said wide receiver Derek Stanley, who remains in the rehab process following a late-season knee injury, was the only player coming off a 2008 injury who did not participate in Monday’s session.
    The Rams are just 17 days away from their first minicamp practices under Spagnuolo. As a new head coach, Spagnuolo is allowed to have three minicamps instead of the normal two.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Re: SJ excused/missing from first meeting

sjax has already said he's pumped for the season, he's in good shape and is ready to utilize brown and karney in front of him. if this was a mandatory workout and there was an injury report than this would be of some importance.

shower beers is online now Registered User

Only a little over two weeks until minicamps! Woohoo!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I really can't say much about Jackson in this case. Tending to family matters is very vague. Whatever the excuse or excuses were they were good enough for Spags. So they'll have to be good enough for me.

Keenum is offline Registered User

As long as he is excused, I'm OK with it.
    What I don't want to see though is Jackson missing a lot of time in camp. I really believe that missing some camp time will hurt you. Peyton Manning wasn't very good early this year... he missed a lot of time.
    I also think preseason is more important than most think. Larry Johnson, L.T., and Jackson all started off horribly... and it just so happens they were the 3 big time RBs who played minimally in the preseason.
    Gotta get those reps, because if you don't, other guys will get ahead of you.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

I just hope he doesn't hold out for a bigger contract like he did last year

rammiser is offline Registered User

Why is this even a story? The guy was excused to take care of some family matters. This isnt even worth reporting.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

"Steven Jackson burped -- film at 11:00"

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Source or I'm not trusting it.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Why is this even a story? The guy was excused to take care of some family matters. This isnt even worth reporting.
    Sure it is, with all that money he got he should be at that meeting unless there was a death in the family. If so, im sorry, but if not its unacceptable.

Im your everyday middle class joe and Im at work even in tough times because
    I have to be. Should it be any different for a multi million dollar football player?
    Last edited by BEER; -03-17-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    LOL...can't wait for that ..um... report. Hope the audio is good; my Dad always said you should break wind at the same time as you burped. It was a sign of royal blood.

He often reminded us of this little-known fact at the dinner table, to my Mom's chagrin.

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    Sure it is, with all that money he got he should be at that meeting unless there was a death in the family. If so, im sorry, but if not its unacceptable.

Im your everyday middle class joe and Im at work even in tough times because
    I have to be. Should it be any different for a multi million dollar football player?

Sure I bet you show up to everything your work calls voluntary. Theres a voluntary training session at your work and your there right. Please quit holding him to a different standard than you. They are football players not super heroes. So if you had a family matter to take care of, and there was a voluntary training course or something of that matter you'd blow off your family. Sure you can try and make this a story but it isnt one. You don't have to be at something voluntary that's why it's called voluntary. If it was mandatory then you have to be there. He's asked for an excusal to a voluntary training would you do that?
    Just Fix It

maineram is offline Registered User

Don't get me wrong, SJ can be a beast AT TIMES, on gameday. But he also DISAPEARS for stretches in games also. How many times over the past few years when it is 3rd and anything, and there is big boy SJ on the sideline sucking wind with his helmet up watching his back up get the carry ?? TOO MANY TO COUNT.

I have a guy like SJ that works for me and he also, ALWAYS HAS A REASON. SJ needs to get in there, shut up about how good he thinks he is and show us. I don't care for his, I've been in the league for 10 years and do you know who I am, attitude.

I'm hoping that this is the year he grows up and plays consistently good football.............. it starts NOW though.

The whole, "family matters to attend to", bugs me. New coach, new season, get your arse in there if your so pumped !!

I'm done

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

shower beers is online now Registered User

"not a game...a practice."

Where's Allen Iverson when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Don't get me wrong, SJ can be a beast AT TIMES, on gameday. But he also DISAPEARS for stretches in games also. How many times over the past few years when it is 3rd and anything, and there is big boy SJ on the sideline sucking wind with his helmet up watching his back up get the carry ?? TOO MANY TO COUNT.

I have a guy like SJ that works for me and he also, ALWAYS HAS A REASON. SJ needs to get in there, shut up about how good he thinks he is and show us. I don't care for his, I've been in the league for 10 years and do you know who I am, attitude.

I'm hoping that this is the year he grows up and plays consistently good football.............. it starts NOW though.

The whole, "family matters to attend to", bugs me. New coach, new season, get your arse in there if your so pumped !!

I'm done

Maineram -
    Steven is nothing like anything you posted. I met him in person and he is nothing like what you say. He doesnt have a me first attitude. He sets goals for himself but those goals translate into team success. If he reaches those goals the team will be successful. Yeah I also see Jackson sucking wind after a 40 yard run and after carrying the ball several times during the game to get a breather. How do you know the coaches werent taking him out? This is so stupid these things were voluntary and he asked to be excused. VOLUNTARY and he asked for permission to miss a day or two. Geez what a terrible, and selfish guy. Wonder if this was Chris Long what the reaction would be? Some guys in this league never go to these voluntary team fuctions.

I have noticed Jackson disappear in games it's when they werent throwing it to him or handing it to him.
    Just Fix It

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast