• 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By Nick
  • 5 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By evil disco man
  • 2 Post By THOLTFAN81

Thread: SJ quoted on Rams "It wasn't about the money...."

general counsel is offline Registered User

SJ quoted on Rams "It wasn't about the money...."

Sando posted on espn tonight, quoting Jackson. I dont know how to post the link, maybe someone else can do it. Jackson says that he has a very frank heart to heart conversation with the Rams and the issue was not money, it was about him not wanting to accept a reduced role, ie wanting to continue as a primary back, rather than part of a running back by committee situation. Jackson says great things about the rams as an organization, including that he understands the commitment to pead and richardson and the business side, but sando speculates that Jackson has effectively moved on emotionally.

Some of these are direct quotes, some is speculation by sando, but reading that article sure makes me a lot less optimistic about the changes of Jackson returning. If he is going to accept a reduced role in any event and this isnt about money, logic tells me that Atlanta or Denver are much more likely destinations than returns to the Rams.

I can't tell all of you how sad it would make me to see him leave. If this was a money issue, i would understand it better on the Rams side, but i do think that Jackson has plenty left to continue as a feature back, especially in his intangibles and power game and i think he is going to be a lot harder to replace than many others seem to think.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    mde8352gorams likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: SJ quoted on Rams "It wasn't about the money...."

The thing is.... most teams in the NFL are using the runningback by committee philosophy these days.
    The reduced role that Jackson saw last season was by design as Fisher wanted him as healthy as possible for the stretch run. Which also allowed Fisher the chance to grade the back-ups and see exactly what they had to offer. Richardson was a pleasant surprise in my opinion. I would hate to see Jackson leave but I trust Fisher knows what he's doing.

mde8352gorams is online now Registered User

GC, I share your thoughts concerning the potential departure of SJax. I saw him this AM on ESPN's NFL 32 and he seemed genuinely conflicted about moving on from the Rams. He wants to play for a winning team, which I certainly understand. I will say that I think this is an experiment for both sides. The Rams may be willing to learn what his market value is before committing to him for another 2-3 years. The difficulty, the way I see it, is that each side has a different priority in the negotiations. For the Rams its money & years and for SJax its about stature. Each side can learn more after Tuesday and perhaps a deal can be done that benefits each side. I feel Les Snead is a good poker player, particularly when he's familiar with the other player's tendencies, in this case Atlanta. The silver lining for you might be that you will be able to witness SJax firsthand if he goes to the Falcons.

Stay tuned, this matter isn't over. Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's not about the money, money, money
    I don't need your money, money, money
    I just wanna win a title
    No thanks to your committee

Ain't about the cha-ching, cha-ching
    All about the ba-bling, ba-bling
    Wanna win a title

...wait, what? Doesn't Av usually do this kind of stuff?
    laram0 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    It's not about the money, money, money
    I don't need your money, money, money
    I just wanna win a title

Ain't about the cha-ching, cha-ching
    All about the ba-bling, ba-bling
    Wanna win a title

...wait, what? Doesn't Av usually do this kind of stuff?
    Well done, my young apprentice.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

It's just too bad that he might end up leaving the Rams right as they become a legitimate playoff contender. I wish he could stay and finish the job.

I'll root for his team as long as they aren't playing the Rams. Making a new avatar is gonna be tough. This is the first Rams player I will actually feel sad about losing.
    citr92 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    Making a new avatar is gonna be tough. This is the first Rams player I will actually feel sad about losing.
    I don't know if I'll ever be as devastated as I was when we lost Holt (hence the name).
    evil disco man and citr92 like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson - RB - Rams

Citing a source who spoke to the Rams, Bill Huber of Packer Report reports that free agent Steven Jackson will "likely" sign with Green Bay.
    Recently, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported the Packers, Falcons, and Broncos were all showing strong interest in Jackson. Green Bay has the most salary cap space of that group, and Packers GM Ted Thompson is a longtime admirer of S-Jax. We'd anticipate a deal worth something like $12 million across three seasons. Jackson is going on age 30, but has juice left in the tank.
    Related: Packers
    Source: Bill Huber on Twitt

I wonder what the signing bonus would be if this happened, Not like this is a huge deal.