1st & Goal is offline Registered User

SJ and the rams future

I think everyone would agree that S.J. is one of the few offensive weapons this team has. That is not my question. My question is "If this team is 3 years away from competing for a division title, will S.J. still be an elite back?" He will be 29 yrs old by then. Realistically, we may need to look for another dominate back in the draft (1st rd) in the very near future. The QB position will need to be addressed next year but looking into the future; stud running back will be a pressing need.

"I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: SJ and the rams future

I don't buy the premise. In this league, no team is ever 3 years away from competing for a division title.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

We have way way way too many needs to draft a running back in the first round at least for six more years. Even an old S Jax is still a good S Jax.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Too many needs to draft a RB in the first round, but I wouldn't mind picking one up in the 2nd or 3rd if they think he's a steal. Jax isn't going to be a 25 carry RB at 29.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Wow...did I take too long a nap today & miss the rest of the 2009 season?!

No matter how good SJ is now or in 3 yrs, it's pretty clear from looking at the successful rush attacks around the league that you need a cohesive unit, ie O-line,TEs,and FB as well as a primary and secondary back, to accomplish anything other than big individual numbers for fantasy fans.

We still don't even know what Darby and Gado have to contribute this year. One of the many disappointing things about the Hags game was the failure to use either one of them to help catch Seattle off guard. Darby was pretty effective in that role vs The Hags last year.Not a single hand-off for either of them. if they were targeted for a pass, i don't remember it.

Let's worry about DeSpags getting the best out of what we have first.

Just to indulge your,imo, really premature question briefly, look at the RB we will face this week, Portis, for an example of a back who has maintained a high level of productivity over a long stretch and with different teams, to boot. Bettis, the very epitome of a bruising power back, who had several very good years after the age of 30, is another example.

Since RB is one of the most violent spots in a brutal game where the average career is just 3-4 seasons, the odds aren't, I'll admit, in SJ's favor but it isn't a given that he will be done at the ripe old age of 29.
    And I don't think it will make much difference who we draft to replace him if the other parts of the unit aren't in good shape. Not to mention the D, pass O, STs, better uniform choices (white on white? what, are we the Chargers? Bleah...), etc,etc.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

I realize I was not as clear as I wanted to be. My opinion, is this team will need 3 years to become competative every time they take the field, regardless of who they are playing. LT has turned 30 yrs old and many are talking about his decline. SJ Will be 29 at the beginning of the 2011 season. Is it fair to say, the organization should take that into their future plans and anticipate the need to replace SJ, via the draft. Hope this clears up my thought.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

I guess we'll see but I would be surprised if he were still a top 5 or even top 10 back in 3 years. RBs just don't have long careers and they drop off quickly.

The other side of the equation, though, is that a RB should be one of the last pieces you put in place because the learning curve for them is a lot less steep than for most other positions. Just look at how many stud RBs you see each year. I'd much rather push for a SB run with a rookie RB than, say, a rookie QB.