Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: SJax Is Making It Tough To Say Good-Bye

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

SJax Is Making It Tough To Say Good-Bye

A few weeks ago, we learned that the Rams and Steven Jackson had made a deal that will allow SJax to opt out of his contract and become a FA at the end of the season. After this was revealed, there was a lot of speculation about a possible trade to a contender, though a deal never materialized (and, perhaps, was not even seriously discussed).

Throughout all of this, the general sentiment of Rams' fans was best characterized as a general acceptance of the inevitable. SJax was a nearly 30 year old RB who was trudging through a mediocre season (403 yards, 3.7 ypc in 8 games).

Then... after the bye week, a funny thing happened to our workhorse on the way to the glue factory.

In the last three weeks, Steven Jackson has come alive. In three games, he has 66 carries for 321 yards (4.9 ypc). He'd likely have significantly more yards if the Rams had not inexplicably handed him the ball only 13 times against the Jets. He also has scored a TD (only his second of the season) and caught 4 passes for 31 yards over this three game stretch.

So what does this mean?

Is this merely SJax going out in a blaze of glory before moving on to a new city in 2013?

Or, perhaps, could the news of SJax's demise in St. Louis be greatly exaggerated?

There is certainly a scenario in which bringing back SJax in 2013 makes a lot of sense. If he is willing to sign a deal that (1) lowers his cap number to around $4M, and (2) does not lock him or the Rams in for an extended period (perhaps a 1 year contract with options for additional years), I'd say its time for Rams' fans to chant "ONE MORE YEAR!"

Remember, in addition to being a still productive runner, SJax does not fumble, is a good receiver, and is above average in picking up the blitz. Even if the Rams move towards more of a "RB by committee" approach, he would have great value as part of the platoon.

So, perhaps, its not time to box up those #39 jerseys.

Perhaps, SJax will be around long enough to help the Rams take the next step towards being a contender.

As Rams fans, we should hope that is how his final chapter is written.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: SJax Is Making It Tough To Say Good-Bye

I would love to see Jax come back at something like 2 years 8-10 million. I really don't think he'll get much more than that on the open market.

Of course he may want to play for a Super Bowl contender but personally I don't think the Rams are far off from the playoffs. I think we will be in the mix for a playoff spot next year.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

The best i wish for SJax is a superbowl with the Rams or superbowl with another team. He has earned it. It is tough to see great running backs go out quietly into retirement. PLEASE DO NOT TRADE HIM TO WHINERS OR PATSYS!!!
    Varg6 and THOLTFAN81 like this.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Rambos is offline Registered User

There is certainly a scenario in which bringing back SJax in 2013 makes a lot of sense. If he is willing to sign a deal that (1) lowers his cap number to around $4M, and (2) does not lock him or the Rams in for an extended period (perhaps a 1 year contract with options for additional years)
    If he keeps playing like this his market value is going to go up. The Rams are now claiming this was the plan, to have him split reps early and save him for the second half. OK, but the JETS game was played in the second half of the season and they just did not use him.

I would like to see SJ signed for two or three more years at the right price and knowing he's wants to finishing a Ram. If he's good with splitting reps and it seems like he is, it will come down to the money it always does.

I'm glad he is playing great and gets to go out or stay on his own terms he deserves it IMO.
    mde8352gorams likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Well stated AV. I agree we should find a way to keep SJax around for at least 2-3 more years at a cap-friendly number. I somehow find it interesting that a team like Green Bay who desperately needs a running game for the post-season wouldn't want him. My instincts tell me he doesn't want to play in Green Bay, which is understandable for a kid who grew up in Las Vegas. It's not about the women, it's the warm weather.

Bottom line, I think Les and Kevin will find a way to keep a solid player around for a team that could go places in the next few years. I also believe he wants to stay too.

Go Rams!

Haste is offline Registered User

While I like SJ39, I'd hate to see us sign him to a deal and then him to be done from age like other backs who just fell off the cliff.

I think the only way that he would still produce well would be on high powered teams to take the pressure off of him.

Teams like the Pats, Packers, Bengals, Bears, and Falcons would be my guesses of where he goes in that order. If he does stay in St. Louis, we need to make our offense a whole lot better for him to continue producing the way he has in recent weeks.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I give all the credit to Richardson. I think seeing Richardson work so hard to get a spot on the roster and see him give it his all to the point to where he's sharing reps with the best Rams running back in history re-energized Steven Jackson (no offense to Dickerson or Faulk).

I think the burst of energy and the strive to succeed by Richardson reminded Steven Jackson of who he is...which is the beast and we all remembered why we cherish SJ39 when he took on the all the linebackers and safeties probably the best defense in the league and made them look like rookies (yeah, talking about your whiners.)

I can't imagine seeing SJ39 wearing any other color. Plus, can you imagine what SJ39 would do if he played against our defense?

Once a Ram...ALWAYS a Ram.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Jackson hasnt ran like this since 06. I love it, but sometimes you have to know when to let go. He may have another season MAYBE two left in the tank. Good teams know when to move on, and im afraid we may unless jax plays for peanuts and cracker jacks.

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

If we can get 500,000 fans together and we all agree to give up 6 dollars, we can pay him under the table and then he can take a huge salary cut and still play for us.

I say we get this petition started. I mean seriously, what's six dollars? That's not even enough for a big mac meal.
    Tampa_Ram and gap like this.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

To lose him would be a big blow. As hopefully that they will get it together in 2013! Let's not lose him! As losing him would mean the end about. Not nearly the end but still!
    August School is Fall!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ljcrayton View Post
    If we can get 500,000 fans together and we all agree to give up 6 dollars, we can pay him under the table and then he can take a huge salary cut and still play for us.

I say we get this petition started. I mean seriously, what's six dollars? That's not even enough for a big mac meal.
    Where do I sign up?

gap

EDIT: I'd even do $60, so we would only need 50,000 fans to get on board. If the NFL catches us, we could ask for the Debartilo mulligan.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    I have been a fan for 50 years, but have only bought one jersey. You might say "Huh?", but I never got into buying jerseys.
    Anyway, I hope he retires a Ram.

Speaking of jerseys, at the game this weekend, the old blue and yellow outnumbered the current colors probably 3-1, and of those, I'd guess half were either Youngblood or Dickerson. Kinda' cool - reminded me of 'back in the day'. Rams were well represented - all in all, a great weekend.

And we won absent DA, except that one great catch. Is he a stud or what.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

bruce4life is offline Registered User

SJax Is Making It Tough To Say Good-Bye

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I have been a fan for 50 years, but have only bought one jersey. You might say "Huh?", but I never got into buying jerseys.
    Anyway, I hope he retires a Ram.

Speaking of jerseys, at the game this weekend, the old blue and yellow outnumbered the current colors probably 3-1, and of those, I'd guess half were either Youngblood or Dickerson. Kinda' cool - reminded me of 'back in the day'. Rams were well represented - all in all, a great weekend.

And we won absent DA, except that one great catch. Is he a stud or what.
    Deacon jones, Faulk, warner, Bruce all the old school jerseys were out in the desert this weekend.

The best part of the game was with 2 mins left all the rams fans started cheering and standing. You saw Chris long, James laurentitis and Truman's Johnson acknowledge us...

Trevor is offline Registered User

I get all teary eyed with the though of Steven Jackson leaving. It will hurt just like when Isaac Bruce left.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I get all teary eyed with the though of Steven Jackson leaving. It will hurt just like when Isaac Bruce left.
    This.

Please don't go Jack .... Favorite Ram back EVER!
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast