Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: SJAX Talking Contract Extension

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

SJAX Talking Contract Extension

" Steven Jackson revealed on PFT Live Tuesday that he is working with the Rams on a contract that would allow him to retire in St. Louis.Jackson is signed through 2013 with twin base salaries of $7 million. Rumors circulated back in April that S-Jax wanted a new contract and might ask out of St. Louis. Both were true to some extent, but Jackson never caused a problem for the organization, and it is now willing to commit to him as a franchise stalwart. "We've had some contact about making sure I retire as a Ram," said S-Jax, 29. "I think somewhere in the future, myself and the Rams will get something worked out. To make sure I can retire as a Ram." "

- Rotoworld

Thank the Lord! Lets get it done!

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: SJAX Talking Contract Extension

This can be a real win/win situation. The Rams can pay SJax more money over a longer period of time, while structuring the deal to clear cap space in the short-run (which will be helpful given the Rams must re-sign Long and Laurinaitis).

I think NFL fans everywhere should be pulling for him to get a shot at a ring. He has proven to be a true team player.
    KoaKoi, lostsoul and JM7 like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I like the idea of a longer deal and less cost per year. As long as it is not a huge deal. And at some point he needs to take less snaps as he starts to slow down, they all do. He's not there yet but he is human.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I like the idea of a longer deal and less cost per year. As long as it is not a huge deal. And at some point he needs to take less snaps as he starts to slow down, they all do. He's not there yet but he is human.
    Based on Rotoworld's write-up of the interview, I'm not sure Steven sees it that way.

Steven Jackson made it clear on PFT Live Tuesday that he would not be thrilled if the Rams attempted to give rookie Isaiah Pead a big 2012 role.

"Yeah. I actually see him being a backup," said S-Jax, who did not react enthusiastically when asked if he'd "give up some of the load" to Pead. "If it's the way I want it, to continue to live out the legacy of my career, I will continue to be the workhorse. He can relieve me at times during the game, or when we need a change of pace against the defense." Jackson said he anticipates "25 to 30, plus touches a game." We still like Pead as an explosive handcuff with big upside if Jackson got hurt or broke down at age 29.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

could see him doing a "bettis" as in getting that ring then riding off into the sunset. rather than leaving town and winning one elsewhere..

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I hope this happens. I love how loyal he is. Loyalty is virtually non existent in todays NFL.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Based on Rotoworld's write-up of the interview, I'm not sure Steven sees it that way.
    Steven Jackson made it clear on PFT Live Tuesday that he would not be thrilled if the Rams attempted to give rookie Isaiah Pead a big 2012 role.

SJ is no different than Marshal when it comes to reps at this point in his career SJ wants the rock. I think we should ride SJ hard, not try and cut his rep or save his legs... Run him and when he's done then make the move to Pead. I agree with SJ, until he's slows down don't take reps away. I'm taking two or three years from now I don't want SJ to have nothing left and the Rams having a big contract.

Pead has said a few times he's here to compete and wants to play, so it should be interesting. Competition is good and SJ has never had anyone to push him so lets hope Pead can.
    Last edited by Rambos; -07-24-2012 at 10:37 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

SJ will turn 30 next summer. And folks, 30 is a (black) magic age for running backs. They go downhill quick fast in a hurry. Don't believe me?

Ahman Green, Jamal Lewis, Thurman Thomas, Corey Dillon, Edgerrin James, Eddie George, Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, Larry Csonka, Jerome Bettis, Earl Campbell, Roger Craig, Ladainian Tomlinson, OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, and Marshall Faulk

All of them were unstoppable until the magically 30 year old point.

Maybe S-Jax can stretch out a year or two before he falls off the cliff. Like Emmitt Smith (32), Walter Payton (32), Curtis Martin (31), or Tony Dorsett (31)

Or maybe he pulls a Jim Brown / Barry Sanders and walks away at the age of 30.

Or he could walk in the shoes of Marcus Allen. For the first four seasons of his career, he was a feature back getting 19 carries per game. But at the age of 26 his workload was decreased as he started sharing the carries with other backs (some guy named Bo got a few). Over the rest of his career, he got 12 carries a game. His workload decreased, but he was still running the ball at the age of 37.

If S-Jax keeps insisting to be the "workhorse", he may well do so. But only for another year or two at the most.

So bottomline, my opinion on this. Let him walk after 2013. He's not gonna have anything left at that point anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I think SJax has enough wear on his body that decreasing carries at this point won't prolong his career. All it would do is take away carries from him while he is still capable of producing, which would be counter-productive. Ride him until he can't do it. I know Sjax is a proud man, but I also feel that when it becomes obvious he can't carry the load, that he won't get upset when he has to share. Nothing to support my contention, just the fact he's a team player.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Give him a 3 year extension worth 17 million, 9 million guaranteed.

He deserves to see the rams make the playoffs when he is on this ballclub.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

If Jackson wants a contract extension, then he better be willing to split carries with Pead. I know he loves pounding the rock on a weekly basis but if he wants to be able to contribute past 30, then he'll need to reduce the wear and tear in his body.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I have no problem giving him an extension, as long as it doesn't have a lot guaranteed. That way when he loses his wheels, he d

chucknbob is offline Registered User

I have no problem giving him an extension, as long as it doesn't have a lot guaranteed. That way when he loses his wheels, he doesn't kill the salary cap. As far as Pead goes, he WILL get the rock. We didn't spend a second round pick so he could hold the bench down. I think SJax will get most carries early, but it could be 60/40 by the end of the year.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I think SJax has enough wear on his body that decreasing carries at this point won't prolong his career. All it would do is take away carries from him while he is still capable of producing, which would be counter-productive. Ride him until he can't do it. I know Sjax is a proud man, but I also feel that when it becomes obvious he can't carry the load, that he won't get upset when he has to share. Nothing to support my contention, just the fact he's a team player.
    Well, we're just speculating of course, but I disagree. I think this guy is so driven and self-confident that he is blinded to even the possibility that one day (very soon) his body will revolt. He will forever believe that he can be the workhorse even when it's painfully obvious to everyone around him that he won't. If he signs an extension beyond 2013, then he will be faced with the situation of having to share carries. He won't like, and at some point after 2013, he will demand a trade.

I truly believe 2013 is his last productive year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I think this guy is so driven and self-confident that he is blinded to even the possibility that one day (very soon) his body will revolt. He will forever believe that he can be the workhorse even when it's painfully obvious to everyone around him that he won't.
    As you say, we are speculating, but that said, I must agree with you on his forever believing he can be the workhorse. At some point, Fish/Snead will have to do what is best for the team regardless of Steven's loyalty to the Rams over the years. I'm hoping Pead proves to be good enough to garner a significant amount carries thereby reducing the load on Jackson so he can last another couple of years playing at a high level.