Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: SJ's Problem

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

SJ's Problem

" Free agent Steven Jackson says his disagreement with the Rams isn't about money, but it has more to do with his role moving forward. "

- Howard Balzer

THE DREAM TEAM

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: SJ's Problem

Part of me wonders if this situation really began when the Rams flirted with Trent Richardson last offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Part of me wonders if this situation really began when the Rams flirted with Trent Richardson last offseason.
    Perhaps. At this point, he's as good as gone. Can't believe I'll be watching football and I'll actually have to worry about #39 not being back there.

THE DREAM TEAM

SJ Good as Gone?

Running back Steven Jackson has voided the final year of his contract with the Rams, which would have paid him $7 million. But as he looks for the first time in his career for a new team, he says it’s not about the money.

Of course, that usually means it is. In Jackson’s case, however, we’re inclined to believe him.

“I’ve been able to have a successful career, especially dealing with some hard times as an individual,” Jackson told SiriusXM NFL Radio. “But it’s more at this point of my career [I] want to be a part of something, chasing a Lombardi Trophy. I want to be a part of something special. And at this point where I’m at, and where the Rams are right now, we had a very open discussion, very heart-to-heart, about what my role would be going forward from now. And that’s where the disagreement comes in. It wasn’t about salary.”

In other words, it was about the money for the Rams. After all, they allowed Jackson to void the final year of his deal, even though he didn’t reach the triggers necessary to make it go away. If Jackson hadn’t voided the last year of the deal, chances are the Rams wouldn’t have wanted to pay Jackson $7 million for a reduced role.

“It would be more of a running back by committee kind of agreement [with the Rams] going forward,” Jackson said. “I embrace the fact that I took in Daryl [Richardson] and Isaiah Pead and taught them a lot and hopefully they’ll go on to not only excel, but be very good athletes and good professionals in this league. But for where I’m at going into year 10, I’m not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or reduced role guy, to be a part of a running back by committee. I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot to offer a team. We’re not talking about someone that is in year 12 or 13. But I understand. I understand the business side of it. I still have a great relationship with the organization and one day I’ll be going back there.”

Moving forward, Jackson hopes to be another team’s primary option at tailback.

“I’ve opted out of my position of being with the team and being comfortable because I want to continue to still be the bell cow,” Jackson said. “So that’s how I want teams to look at me. That’s how I’m going to shop myself and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there if that’s not the feedback that we’re receiving.”

Surely, someone will be giving Jackson a shot at being at the top of the depth chart, even if it’s only for a year or two.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

I'm only going to believe what I hear coming out of his mouth at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I'm only going to believe what I hear coming out of his mouth at this point.
    Came right out of his mouth. Check my other thread. Matter of fact, it'd be easier to merge this into the one on the Rams Talk forum.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It ain't over to til it's over, but Jackson has seemingly done an about face with regard to staying a Ram.

From this:

“It’ll be something that I look forward to dealing with and handling at the end of the year,” Jackson said, via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, “I’m very optimistic that I’ll finish my career as a Ram.”
    To this:

"But for where I’m at going into year 10, I’m not ready to step back and just become a primary backup or reduced role guy, to be a part of a running back by committee. I still have a lot left in my tank. I still have a lot to offer a team. We’re not talking about someone that is in year 12 or 13. But I understand. I understand the business side of it. I still have a great relationship with the organization and one day I’ll be going back there.”
    Unless this is just a big misunderstanding,looks like we'll be seeing Jackson in a different jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It ain't over to til it's over, but Jackson has seemingly done an about face with regard to staying a Ram.

From this:

To this:

Unless this is just a big misunderstanding,looks like we'll be seeing Jackson in a different jersey.
    The only issue here is that he wants to be a bell cow, and Jeff Fisher want's him to split time with our other RB's. Fisher is right, though SJ will not settle. Last year SJ just wasn't as effective as he usually was.

I'm willing to bet if Pead gets the same amount of carries next year as SJ had this past season, he'll have more yards. SJ just isn't an effective bell cow anymore.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

“I’ve opted out of my position of being with the team and being comfortable because I want to continue to still be the bell cow,” Jackson said. “So that’s how I want teams to look at me. That’s how I’m going to shop myself and we’ll cross that bridge when we get there if that’s not the feedback that we’re receiving.”
    Translation this is how SJ can position himself to make the most money. Look he may say and the Rams may say it's not about money buy it is and that's the business side period.

I don't blame SJ for trying to get the best deal he can and the market will set that. The Rams where not going to pay him 7 million period.

I'm not buying he is unwilling to return to the Rams because of the roll it's just part of the process. SJ was kind of set up to look like the bad guy all along.

That's my two cents.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

So SJax wants to go to a good team where he is guaranteed to get the majority of RB carries. He is going to have such a huge fantasy season next year. I can't wait to "overdraft" him.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

The life long Rams fan in me is upset, but the "all good things must come to an end" Rams fan in me is ready for a new era. Good teams know when it is time to move on. I like to think we are becoming one of those good teams...

Personally, I am really excited to see Isaiah "Flash" Pead this upcoming season...and yes that is the nickname I am starting for him right now. Clanrammers can use it accordingly.
    sosa39rams and Haste like this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    " Free agent Steven Jackson says his disagreement with the Rams isn't about money, but it has more to do with his role moving forward. "

- Howard Balzer
    Therefore, it ought not be considered a 'problem'. Long live Jax!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

From this:

To this:

Yeah, you're right. And this is a pretty typical response from players still under contract. Everybody always says "I want to finish my career here", until season's end and it's a better time to speak openly.

Not that I blame Jackson at all for his decision. He's been the ultimate professional and team leader and I'm really disappointed to see him go. But, if these comments are any indication, he's already out the door. It's sad, but we'll find a way to win without him.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I'm not buying he is unwilling to return to the Rams because of the roll it's just part of the process. SJ was kind of set up to look like the bad guy all along.
    I disagree completely. This front office has shown nothing but class in everything they have done since they arrived on the scene. To imply that they "set up" Jackson to look like a bad guy is off base and silly.

The front office/coaching staff wants to use him in a limited capacity in a RBBC approach and think he is worth x amount of dollars in that role. Obviously, Jackson still thinks he can carry the load (and maybe he can...just the Rams don't want him to) and thinks he is worth y amount of dollars.

I'm not sure why you feel like there has to be a "bad guy" in this situation. It's simply a matter of two different viewpoints on Jackson's role and value to the organization. If they can't agree, he will move on.
    THOLTFAN81 and sosa39rams like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

RosieJones is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    The life long Rams fan in me is upset, but the "all good things must come to an end" Rams fan in me is ready for a new era. Good teams know when it is time to move on. I like to think we are becoming one of those good teams...

Personally, I am really excited to see Isaiah "Flash" Pead this upcoming season...and yes that is the nickname I am starting for him right now. Clanrammers can use it accordingly.
    I'd like to throw out Pead Racer for consideration as well.
    THOLTFAN81 and Dwight Frye like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast