Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: SJ's Problem

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: SJ's Problem

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    The life long Rams fan in me is upset, but the "all good things must come to an end" Rams fan in me is ready for a new era. Good teams know when it is time to move on. I like to think we are becoming one of those good teams...

Personally, I am really excited to see Isaiah "Flash" Pead this upcoming season...and yes that is the nickname I am starting for him right now. Clanrammers can use it accordingly.
    I'm gonna swing with "Shade", but I like Flash too!
    Varg6 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    I disagree completely. This front office has shown nothing but class in everything they have done since they arrived on the scene. To imply that they "set up" Jackson to look like a bad guy is off base and silly.

The front office/coaching staff wants to use him in a limited capacity in a RBBC approach and think he is worth x amount of dollars in that role. Obviously, Jackson still thinks he can carry the load (and maybe he can...just the Rams don't want him to) and thinks he is worth y amount of dollars.

I'm not sure why you feel like there has to be a "bad guy" in this situation. It's simply a matter of two different viewpoints on Jackson's role and value to the organization. If they can't agree, he will move on.
    Here is what I'm saying... does anyone think the Rams where going to pay SJ his 7 million? No of course not. But the Rams did not want to CUT or waive him so they let him be the one to void the deal. They let SJ test the market and move on to another team on his own.

The front office/coaching staff wants to use him in a limited capacity in a RBBC approach and think he is worth x amount of dollars in that role. Obviously, Jackson still thinks he can carry the load (and maybe he can...just the Rams don't want him to) and thinks he is worth y amount of dollars.
    Really you know that for sure? No chance Fisher and Les wanted to get younger and move on from SJ? That is possible right? They took a RB in the second round in the first year they where in control.

When I say bad guy I don't fault either side, I know it is what it is... but in the end it will look like SJ left the Rams when in fact the Rams wanted to move on. That's how I view it.

From what SJ said yesterday he won't be back until he signs his one day retirement contract.
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-08-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    live4ramin and Rammed like this.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I was listening to SVP and Russillo earlier today and Jax was on the show for a segment. He said "it is going to be weird to put on a different uniform next year but I am looking forward to moving on."

Reality set in for me that he isn't coming back. Very sad

Rambos is offline Registered User

SJax is on ESPN NFL Live as a guest host... PR time

He's currently going down a long list he could see himself playing for.... making the Falcon the top choice.

Best of luck SJax that is until you play us!
    Last edited by Rambos; -03-08-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Here is what I'm saying... does anyone think the Rams where going to pay SJ his 7 million? No of course not. But the Rams did not want to CUT or waive him so they let him be the one to void the deal. They let SJ test the market and move on to another team on his own.
    Agreed...no way was he going to get 7 mil.

Really you know that for sure? No chance Fisher and Les wanted to get younger and move on from SJ? That is possible right? They took a RB in the second round in the first year they where in control.

No, not for sure...just my opinion. But it falls in line with everything both sides have said. Yes, it's obvious the staff wants to get younger at RB. But Fisher said they wanted Jackson back ( just not at 7 mil as we both know ). I think the staff has enough respect for Jackson's skill, accomplishments and locker room leadership that they did not just want to get rid of him. The proof is that they didn't just cut him as you pointed out. If they had no interest, I think they would have done just that. In addition, Jackson himself has come out said there was disagreement on how he should be utilized and what he has left in the tank.

I think the staff had a very good idea on how they wanted to use Jackson for the last few years of his career and had a monetary value attached to that. Obviously Jackson disagreed. He said as much himself. I honestly believe the Rams wanted to keep Jackson but on their own terms which included working the youngsters into the mix. If Jackson had agreed, I think they keep him...if not, they are just as comfortable moving on. In the end..I think Jackson still sees himself as being able to carry the load and wants to approach the end of his career with that in mind. I think it's the staff's respect for Jackson that made it possible for him to decide how the end of his career would play out, not some back-handed attempt to not look bad in the fans' eyes.
    Rambos and live4ramin like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Truck is offline Registered User

Better wait and make sure he can play before you give him a nickname.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

It makes me think about Marshall Faulk when Jackson came in. Marshall had something left, but he saw into the future with the teams start into decline and chose to bow out. I don't think SJ can see himself as part of this teams future as it starts its assent.

The irony.
    "The horror"

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    The only issue here is that he wants to be a bell cow, and Jeff Fisher want's him to split time with our other RB's. Fisher is right, though SJ will not settle. Last year SJ just wasn't as effective as he usually was.

I'm willing to bet if Pead (and/or Richardson and/or Ganaway) gets the same amount of carries next year as SJ had this past season, he'll have more yards. SJ just isn't an effective bell cow anymore.
    I agree with you, SJax has never been a Marshall Faulk but he's been a more than serviceable; given his all considering his skills; and deserves a shot at the brass ring. I don't think it's about money either so let's wish him well; thank him for his many years of service on teams that have sucked badly; and move on with Richardson, Pead, Ganaway, etc. etc. etc. Maybe, some day, we can retire his number as a Ram even though it won't be when he's elected to the HOD. Good luck and God speed SJax.

RealRam is offline Registered User

FWIW video with Jax interview on NFLN:

Go to:
    http://xfinity.comcast.net/video/jackson-voids-contract-wants-to-start/21153859982

Last edited by RealRam; -03-08-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: URL

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    SJ39 is a goner 100%...

I have faith in Fisher n CO but no faith in Richardson and Pead what so ever. I am not so sure of this move by the Rams, only time will tell.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Is it just me...or does anyone else picture a future where SJ39 has the cruelest irony with the Rams in the playoffs next year, and the team he signs with flopping and missing the playoffs.

That...would be something. And as much as I love SJ i'd rather see my Rams in the playoffs over any team he signs with.
    Varg6 and sosa39rams like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

At the end of the day, it simply appears we are at the endof the road with SJ39......I hope he signs with a team that can get him his first winning record and some playoff football. Rams will be just fine.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The Rams and Fisher are doing the right thing by turning the page on the Steven Jackson era, much as it's painful to say and Jackson fans are upset. You do not let your franchise be held hostage to the past, and going into another year where you allow Jackson to start AND be paid big money is neither sound business nor sound football thinking.

Any serious competitor- especially a proud, long-time starter like Jackson- wants to KEEP starting, and still fancies themselves as a force to be reckoned with. That's the ego talking in a player. History tells us, however, that Jackson will go the route of Emmit Smith, another great back who toiled for a couple of more years (in Arizona) and was a shell of what he once was.

The issue that remains, however, is "who replaces him?" Is it running back by committee? Do we target a big time guy early in the draft? What do we do?

Those clammoring for Isaiah Pead must see something I don't see. In his limited time last season, he showed me absolutely nothing to suggest he's even remotely capable or qualified to be a solid NFL back.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This may seem crazy. I think it's time to move on. Jackson has been the face of our non-playoff RAMS for many years. I hate to see him go now as we seem to be heading into the playoff world of the NFL. It will be Jackson's loss in the end. The good news in my mind is that SAM BRADFORD now becomes the face of our franchise. I really think Bradford will gladly take on the role and prosper.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

We sign Loadholt and draft a stud OL, then we'll see the speed of these youngsters come forth.

.....did I just say "youngsters"? gads

.....did I just say "gads"?
    "The horror"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast