Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: SJ's Problem

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: SJ's Problem

I too heard Sjax interview over the radio and left with the following:

(Sjax)--I wanta play for a team going somewhere having not played with a team with a winning record
    (Sjax)--I don't believe in RB by committee and wanta be the feature back
    (Sjax)--I still have a lot of gas in my tank even at 30

From that I take away its pretty much the end of the Sjax era at St Louis. However, not sure if Sjax isn't deluding himselve somewhat over his own value to a prospective team. A Solo-primary RB in this age of NFL, I don't see a lot of contendor teams going that way. Its like placing all your eggs in one basket and praying your RB doesn't get hurt.

Granted a lot of teams want a multi-use RB like Sjax. More to the point I'd wish the Rams had done more with the use of screen plays to take advantage of Sjax's punnishing running style on teams secondaries throughout his career. Teams like the Pats who run this play affectively love what Sjax brings to the table.

Sjax in his interview made it a clear point he can pass-block. Its a valuable part of the game--and very useful. But into days NFL, Contendor teams either have a really solid O-line (Pats) or have a quick QB like the Manning brothers or A. Rodgers that get the ball out quick, or have QBs like Cam Newton or RG3 that are mobile. A pass-blocking RB isn't as valuable as they once where.

I gotta wonder if Sjax agent sold him a bill of goods not grounded in reality. Of all the contendor teams out there, I can only see two teams that might want Sjax on the roaster...New orleans or Atlanta with perhaps New York (Giants)....after that I don't know where else he could prosper

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Of all the contendor teams out there, I can only see two teams that might want Sjax on the roaster...New orleans or Atlanta with perhaps New York (Giants)....after that I don't know where else he could prosper
    I could see the Packers and the Broncos having some interest. His skills in the passing game could certainly come in handy for those teams. Of the teams above, I think the Falcons are the only team that would want him as well. The Saints and the Giants both have a RB that was recently drafted in the first round.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

(Sjax)--I still have a lot of gas in my tank even at 30
    God bless you, Steven, but every great RB (not named Jim Brown or Barry Sanders) has uttered this same retort.

And nearly all of them were wrong.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    It makes me think about Marshall Faulk when Jackson came in. Marshall had something left, but he saw into the future with the teams start into decline and chose to bow out. I don't think SJ can see himself as part of this teams future as it starts its assent.

The irony.
    Marshall already had a ring when he chose to bow out, so you can't expect the same from S-Jax. The truth is Jackson deserves a chance to play for a contender, and after giving the Rams his all the past decade, I think he has earned it.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    Is it just me...or does anyone else picture a future where SJ39 has the cruelest irony with the Rams in the playoffs next year, and the team he signs with flopping and missing the playoffs.

That...would be something. And as much as I love SJ i'd rather see my Rams in the playoffs over any team he signs with.
    I was thinking the same thing, it would be funny if the Rams went to the Super Bowl and SJax and his team floundered.

Truth is offline Registered User

I know SJ wants to play for a team that has the potential to win it all. We now have zero control over where he might land. Any team beside Seattle of SF are ok. If he winds up in SF, working with Gore....I didn't think I had the capacity to hate the 9ers any more than I do. That would be tested if SJ landed in SF.
    RealRam likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123