Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BigGameMN is offline Registered User

The sky is falling on Rams Nation

I was waiting for a mod to post this but nobody ever did so I figured I would get it up for discussion. Sorry if I overstepped my bounds.

The sky is falling on Rams Nation
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    12/31/2007

So let’s sum up the state of the Rams franchise on the morning after the final game of the 2007 regular season:

Primary owner Georgia Frontiere is hospitalized with a serious medical problem. Her heir apparent, Chip Rosenbloom, has just cursory knowledge of the NFL. He also has very strong ties to Southern California.

Team president, John Shaw, operates the team by remote control from Los Angeles. With Georgia ailing, Shaw is uncertain how much longer he wants his gig.

Football czar Jay Zygmunt appears positioned to consolidate his power, not lose it. P-D columnist Bryan Burwell reports that scouting guru Tony Softli could get the axe in a faux “housecleaning.”

Head coach Scott Linehan has shown no indication he can lead an NFL team into the playoffs. Skepticism abounds, among media types, fans and, yes, the players themselves. Marc Bulger rolled his eyes at him on the sideline. Torry Holt screamed at him. That sums up the locker room sentiment.

Although the team can blame its 3-13 finish on massive injury problems, plenty of young veterans took a backward slide during the team’s collapse. What do the Rams have, really, in guys like Alex Barron, Claude Wroten, Dominique Byrd, Joe Klopfenstein and Marques Hagans?

Then there is the stadium issue. As more teams get state-of-the-art facilities, the Edward Jones Dome continues to sink in the rankings of NFL venues. Soon, the facility here will need more than cosmetic upgrades.

In time, The Ed will need replacing. As long as Los Angeles is without a NFL franchise, any owner seeking better stadiums will have tremendous leverage.

Then there is the issue of the St. Louis marketplace and the local economy. Are there enough disposable dollars in this region to support three pro sports franchises at premium prices?

When a franchise goes bad, as the Blues did, it pays big time. The erosion of the Rams’ fan base will continue in the wake of the ‘07 fiasco.

Unless this franchise makes wholesale improvements during the offseason -– which nobody anticipates -– PSL owners and luxury suite renters will bail in droves. The Rams will need lots of help from visiting fans to sell out games.

When you connect all these dots, the picture is not pretty.

During a 2 ½-hour live chat with Rams fans Sunday night, your cyber-correspondent tried to counsel distraught STLtoday.com visitors. But given all these circumstances, the near-term and long-term prognosis for the Rams in St. Louis is not good.

What could save the Rams?

A white knight ownership group -– like the Dave Checketts/Blues group, only with far more capital -– could swoop in and rescue the operation. Rams fans wish Stan Kroenke would be that guy, since he has the resources and smarts to make it happen.

But Stan is committed to his Colorado enterprises and Georgia may be committed to keeping the team within her family. So the likelihood of seeing a Blues-caliber revival any time soon is not good.

It is far easier to project a total disaster here.

Another dreadful season with Linehan playing out the string as a lame-duck coach . . . a precipitous decline in attendance . . . key Rams bailing via free agency . . . the revised Rams ownership doubting the viability of St. Louis as a long-range NFL market . . . public rejection of future stadium demands . . . heated overtures from LA for the franchise to return home . . . yes, it’s pretty easy to get into Chicken Little mode while assessing the state of the former World Champions.

The Dolphins stink, but billionaire Wayne Huizenga hired Bill Parcells to clean things up.

The Falcons stink, but billionaire Arthur Blank is committed to making things right again.

It all starts at the top of the organizational chart. And what’s at the top of the Rams organizational chart right now is a giant question mark.

Have a nice New Year, Ramfan.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: The sky is falling on Rams Nation

Gee I feel so much happier now being a Ram fan, nothing like good old fasion dispare to brighten a persons day
    :\

But having seen the highs and lows of the Rams from the 70s throughout the 80s and 90s:x...if it takes another 40 years to see the Rams take another Superbowl, so be it
    :l:r

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    .if it takes another 40 years to see the Rams take another Superbowl, so be it
    :l:r
    Speak for yourself, lots of Ram faithful are pushing old and won't be around. For their sake PLEASE we need a winner NOW!

We need Rams to go 16-0 and bring home a Superbowl title scoring 600+ points and over 50 TD passes!

WE NEED THIS TEAM ASAP!!! Just looking out for our aged brethren!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

I'll continue as a Rams fan until my dying breath. Wherever they find a patch of turf to play their game.

Although I may not always have agreed with the way the Rams were run it may not have been all her doing. After all, she has "football people" (although we could argue that) to help her with the operations of the team.

I bear her no ill will, and hope that she either recovers or can pass peacefully with minimal discomfort.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Uh, you mean the Japanese?

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

No, but when the Japanese sank the RMS Lusitania
    it was all the provocation we needed to get involved!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Maybe this will help....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtP3w...=related.....:)

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Oh I've never seen Animal House, my bad.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Oh I've never seen Animal House, my bad.
    Check it out dude, it's a classic!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Watching Animal House for me is like a vet watching a Vietnam movie... I get all kinds of disturbing flashbacks to college.

To get this back on topic... I'll be slightly miffed if the franchise moves out of St. Louis as I finally got close enough to get there once a year at least! However, if it end up with us as a perennial playoff contender... I can suck it up.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

They moved out of Anaheim the year I transfered from LA to across the street from the stadium....I died just a little that day....I still have copies of the LA Times and the OC Register too....I know how Baltimore and Cleveland felt. A team should NEVER do that to their city...EVER!!!!

St.Louis Ram 56 is offline Registered User

Hell I wish the Rams where here in Baltimore, The Raisens (yes Raisens) seem to implode just as well, at least I would have fit in better here in the Stadium...

I like the Rams in St.Louis, I think a coaching change is definately needed, I have even entertained Haslett as Head Coach, In the End we got a losing Season, If you look over the entire History clean Back to the Cleveland days, There where down seasons all allong, But with the Talent on this team, there is no excuse for the record this year..Management needs to get thier heads out of thier rears..

The real winner is Kurt Warner, a million and a half better for it too.. God Speed Kurt

1999 that was a very good year (sigh)

Happy New Year Rams Fans !!!:r

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Don't stop me....I'm on a roll...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Don't stop me....I'm on a roll...
    What is that now, the 3rd....10th....25th....3,277th time that joke has been done here, and THERE ARE STILL PEOPLE BITING ON IT?!?!?!?!

Kudos to you, Alpha. You'll get somebody everytime.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast