Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: The sky is falling, The sky is falling....

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

Re: The sky is falling, The sky is falling....

Im disappointed about the lose but not discouraged either.But with that said i saw some of the same stuff that cost us games last year.Droped balls,lots of safe play calling slants/short routes,Wr's cant get separation definitely cant make any kind of big plays.I dont know about you guys but i will reserve judgement until the season is over but if this offensive scheme continues with these safe routes and not taking shots down the field at all really,i have one thing to say.Spags is not letting Josh run the offense the way he wants and needs to loosen the reigns and let Josh and Sam become the next brady Josh relationship because Sam has the skills.Im going to chalk this game up to week 1 jitters + injuries but still alot of the same from last year that if doesnt change we will have the same season as last and not to mention schedule is tougher so we could be looking at a top 10 pick if this past week was a sign of the season to come.Again im still optimistic dont get me wrong im just making observations not assumptions,i actually think we will have a strong game monday night and show the Giants how good we can be

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Ram View Post
    I understand people's frustration with the game yesterday. We were all hyped up after the big improvement last year and the supposed upgrades in the off-season. However, as has been pointed out, it will take time to adjust to a new offensive system, and the lockout did not help at all.

As far as Sam goes, obviously he was not at his best yesterday, but he was from from terrible. I looked back at some other big-time QBs in their second years, and surprise, they were not always perfect. Bradford had a QB rating of 75.4 yesterday. In Brady's second year he had QB ratings of: 74.7, 44.0, 75.4, 76.0, 67.4, 47.2, 57.6, and 68.5. And that was with a team that won the Super Bowl the year before. Peyton Manning had games of 74.7, 74.4, and 77.2; Aaron Rodgers had games of 55.9, 76.7, 72.9, and 59.8 his first full year (but 4th in the league), and a 57.6 his second full year. Roethlisburger had games of 58.7 and 34.1 on a team that went to the AFC championship the year before. And Brett Favre had nine games below 75.4 his second year.

I would love to see Sam air it out rather than check down so much, but if receivers aren't open, isn't it better to go for the safe yards rather than force it? If he tries to make something from what is not there, everyone would be decrying his immaturity and saying it's all right to take the short gain rather than throwing INTs. We just don't have the receivers right now capable of creating space, or even a guy that Sam can "throw it up for grabs" to and feel confident he will come down with it.
    Its nice and all, the comparisons of Sam numbers put up against other proven NFL QBs who have had success in this league. Just by watching yesterdays game, on national TV and remembering last year's painful showing by Bradford, in the season ending loss to Seattle, his overall technic has alot to be improved. This years #1 pick out of the draft is getting praises despite a loss, last years #1 pick is getting question marks as he starts out with a loss to begin his sophmore season. Cam's already making waves with a less talented Carolina team. But as Rams fans screw the comparisons, focus solely on 'Our Guy', Sam needs to definitely work at it, but the sky's not falling on him yet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Those of us who were at the dome apparently saw the whole picture while the TV audience must have been watching a replay from one of the games from the Linehan era. I don't see things quite the way some people do - yes, there was some bad things, but if not for the injuries, and if not for some of the crappy officiating, we would have either won or been extremely close to winning.

Guys, let me tell you - without Smith at RT, Sam didn't have time to do squat. Without Jackson, the ball wasn't going to go far in the running game. Without Amendola, Sam didn't have that "sure-handed" target. And without Sam, we had Feely. That is enough to make you proud that they kept on fighting until the end. Two years ago we would have seen white flags waving by the end of the first half. It was much different yesterday.

The strangest thing is that this is the very first time I have seen the Rams lose, and I was not in a bad mood afterwards. It must be because I saw the effort the team put up yesterday. Not perfect, but not quitters, either.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I applaud your positive stance. That said, I think the disappointment on this board is more than justified. To play like we did in the opener coupled with the injuries and the ridiculous schedule that lies ahead is more than enough to make one discouraged. Much more is expected this year- and I'm not just talking about winning a crappy division- I'm talking about good, solid football week in and week out. With the additions this team made both to the roster and the coaching staff (McDaniels), plus Spags in year three, there is simply no excuse for undisciplined, fundamentally poor football.
    It's a rare thing but I totally agree with you. Long term, none of it except the injuries may mean anything- The Rams have bounced back before, but if fans weren't shocked by the familiarity of The Rams' second half run D/QB contain collapse & unfamiliar lack of discipline and impact by key vets overall, then they are in denial,imo.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Cam's already making waves with a less talented Carolina team.
    Wait... so are you saying we have receivers more talented than Steve Smith? That we have tight ends more talented than Olsen or Shockey?

Yes Newton deserves praises but come on it was against the Cardinals. Do you think he puts up 400 + yards against the Eagles?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I appreciate the general sentiment, but I think the message is filled with a number of large exaggerations.

I've probably read at least 80% if not more of the live and post game posts on the board, and I would not say that anywhere close to every post or even the majority of posts have been "doom and gloom," "sky is falling," "season is over" types. It was a negative game in many facets, so the reaction is going to be negative. However, I've seen very few people giving up on the season entirely or of the mindset that the ship cannot be righted.

Furthermore, I think it's a massive exaggeration to claim that people are giving up on Bradford or think he's the worst QB in the world. The guy had a bad game, and there's nothing wrong with fans holding him accountable for that just as every other position is held accountable for their mistakes. I've not read one post since this game where someone has suggested the Rams should move on from Bradford or that he's an awful quarterback. Maybe I'm just missing all of those responses, but I kind of doubt it.

So while I appreciate the sentiment of the thread, and agree that one game is way too early to start drawing conclusions about the rest of the season, I would encourage a more tempered and accurate response. I think NJ said it well - given the kind of frustrating mistakes, errors, and issues we saw yesterday, I think the disappointment is justified.

There is an obvious distinction between (1) fans who had an overall negative reaction for what was a pretty frustrating game, and (2) fans who believe the sky is falling, the season is over, and the Rams can't possibly fix what we saw yesterday. I'd say the vast majority of fans likely fit into the first category, but yet it seems like your thread is directed at what is probably a small minority of those in the latter.
    Fargo Ram Fan likes this.

Rammed is offline Registered User

There are enough negatives to take from this game, because there where enough. Take it as a wake up call.

Injuries will hurt any team (Colts anyone?) especially a young team on the way up.

But there are also enough positives. We are getting praise around the league for our pressure on Vick (Sapp and Cowher). Also pointing out that a pocket passer would have had a horrible day because of how fast our defense is.

I'm getting ready for the Giants, a game I saw more opportunities before the season then against the Eagles. Giants might also be without Hakeem Nicks because of a knee injury. I'm hoping for our defense to get the turn overs and the offense cut down on the mistakes (also named by the OP).

Amendola "might be back in 4 weeks", hoping for it. Time for Pettis to step up I guess..........

Oregon Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Its nice and all, the comparisons of Sam numbers put up against other proven NFL QBs who have had success in this league. Just by watching yesterdays game, on national TV and remembering last year's painful showing by Bradford, in the season ending loss to Seattle, his overall technic has alot to be improved. This years #1 pick out of the draft is getting praises despite a loss, last years #1 pick is getting question marks as he starts out with a loss to begin his sophmore season. Cam's already making waves with a less talented Carolina team. But as Rams fans screw the comparisons, focus solely on 'Our Guy', Sam needs to definitely work at it, but the sky's not falling on him yet!
    Man, memories can sure be short. Last year Sam was getting TONS of praise as a rookie quarterback, much like Cam is getting now. He had an unremarkable first game this year against what might be the best pass defense in the league. And I don't necessarily agree that Carolina is less talented than the Rams right now. The year before last they were 8-8 and were seen as a quarterback away from making a push to the playoffs. Obviously their QB play was horrendous the following year and the team tanked, but the talent around that position was still solid. Now they have what initially appears to be a solid QB and still have much of the other talent they had before.

And by the way, what are your thoughts on Vick in the game? He had 18 incompletions, and some of his passes were all over the place. Are you not "sold" on him either?

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

I honestly have no idea what this thread title means!
    Semper Fi!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

We will learn a lot more about the Rams this week, than what we learned on Sunday. What I mean is; how the Rams respond to a bad loss, some key injuries and a very tough opening schedule will be all-telling.

Are the Rams really ready to take the next step?

Well, if you're really talented enough, deep enough and dedicated enough, they'll get it together and stay competitive. Maybe even win a few games out of the first seven. If not, they're just pretenders and not ready for prime-time. We shall see.

Let's face it, the Eagles were a very tough matchup. Historically, the Rams have problems with scrambling QB's. Why? Don't know. I would say probably because they lack enough athleticism throughout the lineup. But it was a tough match-up even with everyone healthy. The Rams were not, and they got burned. They also helped beat themselves as much as the Eagles did. I think the matchup next Monday night will give use a better gauge on where they're at.

Can they win w/o Jackson? Can they win w/o Bradford? Bartell?

Well, if they're really a team ready for the next step, the answer would be "yes". If not, well, we all know the answer.

The sky is not falling, but the sky definitely got a little darker.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

MoonJoe is online now Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    lol The title to this thread made me laugh. As MoonJoe said " The sky is falling and has a low altitude" or something along those lines... It's just a game I'm not worried about it. We will learn, regroup and be ready next Monday. SJ will be back.
    The sky is falling, The sky is falling....-comic-book-guy.jpg

The sky is an an extremely low altitude and descending rather quickly...
    PA_gal_in_OK and ZiaRam like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comic Book Guy.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	2629

The sky is an an extremely low altitude and descending rather quickly...
    LOL Wala there it is!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12