throwback week

View Poll Results: DO NOT VOTE YET- READ BELOW--- To which party do you devote yourself?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • SLOP

8 50.00%
  • SLAP

4 25.00%
  • SLIP

4 25.00%
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

SLIP, SLOP, SLAP- A Call to Arms

SLIP, SLAP, SLOP- a Call to Arms

I'm wondering where everone pledges allegiance. We have our definite forefathers of SLAP and SLOP, and they have made their voices heard around the board. The vocal leaders have fought for their respective viewpoints.

So I'm asking, what about the middle ground? There must be many who haven't decided yet. Who won't devote themselves to Linehan, nor do they want to call for his head, yet. So I'd like to take the time to call to arms the respective leaders to lay down their viewpoints.

I'd like to propose a middle party. SLIP- the Scott Linehan Indefinites Party. For those who don't really know.

Because what I'm wondering, more than anything, is where we all stand. So what I propose is a thread where we bring together SLAP and SLOP to bring out their best and brightest. Summise your Party Points in an attempt to sway your readers and voters toward joining your party.

This way, we can determine where the clan really lies. What the majority of voters think, and how the Clan as a whole feels about Linehan and the work he's doing with our Rams. As such, maximum participation would be fantastic.

I've made contact with the figuredheads of both SLAP and SLOP, and have been given the nod to post. (Avenger, I didn't get a PM in return, assuming that's a good thing? Did you get it?)

So before you cast your votes, read what SLAP and SLOP have to say, and make up your now informed mind.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -09-28-2007 at 12:48 AM.

helorm341 Guest

Re: SLIP, SLOP, SLAP- A Call to Arms

Can't we come up with some better acronyms?

anyway, i voted for slip. I'm guessing slap was pro linehan and slip was undecided? Kinda unclear, but I"m undecided about him. I'm pissed at LInehan right now, but he has the rest of the year to show me what he's worth before i sell him down the river

It's interesting, is what it is.

Unless I can be swayed, I sit firmly in the middle right now. I'm willing to give for the injuries, however, you have to wonder how much of our success, or lack thereof, is attibutable to the decisions made by Linehan and the coaching staff.

For instance, there have been some questionable calls.
    4th and 3 for a botched 56 yard FG?
    The insane amount of hitch passes and short outs thrown by Bulger on the weekend?
    The decision to keep in in there when we knew he was badly hurt?
    Greg Olson?
    Klopfenstein, Byrd, McMicheal, Owens AND Walker?
    We don't know how much of a risk Claude Wroten is
    Should McCollum be playing some guard over the abhorrent Milford Brown?

However, the potential is there. Look at what this offense could be doing if it was in capable hands. Haslett has (it seems) made strides along with Linehan to sure up the defense. Will Witherspoon, Pisa Tinoisamoa, Leonard Little, Tye Hill and Adam Carriker are all signed long term. These players are those upon which to build a defense. What they're missing is a vocal leader. The worst thing that ever happened to this defense, aside from Larry Marmie, was losing London Fletcher. He STILL makes plays. We need a Londeon Fletcher somewhere on the defense.

Chillar has been one of our best to start the season, Ron Bartell has thrived under pressure and Wade and Atogwe have really played quite well.

But the crux of the matter is this- We're 0-3, 4-10 since week 5 of last year. But the progress is there. There was enough potential on this team to lead some to believe we were playoff bound. We still could be. We're only 3 games in, and if the OL can get it together, we could be in with a shot.

It all starts up front, and I'm willing to give Linehan a mulligan for losing Pace, Setterstrom, Steussie and Incognito. That's 60% of our starting OL, and our #1 backup. Incognito returns soon and the fire he showed in camp really excites me. I truly think he will be a great player, and the anchor of this OL in years to come. You can't win without scoring, and that is something he's failed to do, and you can chalk it up to poor execution from an offense with a battered set of protectors.

Sway me.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Member of SLAP

Here is why.

This was a bad football team, thatís why we made a coaching change at the end of 2005. Looking at the numbers, we are moving in the right direction. I challenge any member of SlOP to find one article stating the Rams offense, going into the 2007 campaign will be a big question mark. We all talked endlessly about NT, DT (Jenkins trade ect). We all knew going into this seasons that the defense was going break or make us. Go back and read some draft threads, what do we need to improve our defense was the discussion. As a member of SLAP, I know why the numbers are down on the offense side of the ball. As for the defense I give credit to Linehan our head coach for jumping on that plan and selling Haslett an opportunity. We all know how much Haslett loved the Rams and could not wait to come work at Rams Park.

In 2005 the Rams offense scoring finished 9th in the NFL
    In 2005 the Rams defenses finished 30th in the NFL

In 2006 the Rams offense finished 12th in the NFL
    In 2006 the Rams defenses finished 23rd in the NFL

In 2007 after three games the Rams offense 25th in the NFL
    In 2007 after three games the Rams defenses 7th in the NFL

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

0-4. Why? Holt, Bruce, Wilkins, Hall, Jackson, Bulger, Bennett, Lenny Walls + Injuries.

I haven't seen Linehan on the field not yet anyway.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

SLOP. If this joker's going to play an injured QB every week, regardless of convincing evidence that he should be sitting on the bench, then he has no right to be a NFL coach.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Went for 'SLAP' and I'm sure Coach is doing that every morning as well.

Won't elaborate on my appreciation vote right now but thanks, BBQ, for bringing balance here to all this.

Very nice job amigo.

PossumBoy9 Guest

S.L.O.P.

Linehan has already reached "lame duck" status, IMO. This season is already lost.

Giving Linehan a token third year is simply wasting what could be the first year for another coach, hopefully a legitimate one....which Linny wasn't.

Linehan has no real long-term future in St. Louis. He's already toast. The Rams are going to have a very high, perhaps Top 5, pick in the draft. Do we want him making a very important decision on the Rams future, when he has no future here. He may use the pick to try to fill an immediate need, a recipe for disaster when drafting.

I'll certainly give him until the end of this year, but he needs to go. This team is going nowhere and he has no pedigree, which is something Vermeil had over him & Rich Brooks.

AOE

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    S.L.O.P.

Linehan has already reached "lame duck" status, IMO. This season is already lost.

Giving Linehan a token third year is simply wasting what could be the first year for another coach, hopefully a legitimate one....which Linny wasn't.

Linehan has no real long-term future in St. Louis. He's already toast.
    I'd like to take a moment to welcome the clan's newest resident optiminst

The Rams are going to have a very high, perhaps Top 5, pick in the draft. Do we want him making a very important decision on the Rams future, when he has no future here. He may use the pick to try to fill an immediate need, a recipe for disaster when drafting.
    I disagree. Look at the last two drafts of which he's been at the helm.

Did he address two immediate needs in round one in Adam Carriker and Tye Hill?
    Have the both looked impressive as starters?

These are two players, Carriker especially this season, who have come in and contibuted right away. The fact that you don't hear Carriker's name means he is doing is job. It is downright astounding that he has been able to make the transition he has from DE to NT, and to play at an NFL starting level four weeks into his career is a fantastic achievement. In short, these are two players who look to be future stars of the defense and future leaders of this team. I commend Linehan for drafting both.

We move on to Mark Setterstrom, Claude Terrell, and Brian Leonard, all of whom figure to make a big impact as future Ram leaders. I think your assesment here is a little off here, mate. I would be happy to see him go into the 2008 draft as the head of the franchise. Look at the options he'd have supposing we do pick that high--Kenny Phillips, Glenn Dorsey, Calais Campbell, Jake Long. I think he has the skills at his disposal to sift through the wad of players available and find the best player to come in and contribute right away.

I'll certainly give him until the end of this year, but he needs to go. This team is going nowhere and he has no pedigree, which is something Vermeil had over him & Rich Brooks.
    I'd like to point out that the only way that Vermiel obtained said pedigree is by becoming a head coach in the first place. Everyone has a first try, and even some of the most prestegious and celebrated coaches in the NFL were shockers their first time at it. I'll bet the Browns wish they held onto Bill Belichick.

I also think that to say that the team is going "nowhere" is a backhanded compliment. It seems to me that through all the injuries, poor playcalling, inability to score in the Redzone, and also the decision to start an injured Bulger, we are moving backwards.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I also think that to say that the team is going "nowhere" is a backhanded compliment. It seems to me that through all the injuries, poor playcalling, inability to score in the Redzone, and also the decision to start an injured Bulger, we are moving backwards.
    I think it is possible to move backwards and I think Linehan and the Rams are headed in that direction.

I am back on the SLOP wagon. SLIP, SLAP, SLOP....love it. Might as well give the fans a way to state where they stand with Linehan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Did he address two immediate needs in round one in Adam Carriker and Tye Hill?
    Have the both looked impressive as starters?

These are two players, Carriker especially this season, who have come in and contibuted right away. The fact that you don't hear Carriker's name means he is doing is job. It is downright astounding that he has been able to make the transition he has from DE to NT, and to play at an NFL starting level four weeks into his career is a fantastic achievement. In short, these are two players who look to be future stars of the defense and future leaders of this team. I commend Linehan for drafting both.
    I had no problem with the Hill or Carriker picks. I think Carriker has been miscast somewhat, due to what Linehan "needed".

I don't agree with using the draft to fill immediate holes. The draft is about the future.

The "need" for TEs led to the Klop & Byrd disasters. Linehan used first day picks to try to fill holes. We'll pay for that waste in the future.

The '08 draft needs to be about the Rams future, not Linehan's third season, a certain "lame duck" one if he gets it.

Use free agency for "needs". Draft the best available players. Luckily, players like Hill & Carriker were arguably the best available.
    Last edited by PossumBoy9; -10-02-2007 at 12:50 PM.