Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

Marc Bulger should sit out the rest of the season - even if doing results in enough of an "excuse" for the Rams' poor showing this year to save Scott Linehan's job for 2008.

As much as I want Scott Linehan to be replaced, I don't want it to be at the expense of Bulger's health. The Rams need Bulger to come out of this season merely wounded, as opposed to permanently damaged. There simply is no point exposing him to additional concussions at this point in a year in which a losing record is already guaranteed.

If I was running the Front Office, I would advise Linehan that he is safe for 2008 if that is what it takes to get him to make the decision for Bulger.

The decision should not be in the hands of Marc, who would bravely suit-up if allowed by the coaches and his doctors. It should be made by the supposed leader of the team, Linehan, for the good of the team's future.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -12-08-2007 at 12:25 PM.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Marc Bulger should sit out the rest of the season - even if doing results in enough of an "excuse" for the Rams' poor showing this year to save Scott Linehan's job for 2008.

As much as I want Scott Linehan to be replaced, I don't want it to be at the expense of Bulger's health. The Rams need Bulger to come out of this season merely wounded, as opposed to permanently damaged. There simply is no point exposing him to additional concussions at this point in a year in which a losing record is already guaranteed.

If I was running the Front Office, I would advise Linehan that he is safe for 2008 if that is what it takes to get him to make the decision for Bulger.

The decision should not be in the hands of Marc, who would bravely suit-up if allowed by the coaches and his doctors. It should be made by the supposed leader of the team, Linehan, for the good of the team's future.
    I'll even go as far as saying if Linehan does make this decision to sit Bulger for the rest of the year that I'll take him back for next year and I wont even complain no matter how bad his play calling is. This seems difficult but it shouldnt be. Risking Bulger anymore this season makes zero sense what so ever. So bring Losehan back if he can pull the trigger on this one.
    Just Fix It

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I feel sure that no head coach at any level, would seek to guarantee their employment by sacrificing their players long-term health. This is an accusation that's been levelled at Linehan before with regard to Jackson and quite frankly, its sheer fantasy. Its also offensive.

As for having to guarantee Marc's future health by promising Linehan his job next year, that's ridiculous. It isn't "what it takes". I feel equally sure that the players wouldn't put up with it either.

Linehans position will be decided upon a review of the entire season not upon the final four games.

the question needs to be asked. Why did it take till Friday for this to happen? Bulger has been telling anyone who would listen that he did not feel good but still Lineham was figuring him to start.

Now, the guy who has never started a game has only one day to get himself ready to play.

Very very bad.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Marc needs to be placed on IR, no need to have him play again this year, even if he is cleared.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I agree with Av. Linehan let Bulger start a couple of games early in the year where he was too banged up, I hope he doesn't allow it again. We don't need to risk Bulger's health, in that context whether Linehan stays or not is a minor concern.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    the question needs to be asked. Why did it take till Friday for this to happen? Bulger has been telling anyone who would listen that he did not feel good but still Lineham was figuring him to start.

Now, the guy who has never started a game has only one day to get himself ready to play.

Very very bad.
    Bingo !!!!!!!

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post

Very very bad.
    From what I read and understand is that Bulger passed his neuropsych test and was feeling fine until after Thursday's practice. So that's why it took until Friday.

Sources: Bulger won't play Sunday
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/07/2007

Quarterback Marc Bulger did not feel well following meetings Thursday, and is now listed as questionable for Sunday’s game in Cincinnati.

By official NFL definition, "questionable" means a player has a 50-50 chance of playing in that week’s game.
    But two sources have told the Post-Dispatch that Bulger will not play Sunday. That means Brock Berlin -- who has yet to throw a pass or play in a regular-season game -- will make his first NFL start.

Coach Scott Linehan said early Friday afternoon that he will decide what to do at quarterback within the next 12 to 24 hours.

Backup quarterback Gus Frerotte also is out with a partially torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder.

"Marc had really what I thought were two very good practices Wednesday and Thursday, but that’s the objective part," Linehan said. "I guess the subjective part is he didn’t feel really good after (Thursday) afternoon’s meetings.

"Because of that, it puts some questions in my mind as to whether or not he should be cleared to play. . . .We’re not going to put a guy out on the field if there’s any doubt whatsoever when it comes to these kinds of injuries. Or any injuries."

Linehan knows better than most when it comes to the risk of playing with concussions. His brother Ron passed away two years ago from Alzheimer’s disease following a football career in which he had numerous concussions.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger should play whenever he passes all tests, and feels well enough to do so. Period. He's being paid to play football and if and when he's well enough to do so, then he should play. Whenever that is.

Seven (or is it eight now?) players on IR, plus numerous other injuries and personnel losses too numerous for me to recall. I doubt one more is going to make the difference.

Sounds to me like maybe some are beginning to understand just how devastated this team has been this year with all the injuries, and that maybe, just maybe, Linehan has been dealt a hand that nobody could win with.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

From what I read and understand is that Bulger passed his neuropsych test and was feeling fine until after Thursday's practice. So that's why it took until Friday.
    (On if he’s definitely starting on Sunday)

“I wouldn’t say that. I haven’t been able to do anything for the last 10 days. There was a baseline test. I passed that. That was just to get me back on the practice field. I’m going to keep talking to the doctors and keep monitoring how things go the next couple days and we’ll go from there.”
    I got the feeling Marc was not going to play, he wanted to take his time with this. No real surpise glad he's out. I hope Linehan got the rookie some reps during the week.
    Last edited by Rambos; -12-09-2007 at 10:25 PM.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

While I am on record as not having utmost confidence in Bulger's ability to carry the Rams deep into the playoffs I can and do recognize he is a great talent and helps give the Rams their best chance to win.

That being said I don't think we mortgage the future by allowing further injury in a "lost" season. Marc should sit while we test Berlin's abilities over several games in an attempt to discern if he is a capable and dependable understudy or just another flash-in-the-pan.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

To me, it's a no-brainer. You don't risk the long term health of the franchise (QB), when your season has been lost for at least a month now.

Discretion is the better part of Valor

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I agree with Av. Linehan let Bulger start a couple of games early in the year where he was too banged up, I hope he doesn't allow it again. We don't need to risk Bulger's health, in that context whether Linehan stays or not is a minor concern.

Funny how some of you guys praised Bulger for being this tough as nails type of guy (which he's not, he's as fragile as they come) because he supposedly put his health on the line for the sake of the team early in the season. Now it's pile on Linehan for starting him. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.

Marc Bulger is a grown man last I checked. Why should Linehan be held responsible for Bulger's health if Bulger is cleared by doctors and is willing to take the field? You guys kill me with this type of nonsense.

Listen carefully guys...There is no one in the world who can make me go to work if I feel I am not physically able PERIOD

Not necessarily talking to you RamOfDenmark, but your post is indicative of the kind of nonsense we've been reading around here from those in favor of canning Linehan.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-09-2007 at 02:53 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    As for having to guarantee Marc's future health by promising Linehan his job next year, that's ridiculous. It isn't "what it takes". .
    ...and yet, isn't it interesting that Shaw just so happened to give Linehan a vote of confidence for next year this week?

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    Sounds to me like maybe some are beginning to understand just how devastated this team has been this year with all the injuries, and that maybe, just maybe, Linehan has been dealt a hand that nobody could win with.
    No, I still don't believe that. I simply recognize the substantial likelihood that the Front Office feels that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater
    Funny how some of you guys praised Bulger for being this tough as nails type of guy (which he's not) because he supposedly put his health on the line for the sake of the team early in the season. Now it's pile on Linehan for starting him. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
    Not at all. A player should always want to play. A coach, on the other hand, needs to be the voice of reason and veto players who should not be playing.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Not at all. A player should always want to play. A coach, on the other hand, needs to be the voice of reason and veto players who should not be playing.

See the edit of my prior post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast