Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16
    PeoriaRam's Avatar
    PeoriaRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,173
    Rep Power
    39

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post

    Sounds to me like maybe some are beginning to understand just how devastated this team has been this year with all the injuries, and that maybe, just maybe, Linehan has been dealt a hand that nobody could win with.

    There's a difference between simply losing, and the team not even registering a pulse in losses. Guess which category the Rams (unfortunately) fall in. We don't expect victories with injuries of this magnitude. We do expect that the team does not get routinely pantsed in losses that they played rather listlessly in.


  2. #17
    RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Funny how some of you guys praised Bulger for being this tough as nails type of guy (which he's not, he's as fragile as they come) because he supposedly put his health on the line for the sake of the team early in the season. Now it's pile on Linehan for starting him. Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
    To clarify, I do believe Bulger is a tough fighter of a player. In the sense that he's always willing to go out there and give all that he's got, he's mentally tough and he'll play with an injury and never even complain about it. Physically after all the injuries he's had I'd have to say yes, he does appear to be a little fragile - as far as I know he's only finished one full season without injuries (last year). Mentally tough, physically a bit fragile.

    That said can't you see that there's a big difference between playing injured when the season is on the line compared to when you're already out of contention? To me there's no doubt you should be willing to take more (more, not any) chances in the former situation. Right now there's no reason to take any chances, we're done for the year. There's also the type of injury to think about. Broken bones are one thing, concussions something else entirely. Do you know anything about concussions? They can last for quite a while and you run a big risk of a second concussion when you play with one, and that can really aggrevate your condition. Ultimately if you get too many you'll end up with brain damage, this is serious stuff not to be taken lightly. Too many concussions will end your career, look at what happened to Troy Aikman. In light of all this it's a no-brainer to sit Bulger. Bulger himself even said to reporters that he wasn't sure he could start, coming from a tough competitor that has played a lot with injuries and pain that's something I feel you should listen to. Besides I believe he failed on the second of his mental tests a few days ago as well.

    Linehan let Bulger start early in the year when he was clearly not fit to play, you could see it on the field easily. His ribs were broken, he couldn't go through the motion of passing properly, his accuracy was shot, he couldn't throw it fast enough, he plain sucked because of the injury - everybody could see that. At that time we had Frerotte on the bench who hadn't taken a snap yet, I absolutely thought putting him in there gave us the best shot to win while at the same time not taking any chances with Bulger's health allowing him to come back to help us later in the year. Benching Bulger for a couple of games was a win-win situation. I also said exactly this back then, this isn't some 20-20 in-hindsight view I just cooked up today or yesterday. Some of the most sturdy Linehan supporters even thought so too. Looking back at it, it should be even more clear that it was a mistake letting him play than it was while it was going on.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Marc Bulger is a grown man last I checked. Why should Linehan be held responsible for Bulger's health if Bulger is cleared by doctors and is willing to take the field? You guys kill me with this type of nonsense.
    As I said I think Bulger is very tough mentally and very willing to play injured, we've all seen that in a lot of games. While that can be good, it can also be too much. It's absolutely Linehan's responsibility to both put us in the best possible position to win (don't let Bulger play if he's not capable of being effective) and protect our long-term investment in our QB (don't let him play if it's probable that he will sustain more serious injuries because of it). You have to look at the player in practice and you have to talk to the doctors, you can't just take the player's word for it, the tough players will say "coach I'm ready to go" while they're wheelchair-bound and being fed through tubes. Making that call on who gets to play is 100% up to the headcoach and he should consider both factors: can we win now with this player and what are the longterm consequences of my decision. Linehan botched that call, it doesn't kill you to admit a mistake even if you support Linehan 100% (I readily admitted that Linehan had called a great game against the Saints for instance), everyone will make mistakes sometimes. It's just a matter of how many mistakes are you going to accept from one person and in my view Linehan used up his quota of excusable mistakes long ago.

  3. #18
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,506
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    To clarify, I do believe Bulger is a tough fighter of a player. In the sense that he's always willing to go out there and give all that he's got, he's mentally tough and he'll play with an injury and never even complain about it. Physically after all the injuries he's had I'd have to say yes, he does appear to be a little fragile - as far as I know he's only finished one full season without injuries (last year). Mentally tough, physically a bit fragile.

    That said can't you see that there's a big difference between playing injured when the season is on the line compared to when you're already out of contention? To me there's no doubt you should be willing to take more (more, not any) chances in the former situation. Right now there's no reason to take any chances, we're done for the year. There's also the type of injury to think about. Broken bones are one thing, concussions something else entirely. Do you know anything about concussions? They can last for quite a while and you run a big risk of a second concussion when you play with one, and that can really aggrevate your condition. Ultimately if you get too many you'll end up with brain damage, this is serious stuff not to be taken lightly. Too many concussions will end your career, look at what happened to Troy Aikman. In light of all this it's a no-brainer to sit Bulger. Bulger himself even said to reporters that he wasn't sure he could start, coming from a tough competitor that has played a lot with injuries and pain that's something I feel you should listen to. Besides I believe he failed on the second of his mental tests a few days ago as well.

    Linehan let Bulger start early in the year when he was clearly not fit to play, you could see it on the field easily. His ribs were broken, he couldn't go through the motion of passing properly, his accuracy was shot, he couldn't throw it fast enough, he plain sucked because of the injury - everybody could see that. At that time we had Frerotte on the bench who hadn't taken a snap yet, I absolutely thought putting him in there gave us the best shot to win while at the same time not taking any chances with Bulger's health allowing him to come back to help us later in the year. Benching Bulger for a couple of games was a win-win situation. I also said exactly this back then, this isn't some 20-20 in-hindsight view I just cooked up today or yesterday. Some of the most sturdy Linehan supporters even thought so too. Looking back at it, it should be even more clear that it was a mistake letting him play than it was while it was going on.



    As I said I think Bulger is very tough mentally and very willing to play injured, we've all seen that in a lot of games. While that can be good, it can also be too much. It's absolutely Linehan's responsibility to both put us in the best possible position to win (don't let Bulger play if he's not capable of being effective) and protect our long-term investment in our QB (don't let him play if it's probable that he will sustain more serious injuries because of it). You have to look at the player in practice and you have to talk to the doctors, you can't just take the player's word for it, the tough players will say "coach I'm ready to go" while they're wheelchair-bound and being fed through tubes. Making that call on who gets to play is 100% up to the headcoach and he should consider both factors: can we win now with this player and what are the longterm consequences of my decision. Linehan botched that call, it doesn't kill you to admit a mistake even if you support Linehan 100% (I readily admitted that Linehan had called a great game against the Saints for instance), everyone will make mistakes sometimes. It's just a matter of how many mistakes are you going to accept from one person and in my view Linehan used up his quota of excusable mistakes long ago.


    Let me try to make this real simple guys. Color it any way you want but Marc Bulger is the only one in this world responsible for his own health EXCLAMATION POINT

    Linehan is responsible for putting the best possible players on the field. If Marc Bulger is cleared by doctors, and says he's ready to play, what qualifies Linehan to dispute that? Wait, don't answer that.....I'll tell you what qualifies him...Nothing that's what.

    This is only an issue for those with a vendetta.

  4. #19
    Rambos's Avatar
    Rambos is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Cali
    Age
    49
    Posts
    8,614
    Rep Power
    65

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Linehan is responsible for putting the best possible players on the field. If Marc Bulger is cleared by doctors, and says he's ready to play, what qualifies Linehan to dispute that? Wait, don't answer that.....I'll tell you what qualifies him...Nothing that's what.
    Marc was cleared to practice, he was never cleared by a dcotor to play in the game. what is your point?

  5. #20
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,999
    Rep Power
    163

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Let me try to make this real simple guys. Color it any way you want but Marc Bulger is the only one in this world responsible for his own health EXCLAMATION POINT
    That is 100% wrong... period. If a player wants to play at the risk of his health, a coach has to exercise veto power.

    Linehan is responsible for putting the best possible players on the field. If Marc Bulger is cleared by doctors, and says he's ready to play, what qualifies Linehan to dispute that?
    When it comes to head injuries, its just not that simple. You can find a doctor to "clear" a player, but that does not mean the player is not risking his long term health by playing.

    This is only an issue for those with a vendetta.
    Yours?

  6. #21
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,506
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That is 100% wrong... period. If a player wants to play at the risk of his health, a coach has to exercise veto power.

    Fortuninerhater: Avenger, if you weren't the leader of the crusade to fire Linehan, your statements might have some credibility. Have you sunk so low that you're know accusing Linehan of forcing injured players to play to save his job?



    Avenger: When it comes to head injuries, its just not that simple. You can find a doctor to "clear" a player, but that does not mean the player is not risking his long term health by playing.


    Fotuninerhater: Not talking about "head injuries. Read my initial post again my friend.


    Fortuninerhater: This is only an issue for those with a vendetta

    Avenger: Yours?
    Fortuninerhater: Aren't you the leader of the "fire Linehan" campaign?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -12-10-2007 at 11:09 AM. Reason: to clarify who said what

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,999
    Rep Power
    163

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Aren't you the leader of the "fire Linehan" campaign?
    Yes. What does that have to do with anything? Did you not read the title of this thread?

  8. #23
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,506
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Yes. What does that have to do with anything? Did you not read the title of this thread?

    That was my response to the vendetta question. Just wanted to clarify, thank you.

  9. #24
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,083
    Rep Power
    106

    Re: SLOP's Position: Bulger Should Sit Even If It Saves Linehan's Job

    If Bulger's head is okay? I say he plays. period

    There are still some chemistry issues between Drew Bennett, Randy McMichael and Marc Bulger. Not to mention the experience that our rookie RB/FB needs playing with our starting QB.


    :r:l

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Live
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-26-2007, 08:01 AM
  3. Bulger Headed for Big Year
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
  4. Bulger Focusing on the Future
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-21-2006, 07:25 AM
  5. Bulger Healthy, Happy with New Staff
    By .ramfan. in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: -02-16-2006, 11:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •