throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Smart teams spend little in free agency/Gosselin

Smart NFL teams spend little in free agency

I love what the Green Bay Packers have done thus far in free agency.

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

The Packers haven't signed any players in free agency nor have they lost any. The Indianapolis Colts also haven't signed any players.

Football is figuring out what baseball discovered in the 1970s – you can't buy a championship. Which is contrary to public perception.

There's a frenzy in the fan bases of 32 NFL teams each off-season. Spend. Buy free agents. The bigger the contract, the better the signing. If you're not spending, you're not trying to get better as a football team.

Au contraire.

The Green Bay Packers haven't panicked in free agency at the thought of Aaron Rodgers or another quarterback in charge. The Cowboys, Cleveland Browns, San Francisco ***** and Seattle Seahawks each signed a free agent to a contract in excess of $39 million last off-season. In addition, the Washington Redskins gave aging middle linebacker London Fletcher a $10 million signing bonus, and the Jacksonville Jaguars gave journeyman offensive tackle Tony Pashos another for $9 million.

All the while, the New York Giants were sitting out the spending spree. To borrow a Jerry Jones term, the Giants were "keeping their powder dry."

The Giants wound up signing one free agent to fill a specific hole on the depth chart, bottom feeding in late March for linebacker Kawika Mitchell. They gave him a modest one-year, $1 million deal.

Mitchell is now wearing a Super Bowl ring – and 2007 multi-millionaires Leonard Davis (Cowboys), Eric Steinbach (Browns), Nate Clements (*****), Patrick Kerney (Seahawks), Fletcher and Pashos are not.

In 2006, the Indianapolis Colts signed only one free agent, and he wasn't even a position player – kicker Adam Vinatieri. The Colts wound up winning the Super Bowl.

In 2005, the Pittsburgh Steelers also signed only one free agent – wide receiver Cedrick Wilson – to a four-year deal worth less than $10 million. He didn't even start for the Steelers. But guess who won the Super Bowl that year?

Free agency never has been and never will be the answer. Teams are realizing the game's best players no longer become free. So the smart teams invest their salary cap dollars in re-signing their own players.

Back in the 1990s, you could sign a difference-maker like Reggie White or Deion Sanders in free agency. But with each passing year, the quality of free agents decreases, yet the quantity of the money increases.

I had breakfast with an NFL head coach last week, and he shook his head at the fiscal craziness, saying that average players are getting superstar money.

There were 112 players signed in free agency through the end of business last week. Only 28 of them were primary starters in 2007.

The annual list of signees has become a litany of older players (safety Sammy Knight and offensive linemen Alan Faneca and Damien Woody), players coming off injury (guard Justin Smiley, defensive tackle Chuck Darby and cornerback Jason Webster), players who have lost starting jobs (running back Chris Brown and defensive backs Drayton Florence and Tank Williams) and underachievers (offensive tackle Kwame Harris and wide receivers Jerry Porter and Keary Colbert).

In short, expendable commodities.

Talented young starters still in their 20s such as running back Michael Turner (Atlanta), linebackers Landon Johnson (Carolina) and Demorrio Williams (Kansas City), and safety Gibril Wilson (Oakland) in this year's class of free agents are few and far between every off-season.

You can count on the fingers of two hands the free agents this decade who have played to the level of the money and duration of the contract.

So the smart teams don't overreact to the market and offer superstar money to non-superstar players. You rarely get what you hope for – and what you pay for – in free agency. The smart teams don't sign contracts they will live to regret – teams like Green Bay and Indianapolis.

Smart NFL teams spend little in free agency | Sports News | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas
    Last edited by ramsplaya16; -03-22-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: LINK

Built RAM tough

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

Re: Smart teams spend little in free agency/Gosselin

Green Bay have since signed Chillar..

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

well to look at the pack...(i hope im wrong as i want it to be the rams) i think they are gonna be the team to beat over the next 3-5 years,they have so much young talent,in virtually every position and those that are not,a good vet is filling the hole!

im not sure there was any strategy by the Giants to win the SB this time last year....TC altho held onto his job,was really a "dead-man walking" (i liked TC before he slightly mellowed a teensy weensy bit,long time good coach IMHO!)the Giants altho gave him another shot,didnt have a great deal of faith in him..so were tight on the purse-strings rather than saying something like "Tom you a great coach with a great team ,that only needs one more average player and we can start getting measured for rings"!

in general,the teams that dont add much in FA are of play-off calibre to begin with.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I agree Ramblin, Their line two years ago was rookies that learned on the job and gelled. last year they took Farve to the NFC championship. Now they have a young QB, young, fresh RB, young, but experienced O line, and a trio of wideouts that are all unique to themselves. The defense is more veteran, but that can be fixed in the draft, namely the best corner available when they pick. They could use another TE, just wait till the Rams start shedding dead weight.

They've done very well for themselves and they looked primed to stay atop the NFC for a few years at least.

Mooselini Guest

Green Bay did infact sign Chillar...

But, I guess its right. The other two guys above me are right. Green Bay is a young team with an experienced line. I think after this year and next year's draft, we could very well be like that.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i`ll have some of that!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

One thing to note here is that they didn't sign anybody, but they didn't lose anybody either. Kind of makes you wonder how things might have gone if we had been able to retain guys like Bryce Fisher or Kevin Curtis (whose departures have contributed to turning former team strengths into weaknesses).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 81~BIG-GAME View Post
    Green Bay have since signed Chillar..
    Okay, but does that somehow negate the main point of the article?

itsguud is offline Registered User

Green Bay, Seattle, NYG... I'm sorry, but these are all terrible examples for you're article. GB and NYG didn't spend money in FA cause they didn't need to. Sea, did and it helped their team was again very competitive last year.

We cheer for a team that has too many holes to fill in one or even two drafts when you look at the fact that generally only your first two picks ever become starters.

You made a nice arguement but, theres no way it holds up. WE NEED TO SPEND.

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    Green Bay, Seattle, NYG... I'm sorry, but these are all terrible examples for you're article. GB and NYG didn't spend money in FA cause they didn't need to. Sea, did and it helped their team was again very competitive last year.

We cheer for a team that has too many holes to fill in one or even two drafts when you look at the fact that generally only your first two picks ever become starters.

You made a nice arguement but, theres no way it holds up. WE NEED TO SPEND.
    Green Bay didnt need to spend? last time i checked they finished the same as us in 2006 at 8-8. we dont need to spend huge either, we were decimated by injuries last year, without those injuries we could have been at LEAST an 8-8 team, and that would have been worst case scenerio.

The Giants also had an 8-8 season in 2006, so what makes you think that teams that had the same exact record as us in 2006 didnt need to spend, but we do?
    Built RAM tough

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    ...these are all terrible examples for you're article...You made a nice arguement but, theres no way it holds up. WE NEED TO SPEND.
    He didn't write this...it's a repost of an article. We do need to spend, but with the little cap space we had we would have had to blow it all on one guy, and then had none left to resign Jackson. We have to get out of this cap hell and it's gonna take us a few years to do it.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -03-22-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    He didn't write this...he plagarized it from Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning News.
    i posted the author of the source in the title...its not like i took credit for it
    Built RAM tough

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    i posted the author of the source in the title...its not like i took credit for it
    I didn't notive that...my bad.

no prob, its all good, just wanted 2 make sure you didnt think i intended to
    Built RAM tough

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm wondering as well, why we NEED to spend? We need to grossly overpay for subpar talent? We need to do that? How about we find a few fair priced, solid and on their way up guys like Bell and Brown, and then have a good draft where we find a number of rookie role players.

The Giants had an amazing draft that put the team together. That's how they won. They had holes too, they needed a corner, they needed wide receiver depth, they needed TE depth. But that's the key. They needed depth players. Only one of their rookies actually started the first game.

The Packers had three rookies starting on their line in 2006 I believe(I could be wrong). Jennings and Jones are 24 and 23 respectively. They got where they are because of their drafting. The best argument you can have against that is Ryan Grant. They didn't overpay for him, though, they traded a late round pick for him at the end of the preseason for depth.

So no, we don't NEED to spend. We need to sit our butts down and see who is out there. We need to look hard and find the bargain player who will be able to succeed in our schemes. Then, we need to draft the same way and get some solid role players from that. Look at the Patriots. They spend all kinds of money last year in free agency. They won free agency. But are they wearing XLII rings? I think not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast