supachump is online now Registered User

Smith and Goldberg Re-sign w/ Rams

I didn't see this posted elsewhere... from espn.com

The St. Louis Rams improved their veteran depth at two positions on Friday, re-signing linebacker Raonall Smith and offensive lineman Adam Goldberg, two players who had key backup roles with the club in 2006.

A five-year veteran, Smith rejoined the Rams after spending the first two months of the free agency period exploring his options with other teams. An unrestricted free agent, Smith can play both outside linebacker positions, and, for a St. Louis team that is thin at the position, he figures to be a top reserve in 2007.

His one-year contract includes a base salary of $595,000.

Smith, 28, played the first four seasons of his career with the Minnesota Vikings before signing with the Rams as a free agent in 2006. He appeared in all 16 games last season and registered 24 tackles. The former Washington State standout was Minnesota's second-round pick in the 2002 draft.

He missed his entire rookie campaign with a shoulder injury suffered in the preseason, and his career never really took off during his Vikings' tenure the way the team had anticipated it would.

Goldberg, 26, also began his career with the Vikings, signing with the club as an undrafted college free agent in 2004. After two seasons with Minnesota, including a 2005 campaign in which he logged 12 starts, Goldberg was traded to the Rams in 2006.

The former Wyoming star has appeared in 44 games and started 20 of them. Goldberg can play every offensive line position with the exception of center and most of his starts have been at tackle. His one-year contract is for $850,000.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Re: Smith and Goldberg Re-sign w/ Rams

Good news. Gives us good depth and it is always helpful when you can retain players who don't have to learn the system. Also the second year is when free agents tend to get really comfortable and I wouldn't be surprised if Smith makes a bigger contribution this year.

keith m. klink Guest

they are both still young , and i wouldn't mind seeing a little bit larger contract for both of them , but especially goldberg, 2-3 years would have been a little more suitable i think , he is a proven backup and starter , and still quite young .

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm happy to have both of these guys officially back on the team, but it does bug me that they didn't sign Goldberg to a longer contract. Looks like the FO isn't done shopping for front line talent yet.