Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    punahou is offline Registered User

Re: Smith at Right tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    With Jason Smith making a jump in competition level to the NFL and adjusting to playing out of a three point stance, I think it makes sense for him to start out at right tackle where if he makes some mistakes, at least Bulger won't be blind-sided. I also think surely he's a better run blocker than Barron, and this will give us one more year to see if Barron has any kind of future as a left tackle. A lot of people have noted that he did look better there than on the right.
    This is hilarious.All of the we need the best LT available yea-sayers pre draft are OK with this?Ill go back to all my pre draft posts where I mentioned this about Barron, and advocated us taking Curry then the next best OT in rd 2.So now we draft a a LT at 2, are about to give him..... dunno?--- 35 million? to play RT in training camp so we can give Barron the chance he should have been given anyhow to play LT.H E L P

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    This is hilarious.All of the we need the best LT available yea-sayers pre draft are OK with this?Ill go back to all my pre draft posts where I mentioned this about Barron, and advocated us taking Curry then the next best OT in rd 2.So now we draft a a LT at 2, are about to give him..... dunno?--- 35 million? to play RT in training camp so we can give Barron the chance he should have been given anyhow to play LT.H E L P
    I was pro OT, not LT. As Barry points out ,you need good tackles on both sides to be consistently effective. Why would it have been ok to pay an MLB #2 money but not a RT-probably-franchise- LT-down-the-road ?

I don't think Miami would have started their first mini camp with Jake Long at LT if they'd had Barron.

And I know that the O they ran helped him be successful as rookie LT. Lots of 3 step drops, the Wildcat,shorter passes & Pennington making quick safe decisions.I hope we do the same for Barron and/or Smith. I think Long would have been beaten like the proverbial redheaded stepchild in our offense last year.More than his pre-draft rep as a sure thing at LT; exaggerated in hindsight by some,imo, went into his success as a rookie LT.It's still the exception,rather than the norm.Even Pace had growing pains.

I like the idea of every player, rookie or vet, having to earn their spot. If Barron sticks at LT, I think in Spagsville, he will have earned it. I see that as a good thing. Plus I think Smith will almost certainly be an upgrade at RT in this" laughable" scenario.

I know you wanted Curry,Punahou, but how can having two good tackles work to our disadvantage ? Surely you don't want Barron to fail?

I'm nervous about the guy as well but I think he's good enough to warrant a shot. And I certainly don't want him signed to a fat contract next year if he ends up on the right.

If that happens, J Smith probably WILL be the LT-the investment has been made or milk/Curry spilled- and we could concentrate on getting a mauler RT with a later 2010 pick, if necessary.

If we are looking for a starting LT next off season, Devaney is in deep doo-doo. And given where the pro-Curry alternatives went in the draft, the rest of the NFL didn't think we would have found that LT this year,either. I doubt you'll agree but the point can only be proven either way over time now.

Actually, a successful Curried Ram draft would have been even more dependent on Barron being the starting LT,imo.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-03-2009 at 02:09 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Granted that Jason Smith is even willing to return kickoffs. But as stated already in a couple of posts, all this is rather a moot argument being that the speculation is mainly anticipating training camp.

Still, TC + Preseason sometimes produces surprising moves. But from this keyboard in front of me ... I would like to see Smith at LT and the Barron at RT (where he's learned to grow up [I believe]).

Here's a Ramsalute of confidence to these two tackles as our OL should improve in '09 w/their help!
    Last edited by RealRam; -05-04-2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Speleen

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

We need TWO good tackles to provide the platform we need for a functional running game and passing game. Smith, if he stays at RT (Which I'm of the opinion that he should this season) will be just as valuable there as he would be at LT as he'll give us a real push in the running game.

You just can't assume that the RT position is of less importance and can therefore be filled with a 3rd or fourth round pick. As Smith himself has said, its a unit, a 'fist' and the RT is no less important for that.

RT's were still selected for the pro-bowl last I looked and I'd be delighted if the extra competition pushed Barron to excel.

Smith at RT?

Absolutely and I'm sure Jackson would agree.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    I'm not sure if you'd call me one of these "yea-sayers" given that I was pretty high on Curry, but I think it would be a different story if we were talking about Monroe as opposed to Jason Smith. Like Azul mentioned, though, the bottom line is that the protection needs to improve, and the coaches ought to put the players wherever they need to in order to make sure they're maximizing the talent they have available.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123