throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Smith seems like perfect fit for Rams

From Missouri roots on up
    BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Free agency is less than a month away, and look for the St. Louis Rams to make a run at Bengals defensive end Justin Smith.

Word around St. Louis is that the Rams need a defensive end, particularly one - like Smith - who can play every down.

St. Louis-based Jim Steiner is Smith's agent, and Steiner's initial negotiations with the Bengals were among the most contentious in franchise history. Smith missed his rookie training camp and did not sign until the day before the regular-season opener.

The Bengals like Smith, and he has given them top effort and productivity, though he will have a hard time living up to being a No. 4 overall pick (2001).

The sixth-year pro started every game in 2006, extending his streak of consecutive starts to 91. He led the defensive line in tackles for the fifth consecutive season, and his total of 110 tackles ranked second on the team.

His 7.5 sacks were second on the team, as well, raising his career total to 41 - fourth in franchise history.

Smith grew up in Holt's Summit, Mo., and as a former University of Missouri star would be a popular signing by the Rams from a public-relations standpoint.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Re: Smith seems like perfect fit for Rams

Smith would be OK if the price is right. I would not give him high dollar especially not in this years free agent market.

I hope the Rams focus on a couple of LB Briggs or Thomas(BALT)?

GO RAMS

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I wish we could get Thomas but I just don't see us reaching out for him or Briggs...Unless its stated, I just have my doubts about us bringing in a guy like that. It'd be AMAZING, but I doubt it crazyhorns...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

majorram is offline Registered User

I would rather have Grant than Smith!!!! and Grant knows Haslett well

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Smith would be OK if the price is right. I would not give him high dollar especially not in this years free agent market.

GO RAMS
    It is possible the Bengals will franchise Smith if they decide they want to keep him. And Adalius Thomas .... We will likely see alot of him ... it is rumored that the Whiners are going to make a strong run at him. They have approximately ten million more under the cap than we do to play with. We need two DTs and another DE. If we can hit on two out of three in FA, we will significantly improve our D. IMHOP at least ....

MASSIVE Guest

Talking Re: Smith seems like perfect fit for Rams

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post

GO RAMS
    Why would we sign Briggs? Can he play the sam postions? Isn't his natural postion the weakside-Don't we have a weakside LB already(PISA)? We need to sign Sands(DT) and Grant(DE) and if we wan't a LB so badly lets draft Patrick Willis

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd be quite happy with signing Justin Smith, and I think we need a DE in free agency more than we need a LB or anything else. If we get him or Charles Grant I'd be glad. I don't have a strong preference between the two. Of course I'd also like us to look at guys like Adalius Thomas, but he will probably be one of the most sought after free agents in the league.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Justin Smith. Hmm, I'm rooting for our own Victor Adeyanju in his shophomore year. I believe he will continue to develop and improve -- and that is saying quite a bit for this DE!

I also think that Brandon Green will improve our DE quality.

MASSIVE Guest

Unhappy Re: Smith seems like perfect fit for Rams

From Fox Sports:

Justin Smith - #90 - Defensive End - 6'4" - 275lbs
    News: The Bengals reportedly plan to franchise tag defensive end Justin Smith.
    Impact: He's not one of the NFL's top-five players at the position, but Cincy is staying in a 4-3 and Smith is a solid contributor at right end. His agent has said Smith is willing to play under the tag, so a holdout isn't likely. The one-year tender would guarantee him $8.3 million in 2007. (Sun. Feb 11, 2007)
    :\

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

John Clayton on ESPN Sunday morning says that the Whiners are going after both Samuels and Clements along with a top free agent LB or two. Clayton says don't be surprised to hear that the Whiners have signed 4 free agent starters on the defensive side of the ball.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    From Fox Sports:

Justin Smith - #90 - Defensive End - 6'4" - 275lbs
    News: The Bengals reportedly plan to franchise tag defensive end Justin Smith.
    Impact: He's not one of the NFL's top-five players at the position, but Cincy is staying in a 4-3 and Smith is a solid contributor at right end. His agent has said Smith is willing to play under the tag, so a holdout isn't likely. The one-year tender would guarantee him $8.3 million in 2007. (Sun. Feb 11, 2007)
    :\
    Supposedly the Saints are going to franchise Grant.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not so sure about Smith. He's been stuck with about as bad of a defense with the Bengals as the Rams have and really hasn't made that much of a contribution.

Last year, had a blistering opening game then fell off.

RealRam is offline Registered User

TX, is that you!?! Great to see you back!

Missed your D input, whether on this DE Smith or...you name it. Best wishes friend.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yep Jorge, it's me. Had to take care of some things this year but now I can come up for air.

It's great to be back.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Just to play devil's advocate here, is anyone concerned about character with regards to Smith? Hypothetically, we could have a starting D-line that reads Little (DUI), Kennedy, Wroten (Possession), Smith (DUI).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast